• Thread starter Barry98
  • Start date
  • Replies 3K
  • Views 596K

Discuss HALL of SHAME PHOTo`s in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think who ever has replaced the boiler on the left thought rather than switch it to a vertical flue kit he has just thought can't be arsed with that and slid it down the same lead slate and turned a vertical flue into a horizontal flue bobs your uncle.... Guys got skills :D Long way up as well lol

Ripped this Ariston Combi out today after turning it off yesterday, no flue seal whatsoever between inner and outer flue, made my hand wet with condensation and didn't need to use the flue test point to get a analyser reading haha
a2709e1cbd1a93400c7dd64ac48c07d4.jpg
4a633cf64cf4192765d1617dd3197def.jpg

f2ebe5d5a6f5a97489ab892e1953fea3.jpg

Went to install some kitchen taps and found this when looking for the stop tap. It has only been in a week. I left water and power off and told him to get the installer back and check his qualifications! The list of faults is quite high!

f2ebe5d5a6f5a97489ab892e1953fea3.jpg

Went to install some kitchen taps and found this when looking for the stop tap. It has only been in a week. I left water and power off and told him to get the installer back and check his qualifications! The list of faults is quite high!
Speedfit City!!
Can't see how the expansion vessel will work!
Nice joinery on the stand tho:dead:

I'm correct in saying the EV should be after the PRV aren't I?

(I don't do unvented)

Yea, - after the PRV, between it and the unvented unit it is supposed to be for.
Nothing is to be fitted on that pipe except perhaps a drain off.

Went to classic lxff today and found the case bracket had broken off and been repaired with silicone
image.jpgimage.jpg

Last edited:
Lovely pipework and soldering. Gas heating job, what a joke!

image.jpg

Last edited:
Take a look at this soldered joint I melted off. Literally holding by a solder thread and all joints seem same. Some of the pipes are also cut at a bad angle, obviously with a hacksaw. Pipes half in, barely soldered. This is original work (30 years old) on a system now converted to combi high pressure in a flat.
Really shocking "plumbers" could do such consistently useless soldering.
image.jpg

Take a look at this soldered joint I melted off. Literally holding by a solder thread and all joints seem same. Some of the pipes are also cut at a bad angle, obviously with a hacksaw, (this one in photo is done badly with a pipe cutter) Pipes half in, barely soldered. This is original work (30 years old) on a system now converted to combi high pressure in a flat.
View attachment 26251

Note the fitting shows bare copper never soldered also. I am removing every fitting above the floor, but it is a worrying thought that the pipes are buried in screed floors. Not a good idea to even move the pipes

Last edited:
not clean enough before soldered

Take a look at this soldered joint I melted off. Literally holding by a solder thread and all joints seem same. Some of the pipes are also cut at a bad angle, obviously with a hacksaw, (this one in photo is done badly with a pipe cutter) Pipes half in, barely soldered. This is original work (30 years old) on a system now converted to combi high pressure in a flat.
View attachment 26251

Note the fitting shows bare copper never soldered also. I am removing every fitting above the floor, but it is a worrying thought that the pipes are buried in screed floors. Not a good idea to even move the pipes
Come across that a lot on stuff fitted in the 70's and 80's. Some that are fully soldered you can snap off easily. Might be a combination of bad cleaning and the flux but it only seems to be on stuff from about a 10 year span. Saying that it is unusual to find soldered copper stuff from the 60's or earlier. It was all compression or paraffin blow lamps for lead then.

Come across that a lot on stuff fitted in the 70's and 80's. Some that are fully soldered you can snap off easily. Might be a combination of bad cleaning and the flux but it only seems to be on stuff from about a 10 year span. Saying that it is unusual to find soldered copper stuff from the 60's or earlier. It was all compression or paraffin blow lamps for lead then.

after 30 years warrentys probably void

not clean enough before soldered

Maybe, but it also can happen with lack of flux and/or blasting too much heat at the fitting.
It is a very common fault I believe in the methods plumber use to solder. I have the habit of melting off soldered joints to replace the joint and I find this with many fittings.

after 30 years its done its job,may be ****e but its held up,move on folks,nothing to see here

True :smile: it has somehow by luck held until now, but my point is the joints have been very weak from first day and obviously that plumber would have one or two leaking joints frequently.
Also joints like this will crack easily if we touch a pipe to connect onto and really got to be gentle with any pipes not being replaced. You never know what way a joint is done

:D

"Nice and neat inside your cupboard! No DIY kit fitted here, Outside tap done properly"

CjYVrHmXEAAfxMY.jpg

outside tap whats missing :D

How are we supposed to know that from your photograph?

""Nice and neat inside your cupboard! No DIY kit fitted here, Outside tap done properly""

if you read above it :D

Gate valve on Mains no double check valve although there may be a dble check valve on incoming mains and check valve in bib tap...brum

Gate valve on Mains no double check valve although there may be a dble check valve on incoming mains and check valve in bib tap...brum

check valve in bib tape not allowed unless existing install
needs check valve after iso valve to tap as you could contaminate your water supply
your right on gate valve tho

Always under impression that check valve in tap with dble check above main stop tap is adequate...this is how we are doing new builds in Scotland and never any issues with building control,Scottish Water or NHBC.....am I missing something...brum

Now that's worth more debate than a dodgy outside tap glad I'm not the window cleaner lol

image.jpg

Spotted this today what's missing :D

I know it is not plumbing, but I was asked to remove an old light fitting (all in one unit that you wire directly to) and replace with a standard pendant. Wires were crammed together just past ceiling level. As you can see, some idiot years ago must have used the brass connector blocks from the original ceiling rose. Obviously decided to just ignore the earth wires also. Lethal for electrocution or fire risk.
image.jpg

I know it is not plumbing, but I was asked to remove an old light fitting (all in one unit that you wire directly to) and replace with a standard pendant. Wires were crammed together just past ceiling level. As you can see, some idiot years ago must have used the brass connector blocks from the original ceiling rose. Obviously decided to just ignore the earth wires also. Lethal for electrocution or fire risk.
View attachment 26461
Bloody hell,thats Lethal

Bloody hell,thats Lethal

Yes, scary! That was today and in a rental flat and by the aged look of the plastic light fitting, a good 20 years old probably. I don't even like using the plastic terminal blocks to wire to, unless they are enclosed in a electrical wiring box. So easy to touch bare parts of the live cables.

Yes, scary! That was today and in a rental flat and by the aged look of the plastic light fitting, a good 20 years old probably. I don't even like using the plastic terminal blocks to wire to, unless they are enclosed in a electrical wiring box. So easy to touch bare parts of the live cables.

imagine those touching if no RCD or MCB,S would have exploded

imagine those touching if no RCD or MCB,S would have exploded

Those cables in the photo were pushed fully up into the ceiling void, with little more than from the brass connectors showing.
Funny you mention an RCD, - the flat was built in the 80s and coincidently I had to replace the electric shower about 3 years ago in lower flat also owned by landlady. There was only a cartridge fused consumer unit in each flat - no safety devices whatsoever. I insisted on bringing an electrician to fit a shower RCD, but the guy very wisely said he would fit an RCD for supplying everything. Got him to also fit one on upper flat that happens to have had that light wiring mess.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to HALL of SHAME PHOTo`s in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Good afternoon all, First time posting on this site. I’m need of some opinions from Gas engineers if possible. My house is 1930s (I think). I...
Replies
Views
Good Afternoon all, I am hopeful someone may be able to offer some guidance on the following. In the home we have a gas boiler (serviced...
Replies
Views
This issue arose about a year ago. Does anyone have an idea why I occasionally hear (about once every hour or longer) a hammer related noise...
Replies
Views
My living room smells like a sewer but I can't tell where it is coming from. Not sure where to start looking. The saniflo discharge pipe runs...
Replies
Views
We have an all Vaillant setup - an EcoTEC Plus 637 system boiler plus wired VR720 and VR92 SensoCOMFORT controller, driving two CH zones plus DHW...
Replies
Views
Back