Discuss Help needed with a cream coloured nightmare in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaterTight

Esteemed
Plumber
Subscribed
As mentioned previous thread, I broke an unusual slab style basin in a cream colour. Insurance won't pay out. Photos below.

As these are no longer available a section of cream worktop and a cream semi recessed basin (as closely colour matched as possible) seems to be Plan A.

I'm not a bathroom fitter and have zero experience with stuff like worktops and colour matching stuff. It's doing my head in trying to work out how to proceed.

There is a company called National Discontinued Bathrooms (linked to by another member here) who have sent me a letter with 3 plastic coloured samples they claim to be able to have a new basin "re-fired" in. I don't know what this involves? Anyone had any experience of this? This would be nearly £500 delivered. They have a similar name to a company not far from them with terrible reviews so I don't know if I should look elsewhere anyway. The basin is an Ideal Standard studio 56cm semi-countertop basin.

j7pwrq.jpg

The size sounds about right but there is also the cut out shape of the top basin fascia to consider and I don't know if I can be sure if the new basin will cover the cut out (is there enough info in the spec here to work this out? http://www.idealspec.co.uk/uploads/...semicountertopwashbasin56cm1taphole_421_1.pdf)

As for cream work tops I don't where to begin. I'm guessing that because I need one with two finished ends of a specific length it needs to be from a company that offers a made to measure service? Because the cut end can't be hidden against the tiled wall.

I'm worried that if I end up with something that is a similar-ish but still quite different colour to surrounding tiles and units and on top of this a similar-ish but different-to-some-measure-again colour to the re-fired basin it will create a clash that might look worse than if it had just been replaced with white. Which they don't want.

I notice the toilet seat is white. And the grout. Sealant, skirting, door, maybe WC pan? But I guess a white basin and worktop would look horrendous?

I've lost the plot and I haven't even started.

How would you much more experienced and knowledgable (and resourceful) guys proceed if this was your headache to sort?

Would appreciate any advice. Because currently I'm starting to think telling them to replace the whole bathroom and I'll get a second job or a loan for a year to pay for it might be easier than this rubbish. Or they could knock down the house and rebuild the whole thing in cream. Cream from top to bottom. Each cream surface creamier than the last. I've started to hate the word cream with a passion. It flies through my head like a demented mantra. I have nightmares about cream worktops. This is my life now.

Help

2z71xk5.jpg

s1ia13.jpg

2mesc2u.jpg

What about the company's that do invisible repairs?
I think white would look ok, its hardly a new bathroom

White recessed basin and a nice quality bit of worktop of the customers choice is what I would suggest to the customer. Offer to do a nice job on it all.
Some local kitchen company might do the work for you at reasonable cost and you just do the plumbing up to new basin?

Glad to hear two votes for white not being some totally unacceptable suggestion.

Will see what I can achieve down the colour match route (as i've started down the path) but certainly aren't many options for that route that I've found so far and I suspect I'll end up with mis-matches/clashes.

Getting a local kitchen company to do all but piping up actually a pretty good idea there Best (and good ideas is what i'm short of) as I think what's stressing me most is not actually having confidence about how to get something looking good on my own

Replacing the whole lot is going to be in the Plan B section for now I reckon.

Unless you guys think a slightly different cream would look worse than the whole lot/some of what's there changing to white? I'm guess a bright white would stick out more but I don't know. To my eye it looks like there are different creams in there anyway, like comparing the fascia and the remains of the basin. But could be trick of light.

Thanks for eBay link Phil, I'm going round with a few colour samples Thurs, I can try and float the idea of two taps ..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Help needed with a cream coloured nightmare in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all, Desperately in need of help. Getting very annoyed with myself Replaced the click plug in my bathroom for a new Basin Slotted one along...
Replies
Views
Size of bathroom 230cm x 210cm Height 230cm Birmingham Area Initial problem Burst pipe underground in bathroom, concrete. Have had this dug up...
Replies
Views
my bathroom sink (installed 2017) was broken recently and needs replacing. on inspection there is no brand name and only a few markings so I'm...
Replies
Views
Hi, I need some help on this shower drain installation. I’m about to install a corner shower kit in my basement bathroom. But I just found out the...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Got a nightmare situation with a central heating system I recently adopted. It's an open vent system with a combined F&E pipe, with a...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock