Discuss Help needed with a cream coloured nightmare in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
really you just silicon the outside and hope for the best it doesnt move?

As Ron (Matchless) said, I meant I do use pan screws/brackets fixings if possible, but a bead of clear silicone will stop any movement in pan. Also it will fill in any irregularities the tiles or pan have, so making sure pan has full contact with floor.
I have fitted some of the large base modern pans, solely relying on silicone to hold them in place. But they definitely will never move on tiles if pan remains untouched until silicone cures.
I no longer bed the pans on a pile of silicone. It is too strong and wasteful and not easy to do.
A bead put around the already installed pan and then tooled off is plenty as the base of pans always has a stepped edge.
That way you can remove the pan hopefully in the future using a flat blade .

If you don't know what's below the pan, pipes, cables underfloor heating it can risky using good fixings. Some times a brown plug or wood screw the depth of the floorboard and silicon around the outside has to do

If you don't know what's below the pan, pipes, cables underfloor heating it can risky using good fixings. Some times a brown plug or wood screw the depth of the floorboard and silicon around the outside has to do

That’s exactly what I do.
The fixing screws that come with some pan bracket kits must be 3 inch long and seem a bit silly.

As Ron (Matchless) said, I meant I do use pan screws/brackets fixings if possible, but a bead of clear silicone will stop any movement in pan. Also it will fill in any irregularities the tiles or pan have, so making sure pan has full contact with floor.
I have fitted some of the large base modern pans, solely relying on silicone to hold them in place. But they definitely will never move on tiles if pan remains untouched until silicone cures.
I no longer bed the pans on a pile of silicone. It is too strong and wasteful and not easy to do.
A bead put around the already installed pan and then tooled off is plenty as the base of pans always has a stepped edge.
That way you can remove the pan hopefully in the future using a flat blade .

so how do you cope when its the only bathroom and they want to use the pan in an hour

That’s exactly what I do.
The fixing screws that come with some pan bracket kits must be 3 inch long and seem a bit silly.

i use 41/2 as ive had 3" come up / pull out after time

so how do you cope when its the only bathroom and they want to use the pan in an hour

I tell the customers to go elsewhere. :)
Truthfully, the new toilets that are in unoccupied properties, or where the home has other toilets, then no bother as I make sure it is left unused for hopefully a day at least.
On toilets that will be used shortly, I just advise the customer to take great care with it.
Frankly, the large base pans are very stable and I only would be concerned if a heavyweight person was to sit on it.
There is the concern that cleaning chemicals might attack the silicone eventually, but all seem good

Naaa wouldn't approve it my end always screw them down

But you are not always able to screw down. How do you know there aren’t any pipes, wires and god knows what down below?

Shouldn't be any pipes below or in the screed that close any way

Naaa wouldn't approve it my end always screw them down

I still do screw them down Shaun, although often with short screws. Not really going to need the screw fixings anyway as they are almost cosmetic due to not being strong enough if just the usual 2 fixing at rear sides of pan. If the pan can't get slight movement, then no risk of the screw fixings gradually working loose. That's where the silicone IMO helps greatly. Always clear silicone, - white is just too obvious.
Am sure not all tiles are suitable for silicone though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Help needed with a cream coloured nightmare in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all, Desperately in need of help. Getting very annoyed with myself Replaced the click plug in my bathroom for a new Basin Slotted one along...
Replies
Views
Size of bathroom 230cm x 210cm Height 230cm Birmingham Area Initial problem Burst pipe underground in bathroom, concrete. Have had this dug up...
Replies
Views
my bathroom sink (installed 2017) was broken recently and needs replacing. on inspection there is no brand name and only a few markings so I'm...
Replies
Views
Hi, I need some help on this shower drain installation. I’m about to install a corner shower kit in my basement bathroom. But I just found out the...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Got a nightmare situation with a central heating system I recently adopted. It's an open vent system with a combined F&E pipe, with a...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock