Search the forum,

Discuss Help in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dont know if anyone out there can help me with these but I have been given a series of questions to answer for tomorrow!

1) What would cause the gas to remain on after the cooker lid has been closed?

2) Fault with FSD not cutting the gas out?

3) Liquid Expansion Thermostat, what is the fault if the flame remains on high after a the temperature is reached?

4) What is the likely fault on a cooker if it is turned onto simmer and the burner goes out?

5) What is the fault on a solenoid valve if the burner remains on if the solenoid is closed?

6) What is the fault if a thermo electric valve does not fully close within 90 seconds?

7) What is the likely result if a thermostat phial/probe is not positioned in its pocket?

I would appreciate any answers or anywhere that I could find the answers!!

THANK YOU!!

we do not give answers to test questions for obvious reasons,if you post what you think are the answers ,members may point you in the right direction if required or confirm your answers
If you have been given these questions ,surely you have also been given the ref material required to answer them?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry but it is a test of your knowledge and if you dont know then you should not be doing the test I suggest you explain to your tutor why you can not answer the questions

Hi jackyp1234 ... Why don't you give us your best guess answers first? Good to know you know where to come for answers but let us know what you know first eh? :)

The only reference is my BTEC folder and I cant find any of the answers all day, I wouldn't normally ask for the answers but i have sweated over these all day and I am fed up of looking at the questions now! Can any of you guys think of anywhere else to reference?

sorry but if ye dont no the answer to 1,3,4 straight away ye shouldnt be doing gas mate

As above, if you're sitting with the book and the questions in front of you and you still cant even hazard a guess then maybe you should consider a career change mate. Not being nasty but "you get out what you put in" in this game.

What book? The only reference i have is a bpec folder and i cant find out in there, thanks for your help anyway :d

try not to think of these as questions and answers in a book try to imagine they are real life situations ie you have closed a cooker lid and the gas is still alight so what is the fault you probably have the answer in your head so put it on paper

The only answer i can think of for that question (1) is that the grease could be blocking the safety cut out device and it therefore stopping it from releasing and cutting the gas off?

Jackyp1234 - a little helping hand for you .......Q1) Check out the cookers module in your BPEC folder!

Don't get too technical, think about how the mechagnism works and what would stop it from doing so IMO

Last edited by a moderator:
Read the controls section of the folder learn how they work. Then you should be able to answer the questions

Just fit a new cooker not worth messing about with!
Seriously, take your time and work through them methodically you won't learn if you're just told the answers.

Inoperative Lid Closure Shut Off Device, this device is usually fail safe so that when the cooker lid is closed gas will not be available, It is possible for the valve to fail however, even when the lid is in the closed position.....Thats the only bit in my Bpec about this device...

Inoperative Lid Closure Shut Off Device, this device is usually fail safe so that when the cooker lid is closed gas will not be available, It is possible for the valve to fail however, even when the lid is in the closed position.....Thats the only bit in my Bpec about this device...

Module 17 ... p26 ...... 2nd last paragraph written!! sheeeeeeesh!! And that's the only one I'll help you with! lol

yeah thats what I found? but thats not right the question is...````````what causes the gas to remain on? i know that if the device fails the gas will still be allowed through, but thats not the answer they are looking for, already tried it! Thanks so much for replying though!

OKay jackyp1234 ... If you have a valve that you expect to CLOSE and shut the gas off when you shut the lid and it doesn't! Some part of the process has failed yeh! So what part?

you may be trying to hard your not splitting the atom you cant repair a safety device it isnt working what will you do

How about its been tampered with and/or disconnected? (oops my bad!.. next question)

you may be trying to hard your not splitting the atom you cant repair a safety device it isnt working what will you do

I agree billybob .... It's hard jackyp to get your head around all this stuff! If you're stressed out take a breather. It's more important that you know how these things work than ticking boxes for tutors! I had an apprentice that did my head in coz they just couldn't grasp the direction to tighten and untighten a threaded nut ... Took a year and a half!!!! LOL

I agree billybob .... It's hard jackyp to get your head around all this stuff! If you're stressed out take a breather. It's more important that you know how these things work than ticking boxes for tutors! I had an apprentice that did my head in coz they just couldn't grasp the direction to tighten and untighten a threaded nut ... Took a year and a half!!!! LOL

You mean he didn't know of " Lefty Loosey, Righty Tighty??" what kind of stuff are they teaching in schools nowadays? lol

HAHA @ DIAMONDGAS, That has cheered me up! Gonna get an early night and tackle it tommorow thanks for all your help, seems to have generated quite an interest on the forum tonight!

just throw this in

''What would cause the gas to remain on after the cooker lid has been closed?''

the lid being metal not glass therefore no safety devise would be fitted and gas would therefore stay on

Just take your time mate and read all you books carefully and it will come to you eventually. Get yourself a cup of tea, and just read untill your head hurts. I know its boring but it your job at the end of the day and you need to know it to pass.

You'll get there eventually, I really struggled with gas controls and safety devices at first but I got it in the end. Then I had to do flueing and ventilation and I wanted to cry.

HAHA @ DIAMONDGAS, That has cheered me up! Gonna get an early night and tackle it tommorow thanks for all your help, seems to have generated quite an interest on the forum tonight!

We are here to help jackyp1234. I hope you find this place of great assistance and frustration in your development. Welcome aboard :)

Hey if it's any consolation I've been at this game for over 30 yrs and know I don't know it all, still make mistakes, but haven't killed or maimed anyone ....... YET! lol

how come you haven,t got the viper book or the corgi book the viper book explaines most stuff easy plus how come youve not been in a classroom and shown then done it in collage or place were your doing your gas or even on site if your up to answering questions we were asked to strip the cooker down loads of times to find out what was what,id quite willingly help you but carnt give ye the answers mate cos if you dont no and pass come across one while your working on your own we could end up with a house like in another post

i bought the bpec book great book and easier to follow than the viper or the nic one

the questions arent there to trick you and dont look to much into them.

answers like

thermostat stuck in the open position - therefore replace or unstick thermostat is what theyre looking for...

basically knowing that if there is a prob with the stat your not going to be looking at changing or fixing the fsd.

Passed all the questions with ease this morning with a fresh head! was looking faaaaaaaaaaaaaaar to deeply into them! thanks for the advice guys!

I did excatly the same thing, just qualified today, and on the safety controls my liqiud expansion fsd wasnt going to high flame, i was looking for a deep answer and after going outside for 10 mins came back in and they had just taken the phile out just tryed looking too hard

jackyp1234 - Get use to the feeling! When you're let loose on the public you'll get plenty more!!! I've established a 1hr rule! I'f I can't fathom out what is wrong in an hour then I need to make my excuses and leave, especially if I'm hyperventilating and pulling hair! It usually involves the excuse of a need for a part or something:) Thankfully it doesn't happen that often now... :smart:

Well done on passing :hurray:

glad you did ok jackyp were always learning otherwise we wouldnt be here do you have the ISBN for that bpec book i would like to get a copy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Help in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock