Search the forum,

Discuss HMO Disaster not enough pressure to 6 bathrooms in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Took on a HMO a couple of years ago.....8 rooms 3 stories with a shared kitchen and 5 bathrooms. Got a builder in who said it would be possible to put ensuites in every room and he started the work.

6 rooms with ensuites are virtually complete and all throughout he has been saying we can only test once the showers are wired in whether everything works.

Well, I have got nervous and I asked a plumber to come and have a look. He is saying it's a disaster and basically I will have to rip everything out and start again as the system at the property is gravity fed and that he can't drain the tank and fit a pump and tank because the mains pipe is 15mm throughout the whole property.

Absolutely no idea what to do at this point and am pretty devastated as we've sunk so much money into the place.

The HMO is all electric with no gas and there are those small water heaters in the rooms for the sinks. All in all, it's a nightmare. Any advice gratefully received. Cheers in advance.

When you say ‘showers wired in’, are they all electric showers?
If so , 6 electric showers will likely be over 212 Amps if all run together so that will also be a Major Issue. (You are highly unlikely to have more than 100 A incoming to the property)

On what basis was the work taken on? This doesn’t seem a very professional set-up.

When you say ‘showers wired in’, are they all electric showers?
If so , 6 electric showers will likely be over 212 Amps if all run together so that will also be a Major Issue. (You are highly unlikely to have more than 100 A incoming to the property)

On what basis was the work taken on? This doesn’t seem a very professional set-up.
Hi Ben,
We have a very large electrical set up there (inherited) with each room having its own key meter. I don't think electricity is an issue but I may be wrong. Thanks for responding.

Do you have a 3 phase meter eg should have 8 big wires going in and out ?

Actually bought the property with that set up, was 5 shower rooms already in but I came here for a bit of advice.
It's a question of horses for courses.

You'll need a plumber with relevant experience designing 'commercial' (as opposed to 'domestic') systems. Look under 'building services engineers' as well as 'plumbers'.

If you need to sue the builder to recover costs incurred by their incompetence the same firm should be able to provide a report on the work done by your builder that can be used as evidence. With any legal action, remember that (a) you can't get blood out of a stone, and (b) don't throw good money after bad.

If you want to inform yourself of the sort of technical things that need to be considered when plumbing HMOs use the search box at the top right of this page. The topic has been discussed several times over the last few years in the context of HMOs, small hotels, sports changing rooms, etc.

Reply to HMO Disaster not enough pressure to 6 bathrooms in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, and thanks for taking the time to read. I'm trying to work out if the idea I have is practical? The water pressure in my newly renovated house (4 bathrooms is tragic). Current set up is: A hot/cold mixer in the main ensuite which is ok as long as you don't run anything else. One electric...
Replies
Views
Hi I am new to this forum so forgive me if I add this to the wrong place. I have purchased a 2 storeys property which will be converted to an HMO of 6 Bedrooms and 5 bathrooms(3 on the ground floor and 2 on the first floor). The property is derelict now so we will need to rip everything out...
Replies
Views
Hi Everyone, For those who like a long read but I could rally do with some advice. Might be a bit long this. For background. A gardener/landscaping friend of mine is going to install an irrigation system in a customer's garden. He asked me to pop around and measure the pressures and flowrates...
Replies
Views
I have just had a boiler, hot water tank and power shower pump replaced on advice by my plumber. I have two separate boilers, heat/hotwater systems in the house. This boiler was replaced by a combi boiler as it only heats the lounge and master bed and provides hot water to en-suite bathroom and...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Is this set up correct: Attic stop valve turns off the cold water to my bathroom (I think it is the rising main in the attic which I and other residents in the building share as we have shared supply to bathrooms and kitchens) Under kitchen sink stop valve turns off cold water in...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock