Discuss How appliances deal with dirt in the water in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jh72i

Hi folks,
I'm led to believe that water in a normal gravity fed system can contain impurities or, basically, can be dirty. I'm just wondering how appliances deal with this. Reason being I want to try out using a solenoid valve to control the water flow in a certain situation but don't want to have to deal with pressure equalizing holes getting clogged.

Are my concerns real?

Thanks

If it is all installed to the current water regulations there should be no issue with dirt.

Hello jh,:welcome:to the forum.
gravity fed or mains can have impurities/bits.
some appliances come with a small filter on the inlet, for example possibly, shower, washing machine etc.
if you are concerned with whatever you plan to do you could fit an inline stainer before the fitting/appliance

Hi folks,
I'm led to believe that water in a normal gravity fed system can contain impurities or, basically, can be dirty. I'm just wondering how appliances deal with this. Reason being I want to try out using a solenoid valve to control the water flow in a certain situation but don't want to have to deal with pressure equalizing holes getting clogged.

Are my concerns real?

Thanks
hows finland,cold at the moment?

Hi folks and thanks for these replies. Unfortunately the mixed messages leaves me in the same confused situation. I have lived in old houses with a gravity fed systems for most of my life and have never had to deal with clogged appliances. Perhaps they have inbuilt ways of dealing with this besides filters - I mean I have never had to change a filter for example. Maybe they apply pressure or something!?

I wonder why there aren't filters installed already at the point where water exits the storage tank to cleanse the water to some degree. My problem is that once the valve is fitted I won't be in a position to clean any inline filters, etc.? Incidentally, can you point me at what my filter options might be?

Again, really appreciate you taking the time to reply. Thank you.

Oh, and Gas Man I'm fascinated to know how you knew I am in Finland? And, yes, it is cold, white, very still and peaceful around where I am. Some serious snow needs shoveling off the roof though so I won't be cold for long doing that job!

I should, of course, ask if any of you folks know the intimacies of Finnish plumbing systems. They are all direct fed as far as I have seen but wondering if there is some great resource to learn more.

As said you probably won't need any filter/strainer.
I listed a possible option in line with your concern.

the best advise is to follow what the manufacturer of the fitting/appliance specifies,
do they say it needs a filter of some kind? if so fit one otherwise it is likely not needed.

As said you probably won't need any filter/strainer.
I listed a possible option in line with your concern.

the best advise is to follow what the manufacturer of the fitting/appliance specifies,
do they say it needs a filter of some kind? if so fit one otherwise it is likely not needed.

Thanks Simon. Again I really appreciate you taking the time out to respond.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to How appliances deal with dirt in the water in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi everyone, Gas combi Boiler Mains fed in all taps and shower How do I balance the water pressure in all faucets in my flat. Every tap/water...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I am hoping that you can give us some advice. We're in the UK, and have contracted a company to completely refit the first floor...
Replies
Views
So I bought my first flat recently (am in UK) and in a bit of a pickle as the bathroom has turned up lots of problems that weren't picked up by...
Replies
Views
My kitchen radiator is filling with hot water despite my TRV being set to 0. It's blazing at maximum. This goes for the rad when I try two...
Replies
Views
Hello all. I'm new to this forum and need some advice about some concerns about a new gas boiler that I have had fitted by a gas safe engineer...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock