Discuss How far do you travel to quote/work in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott_D

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Just being nosey, I had nothing on tomorrow other than getting the van serviced.
Then got a call about quoting to swap a combi, thought to myself nice easy job.

When I put the address into the satnav its an hours drive, not loads of miles but no major roads so its slow going.

Quote 2hours round trip, then if I get the job 2hours round trip. I wouldnt mind this as I can price accordingly but going to call and cancel tomorrow as any minor call back is another two hours.

How far in miles or time would you travel?

For a boiler change, 1 1/2 hours is probably the furthest I would like to go. Depends on if its a recommendation from an existing customer or an existing customer with another property etc.

Did a pool boiler install a gew years back near Aberdeen.
8 hours each way!

an hour would be the absolute limit and only if was for existing customer, or family

Yeah but you spent a week and a bit....

Was only a tap washer too :biggrinjester:

Shush

i have your number aswell now, more than willing to go into a pink club and write it on a cubicle door!

Do initial "client interview" over phone , then if promising arrange a visit . Best trick is to offer to come and service or repair old boiler ( if no parts req) for £55 . If they good and will get new boiler you mess around and then suck in through teeth fix boiler but normally turns into a sale.

If boiler is a no go or an ID still charge, offer to refund off cost of new one, you get paid a little for drive and then as you are offering their money back your their friend and get 75. % of jobs .

If really local offer to send engineer foc then price repair but sell new one .

If they don't buy newone, we keep two kitchens direct sales men in every van . Sale 100% of time at 200 % of original quote. #roguetraders

usually driving for between say 2 and 6 hours a day. I find that about 2 hours each way is about the most which is reasonable in terms of what's an alright day on the job without having a silly late finish, and still cost effective. Gotta be an early start though - if you're late leaving, the day's half gone. Much more travelling than that, and it makes more sense to lodge away.

Give a basic estimate over phone for standard swap and if they happy with that price and offer the job, visit for proper estimate and sign them up. I never give detailed estimate until they are happy with a verbal one and ask me to do the work as all they do is offer it to their local lad and ask him to undercut in my experience. Only work I travell an hour or so for is oil boilers and Agas/Rayburns, coz they pay better and I carry most of the spares needed.

Anyone who is wanting a quote and who lives more than about 25 miles from me is going to be paying £50 for me to go out and quote them, refundable against the cost of the work if they get me to do it. That sorts out the time-wasters to be honest.

If its worth the money an hour. If I sense a waster custard, then won't go further than the corner shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to How far do you travel to quote/work in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock