Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss How to secure a shower tray in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Morning,I have an Elements 1200 x 900 Quad offset tray. My plan is to support it on marine ply, and I have removed old floorboards and have 18mm Marine Ply as support. I have read that it is best to support it on cement.,
If I bed it onto 5:1 cement mix, how do I eventually finish off between the bottom of the tray and the ply, as surely the gap would be as big as the cement base mix. Everything is level and the walls are quite square, as internal corners go.
Not sure of my next step. Any advice or help please.

Use flexible tile adhesive, you can use a thinner bed.
You don’t say what flooring the rest of the room is going to get?

If everything is nice and level then flooring and silicone bead should cover it

Use flexible tile adhesive, you can use a thinner bed.
You don’t say what flooring the rest of the room is going to get?

If everything is nice and level then flooring and silicone bead should cover it
Thanks for that, what thickness should the cement be. I’m assuming the bed of cement will not be too thick, if a bead of silicone and flooring will cover it.
Floor will just be Lino on top of 2/3mm hardboard
[automerge]1602070702[/automerge]
Off to get flexible tile adhesive. How much would I need to use for a 1200 x 900 tray, and will it stick to the marine ply which has a water seal brushed on it

Last edited:
1 bag should do it, thickness depends on how the tray is but those elements are usually pretty good.
If all is flat level etc as you say then I use a 20mm round notch floor trowel which gives approx 6mm bed. ( survey the bottom of your tray with a straight edge first so you know if there are areas that will need more adhesive)
You want to fully support the base .

Clean off the strange slimy residue from the tray base before you begin ( some sort of mould release lubricant presumably)

Bin off the hardboard if you can use some 9 mm ply and gap will disappear, as Ben-gee suggests use flex tile adhesive rather than sand and cement
I have to agree with the guys above I like to add a layer of 6mm Hardie backer on top of the ply glued and screwed before bedding the tray down, then 6mm floor grade ply laid over the rest of the floor. Town good to see you back posting mate where you been bud hope all is well ?? Regards Kop

I have to agree with the guys above I like to add a layer of 6mm Hardie backer on top of the ply glued and screwed before bedding the tray down, then 6mm floor grade ply laid over the rest of the floor. Town good to see you back posting mate where you been bud hope all is well ?? Regards Kop
Ehup pal , I got naft off with the adverts , blank screen / full screen , funny delayed tipeing etc etc , hope you are well , isnt it about time we retired ?

I’ve got my shower tray in position with 10mm 5:1 cement mix, and shower waste screwed nicely into trap first time,
My question now, is how do I hide the cement around the bottom of the tray.
My Lino floor won’t hide it.
Originally, I was going to raise the tray with legs and bought the specific plastic riser kit. As my tray is a low profile type, this particular strip is too wide for a perfect fit.
Is there any other front sealing kits out there

I’ve got my shower tray in position with 10mm 5:1 cement mix, and shower waste screwed nicely into trap first time,
My question now, is how do I hide the cement around the bottom of the tray.
My Lino floor won’t hide it.

Not much point in telling you as you haven’t followed any of the advice you’ve been given so far.

Looks like I will be using 9mm ply as base for the flooring, as I actually never did use the cement mix, as I posted on here, in case someone commented on this forum about my warranty on the tray not being void.
So, I have actually got Mapei super flexible tile adhesive.
So now going to use the adhesive. Thanks everyone who gave me positive advice.

Reply to How to secure a shower tray in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I've got an issue with the shower tray not being totally flat. As you can see from the photos, it is about 7mm out at one side. It's leaning...
Replies
Views
The left rear floor corner is highest (the shower pan touches/sits on the floor), sloping down diagonally to the front right corner (lowest). The...
Replies
Views
Hi all I have two hairline cracks around shower tray plug waste hole. Is this a concern ? I.e let water in etc through crack ? And any fixes...
Replies
Views
Tray is stone cast resin low profile, 1200 by 900. Suspended floor is receiving all new 18mm P5 chipboard floorboards. There is plenty of talk of...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am looking to install a Mira flight shower tray 760 by 760. I would have like to have removed the existing floorboards and installed battens...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock