Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Intermittent bad / sewage type smell in kitchen in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

First of all, apologies, it seems this topic has been posted but don't believe my specific issue is covered.

So been living in my Victorian house for almost 10 years, no issues. Have 2 bathrooms, 2 loos that all go to a large underground soakaway, I believe. I can only see one soil vent pipe which I assume covers all.

For the last week or so, have had a very distinct foul smell that I guess is sewage (as opposed to a smelly drain type odour) in a very specif spot in my kitchen, as you walk into it. It will come and go, every few hours or so. I cannot for the life of me trace the origin, suffice to say the upstairs loo is diagonally above it by like 6 feet or so. I can see no signs of water leaking and there's zero odour upstairs in any bathroom / loo.

The kids shower drain had been draining very, very slowly and I bombed it with a load of bathroom drain unblocker, needed 2 x 1 litre bottles actually and some plunging to shift the blockage with some unholy gunky chunks of debris coming up during the process so was pretty clogged. Seems to be draining perfectly now and clear. I was hoping that was the source of the smell somehow, but odour still there in the kitchen, driving me crazy thinking it's not as bad, maybe it will still take a few hours to dissapate but it's been more than 6 hours now and odour hasn't really gone away.

Is it possible that the unholy gunk could be partially blocking the soil vent pipe where it branches off internally? Could that cause these unholy odours seeping down into the house / kithchen? Is it an easy thing to sort / diagnose by a plumber?

Many thanks in advance!

Do you have any inline self sealing traps for your washing machine/dish washer or even sink (I hope not) in your kitchen. Or, do you have a utility WC with basin next to your kitchen?

Reply to Intermittent bad / sewage type smell in kitchen in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

T
Hi, I had a new kitchen installed and I have noticed since that there is a sewage smell that is very noticeable first in the morning. I m...
Replies
Views
Hello I have a mystery, my bathroom has a sewage smell appears to get far worse 5pm-9pm. I have plugged my bathroom/sink with plugs and its 100%...
Replies
Views
My living room smells like a sewer but I can't tell where it is coming from. Not sure where to start looking. The saniflo discharge pipe runs...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I would really appreciate your eyes on these pictures - What do you see ? Does anything look strange about the Rockwool insulation to...
Replies
Views
My house is on a block foundation. It needs to be dug around outside and resealed. Estimate was over $30k so that is not an option. When the...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock