Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss is this cowl ok with gas fire? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rolysatch

hi

i've just picked up a decorative fuel effect hole in the wall gas fire. i've got a brick built chimney which this fire is ok with. i'm obviously going to get a gas safe guy to fit it, but i'm just trying to get an idea of what i'm in for.

my question is i have had a look at my chimney's (see photo) and i have a wire bird guard on one pot (which i'm guessing the chimney sweep can push off if need be) and from my research what looks like a GC1 insert in the other? i'm not sure which pot is the one that the new fire will be fitted to yet, but does anyone know if the gas fire can be used without a cowl, or alternatively if it's the one with the GC1 shown on the left of my photo, will that likely be ok to use with my fire?

1.jpg

any advice appreciated, thanks in advance.

thanks for the reply, i was hoping he wouldn't have to get up there as the chimney stack is about 8 foot high excluding the pot and figured it would need scaffolding and then it gets expensive. that's why i asked the question really as i was hoping that what i've got will be ok and he can just sweep it from inside the house.

A GC1 should be ok with your gas fire, as long as its in good shape and not damaged and this is hard to see from pics, if its the cage then a proper terminal will have to be fitted to pot, It will tell you all in th MIs for your new fire,

No it looks like a GC2 terminal

Which will still be sufficient,

chuck a smoke bomb up and see which one it is.

many gas fire are fine with an open pot or with a bird cage. there are more fitted to open pots than anything else. Read the fires instructions, what it say?

dfe fire doesnt need a cowl fm memory anyhow, only needs a bird guard if the jackdaws are nest ing and an anti down draught fitting if it is sucking back which is unlikely unless your in a valley or surrounded by big trees.

depending on what DFE you have bought will depend on the type of terminal you need for example a typical DFE will need a 7 inch terminal and 100 cm2 ventilation,that looks like a 5 inch(125 cm) you currently have so would not be suitable if however you have bought a I/LFE then it would be ok but MI,S over rule,in all cases the flue should be swept and it is good practice but not mandatory to fit a terminal

Ok maybe the flue outlet is /or not ok but what about the room venting for a dfe
and did I read 'picked up' so is it from a skip ebay or what - I thought we did not
endorse fitting 2nd gas hand stuff.................??? centralheatking

To be totally honest I really think that ALL open front dfe's are a nightmare
and really dangerous.

They are poo in terms of heat output/efficiency rubbish to look at after
6 months - they are a bit like having a gas cooker on in your sitting room

most tennants tape cardboard over the open vent anyway to cut out the
essential draft .......

Why not just buy a TV look alike one - ultimately
I advise no gas in rented properties

centraklheatking

Ok maybe the flue outlet is /or not ok but what about the room venting for a dfe
and did I read 'picked up' so is it from a skip ebay or what - I thought we did not
endorse fitting 2nd gas hand stuff.................??? centralheatking

Its brand new from a bandq sale a couple of years ago and I'm only just getting round to getting it fitted now (still a current model). The instructions say a class 1 flue and no room vent required but doesn't make any mention of cowl or chimney pot.

Please put up the instructionson here then we can all see and help you CHK

Thanks yeah I'm out at the moment but will do when I get back. Cheers

Its brand new from a bandq sale a couple of years ago and I'm only just getting round to getting it fitted now (still a current model). The instructions say a class 1 flue and no room vent required but doesn't make any mention of cowl or chimney pot.
class 1 flue is solid fuel spec,min diameter 7-9 inch,so if that 5 inch gc1 is on the flue to be used it is not suitable

Sorry mate u just read original post i thought you bought an ilfe fire . My mistake

A GC1 should be ok with your gas fire, as long as its in good shape and not damaged and this is hard to see from pics, if its the cage then a proper terminal will have to be fitted to pot, It will tell you all in th MIs for your new fire,

Kris if the pot is over 170mm dia then no terminal is required (straight from CCN1)

Kris if the pot is over 170mm dia then no terminal is required (straight from CCN1)

Your right kirk i shouldve just said check MIs ins, they maywell ask for one even at that dia in certain circumstances , leaves ,debri

hi

here's the instructions: http://www.sitehitz.com/gasfire002.pdf and http://www.sitehitz.com/gasfire003.pdf it's not the best bit of scanning but readable.

so my pot's are tall and slender but going by the size of the terminal in there, are they likely to be 7"? is the terminal that's in there now fixed in there or will the chimney sweep be able to push it off with his brush?

Soz mate i thought youd bought an ilfe fire and i didnt think the pot looked like the wider dia pot. Youl have to make sure that the pot is ok dia to be used with fire . But your engineer who fits it will want to check pot b4 he installs the fire even though its high.

thanks kris, hmmm i don't want to do it if it's going to cost loads, or even have to pay out a few hundred just to find out it's going to be a big job. and if i'm likely to need new chimney pots, scaffolding etc it's going to be. it looks like the company that make the fire are called scirroco fires now not winther browne, here's a better copy of the manual from there site http://www.siroccofires.com/pdf/royal600manual.pdf

edit: i've just had a brain wave, i clean gutters for one of my jobs and use a gopro video camera and carbon poles (upto over 40 foot). i'll use that to have a look at the pots in the morning and I maybe able to guage the size of them from that.

It maybe wont cost you anything but the gas fitter will want to check pots anyway to make sure.

So this is a safe answer to this thread and we are all happy ? Chking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to is this cowl ok with gas fire? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Article
A Plumber Who Worked Illegally Gets A Suspended Sentence After Falsely Claiming To Be Gas Safe Registered. A Plumber in Herefordshire was...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock