Discuss Jet Range by Wolseley - DN20 Isolation Valve in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Is anyone familiar with the Jet Range isolation valve DN20 which is operated by screwdriver? Does this valve have a known design fault causing it to fail?

During the retification of the leak in my other thread "Wear And Tear Causing Leaks?" (in another part of the system), the plumber approached this valve behind the boiler intending to switch off the mains cold water supply to the system in question. In doing so he removed the pipe insulation close to this valve so he could access the screwdriver slot. To his amazement, as a result of removing the insulation, the copper pipe popped out of one end of the valve before he was able to apply the screwdriver. Mains water pressure spurted out, causing the plumber to have to stop the 20mm flow with his thumb. He was alone at the time!

Some time later, I walked past the builing and heard a shout for help. It turned out that I could not help by turning off the mains water immediately because there was no other isolation valve in the area. I had to drive half a mile to the water meter at the entrance to my property to turn off the water at the meter there.

Anyway, although the plumber commented at the time that this valve was known to have a faulty design and was no longer on sale as a result, he wants to charge me for a new valve of a different type and for his time because the original valve was by now out of warranty. Is this fair?

any pics of the valve ?

This is the valve in question.

IMG_20190428_170740.jpg

thats not a valve its a non return or check valve eg

Pegler Yorkshire -

and it would fail if its not installed correctly eg not tight enough

yea normally a brass olive in the bottom

So, would it suggest that the installation of this valve was not fully tightened?

yes or mis installed eg not fully in or missing an olive etc or not installing a liner inside the alk pipe

doesnt let go for no reason if its the fittings fault i would expect to see the collar to pop / threads to fail etc

Reply to Jet Range by Wolseley - DN20 Isolation Valve in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock