Search the forum,

Discuss Leaking joint on Aluminium radiators in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

SMB

Hi,

Where the valves screw into the aluminium rads has started to leak (all be it not that much). The system is a ordinary pressurised sealed system. The leak is hardly enough to drop the pressure. The system has been fine for 4yr+, I guess that the rubber gasket has started to fail. I have tightened the joint a bit, seemed to work for 6 months.

Obviously (rad) the system needs to drained down and the joint sealed. What is the best sealer to use on the treads?

1. Be careful, many aluminium radiators have left hand threads on one end, usually the right hand side. It's to make sure tightening up the tail nuts doesn't unscrew the connectors between sections.
2. The best seal would be cleaning the mating surfaces and replacing the rubber rings (normally "O" rings) with new ones.
3. If new seals aren't practical, I'd use Loctite 55. You'd need to rough up the male threads gently with a file.
4. If you can find the make / model of the radiator you can probably find the installation instructions on-line.

Where the valves screw into the aluminium rads has started to leak (all be it not that much).

Do you mean the leak is at the threaded chrome "tail" that joins the valve to the radiator end caps or are the end caps themselves leaking where the caps screw in to the rad?

Thanks for your reply.

The leak is between the end cap and the radiator, not the chrome tails.

If I replace the o ring, what type of rubber should it be made of.

To be honest I don't know what type of rubber they are made from (also some brands of rad use a flat fibre washer instead). If you go to a plumbers merchant and ask about aluminium radiator bushings and seals they may be able to supply them.

I'll admit that when I don't have any to hand I build up a washer/gasket with PTFE tape, not on the threads themselves but build up a seal by putting a load of wraps of tape at the flange and I've never had a problem with them leaking.

Reply to Leaking joint on Aluminium radiators in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have a downstairs rad that has a 23 year old TRV and it's barely heating up. I bled it, and removed the TRV head and it still just gets a bit warm. It seems to be warm over all the rad, not just at the bottom. The rest of the system heats up fine with the other rads getting hot. It's sealed...
Replies
Views
Hi, Short version: I have about 4" of pipe sticking out of a concrete floor in a cupboard. It makes a 45-degree bend as it exists (bent, not with elbows), the last cm before the open end is pretty much straight, but as a result of the bend it is not perfectly round. I mean it is pretty much...
Replies
Views
N
Hey DIY enthusiasts, Just wrapped up a drain installation and wanted to share some quick tips for a smooth project: 1. Plan Smart: Think about the slope, existing pipes, and ideal placement before you start. A good plan saves time. 2. Get the Gear: Collect all the tools and materials you need...
Replies
Views
Nasir Ahamed
N
Good afternoon, I am experiencing a pressure issue with my heating system and was hoping to receive additional insight as to what the problem could be. We have a biomass boiler and stratification tank set up and recently had an issue with boiler pressure dropping off when the system was cold...
Replies
Views
Issue with Samsung air to water heat pump Over past 6 years we constantly get E911 faults, slow flowrate and temp dropping below 10c in the system. The pic below is from the external heat pump unit which has a filter attached to it. When tested we are been told this is not magnetic as we...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock