Search the forum,

Discuss Limescale or what? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the bottom of the toilet around the water line is what I thought was limescale,but no limescale cleaners have moved it. The toilet is thoroughly cleaned every week but nothing shifts it. Bleach fades it so it is less noticeable but even industrial limescale remover does not shift it.
I do not believe that it is limescale as there is no fizzing and bubbling when limescale removers are used. The surface is rough like feeling fine sandpaper so I am at a loss what it can be. I do not want to change the toilet as it is only 18 months old but if no solution is found then maybe I will have to. By the way I live in a hard water area in West Yorkshire.

Get some wet and dry sand paper and see if that will move it. But don't be too rough :)

Then use White vinagar leave as long as possible to soak, may take a few attempts though.

In the bottom of the toilet around the water line is what I thought was limescale,but no limescale cleaners have moved it. The toilet is thoroughly cleaned every week but nothing shifts it. Bleach fades it so it is less noticeable but even industrial limescale remover does not shift it.
I do not believe that it is limescale as there is no fizzing and bubbling when limescale removers are used. The surface is rough like feeling fine sandpaper so I am at a loss what it can be. I do not want to change the toilet as it is only 18 months old but if no solution is found then maybe I will have to. By the way I live in a hard water area in West Yorkshire.

We are in a hard water area and get the very same. I use viakal and leave for an hour, then don the old rubber gloves and rub it off with nylon scotchbrite cloth(green stuff)........works a treat.

Great, I will buy some as I have had limited results with the other suggestions. Thank you.

I have tried morecrete but that did nothing, so I am at a loss as to what it is as it does not fizz like limescale does.

is it dark almost black creeping down the back of the bend ?we found using toilet cleaners diid this to ours and we went back to using bleach

Sainsbury's bog standard 'Toilet Cleaner / Lime Scale Remover' - costs a pound a bottle, and it's brilliant stuff. It's in a blue bottle and has "5x more powerful than bleach" on it.

Remove the water from the pan and soak the pan with the cleaner, and leave overnight.

If it's built up you might need to repeat a couple of times, i.e. leaving it to soak overnight.

If its an old wc then the enamel may have perished and no amount of cleaning will solve it.

If its an old wc then the enamel may have perished and no amount of cleaning will solve it.

Says in post 1 that it's only 18 months old. If industrial cleaner has been use on it, then maybe the enamel has been damaged.

The Sainsbury Toilet Cleaner / Lime Scale Remover I mentioned above is the best thing I've used - better than limescale remover. One of life's rare bargains at only a pound a bottle (I'm not on commission)

To work on it after soaking use one of these cleaners filled with some of the Toilet Cleaner - but be sure to wear rubber gloves... and watch your eyes, glasses would be a good idea...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dishmatic-D...63E6/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1361303857&sr=8-6

They sell them in Sainsbury's (couldn't get their link to work)

If that doesn't move it, it's not lime scale.

Last edited by a moderator:
If people with bad diabetes can stain the pan badly, especially if they don't flush after use.

Thanks I will try this as well, as you say it may not be lime scale because there is never any fizzing as with limescale when the cleaner are used, it is just off white colour but a slightly rough surface.

No don't use wet & dry as you will scratch the glaze surface. Some descalers can ruin the glaze surface so be careful and don't leave in for too long.

TB services is spot on. Leaving pee in the loo without flushing is the cause. I have got it off in the past with a high pressure jet washer and tiny nozzle.

it could be lime-scale especially if its on the water line try "one shot drain" cleaner from B&Q if it is lime scale this will remove it.
however it also could be the glazing that has that has worn and all cleaning will do is give you a temporary fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Limescale or what? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hi all Noticed bad smell in my drain out side put my hand down and it unclogged it for now however I checked my sewer drain and after flushing my...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have an old steel water mains pipe (approx 45mm) that I need to connect to a new pehd water mains (25mm). I can't get at it to create a new...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock