Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Looking for a Plumber for an ELECTRIC Water Heater - Economy 7 - Liverpool in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gemwills

Hi,

I am looking for a plumber in Liverpool. Woolton area. I have just moved into a property with an ELECTRIC Water Heater - economy 7 and it isn't working. I need someone tomorrow morning if at all possible. Can anyone help?

Thanks

Gemma

There a re a few basics you can try yourself first...

Are the immersions switched on? If its economy 7 you should have a back up element that would give you hit water!

Hello!

Thank you so much for responding to this so quickly!

Here is an image, it might help show you the situation.

Do I need to do anything with this red cog?

This is the boiler:

Boiler.JPG

No don't touch the red cog, it's a safety relief valve!

Follow the 2 cables on the floor from the immersion elements, they should go to some switches on the wall...

The economy 7 normally kicks in at like 11pm or midnight I think..?

Check the consumer unit (fuse box? Board,Unit) first

Did you try the boost button?

I'm not really that familiar with that controller, but here is a link to the instructions... Probe more buttons behind the flap...

[DLMURL]http://www.horstmann.co.uk/files/7414/0014/8781/Electronic7Series2-UserGuide.pdf[/DLMURL]

Last edited by a moderator:
I put it on for an hour yesterday and nothing, and tried it again for an hour and a half today and not a thing. It does't make a sound and the whole thing stays cold.

Thank you again for your support with this. I have been watching YouTube videos all day and still no joy!

If you have checked the fuse box & all switches are on then there's not much more you can test without calling a plumber... As the next step would be to see if there's power going to the immersion element.

Hello, thanks for helping too.

I have checked the fuse box on the wall. Is this what you are referring to? Or is there another one I have missed?

Fuse box.jpg

There has not been a tenant in the property for a few weeks. Do it has been off. How long do you think it will take to heat up? If it hasn't been heated for a while, will the one hour boost work?

Have you ever had hot water at the property since moving in?

If yes then maybe the overheat stat in the element popped as they can be temperamental on some systems... There is a picture below with the arrow pointing to the overheat which can be reset, some elements differ slightly... You would have to be careful tho as there are live wires behind the lid of the element so might be safer to call someone in if your not competent in DIY!

image.jpg

There has not been a tenant in the property for a few weeks. Do it has been off. How long do you think it will take to heat up? If it hasn't been heated for a while, will the one hour boost work?

1 hour would normally be enough... The boost normally does the top element, economy 7 goes to the bottom element as that would heat the whole tank!

Ah, ok...

Which one do I look at? Top or bottom? I take it the top one is for the small tank on the shelf and the bottom one for the main tank?

Boiler.JPG

The top element should function on boost... If the controller is set up correctly!

I'm not sure what shelf your on about, but the elements have the cables going to them... The silver caps are covering the electrics!

Could you fold down the programmer cover & take a pic as there are different options to be able to control the manual boost according to the manual!

No I have not had any water since moving in two days ago.

I took the covers off and 'reset' both. I had a pin and it just seemed to push the whole white plastic bit back. I turned it all off by the fuse box before doing so.

I have pressed 'boost' but again, no noise, no sign of life. I have always had central heating and you can hear it firing up. Do these boilers fo that? Here are some pics of them when the covers were off.

This was the top one:
Top one.JPG

Bottom one:
Bottom one.JPG

I pushed them both in....

Here it is:

I have been through the manual and have set everything to factory settings.

settings.JPG

The wiring on one of those elements looks completely burnt through so that could be the problem. Best to call someone...

Sorry for the slow reply, was just having a nice hot shower ;)

Another idea...today, the toilet decided that every time I flush it, it screams and rattles for about three minutes. After doing some research I think it is some kind of air blockage...do you think this may have something to do with it?

Another idea...today, the toilet decided that every time I flush it, it screams and rattles for about three minutes. After doing some research I think it is some kind of air blockage...do you think this may have something to do with it?

It's unlikely to be related... Ask the plumber to look at that too! Sounds like a new fill valve is needed.

The wiring on one of those elements looks completely burnt through so that could be the problem. Best to call someone...

Sorry for the slow reply, was just having a nice hot shower ;)

Awwww mannnnn! I am so jealous! Yes I noticed that too! At least this way, I will save money on the plumber having to diagnose the issue as it looks like we have done it for them! :)))

It's unlikely to be related... Ask the plumber to look at that too! Sounds like a new fill valve is needed.

Great, thanks, it's good to have the right language to use. There is a link under the kitchen sink too! I will be keeping them busy! :)

Quick question...do you think it's safe for me to leave the water heater on all night to see if it does need more time? I don't want to use it, if it isn't safe, or waste electricity.

Thanks!

If its not warm already or making a noise then you may aswell leave it off to be on the safe side, as you would have warm water already if it was working!

The economy 7 might still kick in, but it seems unlikely :/

Still no luck getting anyone out to me. Any idea what this is...it has an arrow to turn it?!?

image.jpg

It's on this part

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It isn't that, call a plumber or your landlord because the neutral on this immersion has fried.

23135d1443820518-looking-plumber-electric-water-heater-economy-top-one.jpg

Last edited:

Is this a property that you own or are you renting the property?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Looking for a Plumber for an ELECTRIC Water Heater - Economy 7 - Liverpool in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, My current hot water system needs to be replaced. Anyone got any suggestions or can recommend any plumbers around Derrimut area that won't...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock