Discuss Newly fitted toilet keeps blocking in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi to all. I have just signed in because of a plumbing problem. I am a DIYer and have no plumbing qualifications but I do have common sense and follow instructions.
I have recently replaced a close coupled toilet which worked fine with a much more modern looking one which seems to clog up if anyone does a number two. The poop always disappears but then the toilet takes a long while for the water to drain when flushed so it is a partial blockage.
When I fitted the pan the spigot did not quite reach the plastic waste outlet which is the one that looks like a periscope. My local plumber sold me a small extension so I could connect the spigot to the plastic waste. All seems to work except it keeps blocking.
1. I am wondering if the poo is not quite passing through the extra pipe or getting caught on the joints?
2.Should I go for a flexible connector?
OR
3.I have found that Macalpine do a connector that is slightly longer at the top which might fit my toilet without the need for the extra joint.
4.None of the above?
By the way the flush mechanism is properly set up (followed instructions)
and the flush appears to be nice and strong.

Any help gratefully accepted.

Any photos of install, can’t seem to make much sense from what you’re saying.

Also have you checked soil pipe/manhole for a blockage?
Could be a dislodged pan connector joint.
Is the connection uphill?
Too much toilet roll?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for reply. The blockages always seem to be in the pipework just beyond the bend I clear them using one of those bendy wire drain clearers though sometimes a toilet plunger will work. As I say the old toilet flushed really well so I am confident the problem is with something I have done rather than further downstream. I will try to get you a pic though space is limited. I will try to be clearer in my description which might be more help than a photo.
When I fitted the toilet the outlet on the toilet was too short to connect to the existing waste pipe so I bought a straight extension made by McAlpine. It all connected fine but I am wondering if this extra bit is causing the blockages? The connection is not uphill it goes out into the periscope style connector then straight down. I will try to post picture.

Here is a picture. It is the best I can do. You can see the floor so that will help with orientation. The joint seems neat and tidy and there are no leaks. Do you think I could solve the problem either by purchasing a flexible pan connector which would get rid of extra joint OR by purchasing a pan connector with a slightly longer "head" which would also get rid of extra joint.

View attachment 20190720_145400.jpg

View attachment 20190720_145400.jpg

The water whooshes down but part of it remains and drains more slowly. Some of the blockages are worse than others. At its very worst the water level comes within 6 inches of the top but normally it is lower than that. If I could just clear the blockages with a bucket of water it would be a lot less annoying but as it is I am on my knees with either a toilet plunger or bendy drain clearing wire.

Looking at the picture, the second of the two circles doesn't seem to be properly aligned as though the joint isn't properly seated. I wonder if that could be part of the problem? At any rate I have no choice but to disconnect everything. I think I will go for a flexible connector because that will reduce the number of joints and I know it will fit. I gather some people are less keen on these types of fittings.

Thanks for reply. The blockages always seem to be in the pipework just beyond the bend I clear them using one of those bendy wire drain clearers though sometimes a toilet plunger will work. As I say the old toilet flushed really well so I am confident the problem is with something I have done rather than further downstream. I will try to get you a pic though space is limited. I will try to be clearer in my description which might be more help than a photo.
When I fitted the toilet the outlet on the toilet was too short to connect to the existing waste pipe so I bought a straight extension made by McAlpine. It all connected fine but I am wondering if this extra bit is causing the blockages? The connection is not uphill it goes out into the periscope style connector then straight down. I will try to post picture.
Look just post a general pic of your bog pan, and one with the seat up...some 'designer pans' are ...poo. at getting stuff away. If it worked before we most probably will be able to navigate you to a solution
Rob Foster aka centralheatking

Last edited:
Ok. Please can you explain why as I genuinely don't know about this.
Flexis are thin, often a diy fit without the correct fall throughout their length and are very thin and light gets in...so ratty and his mates come up your drain to pay you a visit at night...see light and eat their way into you gaff...this does not phase big boys I just shoot them ...air pistol is sufficient or the dog but females get spooked
cannot think why
thats why flexies are not the best solution but I have been known to use them in tight situations...centralheatking needs must and the devil drives

Does it feed into a manhole

If yes open the closest and re try your test

/ check there isn’t a blockage further down the line

Look just post a general pic of your bog pan, and one with the seat up...some 'designer pans' are ...poo. at getting stuff away. If it worked before we most probably will be able to navigate you to a solution
Rob Foster aka centralheatking
Ok here is pic. Nice looking toilet and great no1s.

20190720_160034.jpg

Reply to Newly fitted toilet keeps blocking in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back