Discuss Newly fitted toilet keeps blocking in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Many thanks to all who have tried to help. Dave Banfield's idea seems very plausible. I have ordered a new waste connector which is slightly longer at the top (where it joins to the toilet outlet) so hopefully the toilet will plug straight into it without the need for the extra joint which I have at the moment which seems to be causing the problem.

This method requires more skill but if you don’t have a string mop this is free.

Stand on a chair and quickly pour an entire bucket of water from ceiling height.

Stop mucking about with a wire. As JC says above, you are at best poking a small hole in blockage - the bucket or mop methods provide a means of moving the whole blockage along.

Lift the nearest manhole and get someone to watch, keep going with whichever method you choose until they report that they have seen said blockage go sailing by.

As you say you shouldn’t have to do this daily - you won’t once you have done it correctly eg as above.
Thanks for suggestion, Ben. When using whatever method the blockage eventually gets completely cleared and the toilet drains perfectly with liquid and paper flushing away nicely so all is great until someone does a number two then the toilet becomes partly blocked yet again. It will flush and the water goes away but slower than it should. I think there is a problem in the way the pan connects to the waste so I am going to have to dismantle it and see what is what. I will post with what I find.

Ah ok I didn’t realise you got fully correct function each time.

In that case sounds like a connection problem, I had this once and it turned out that the rubber seal from inside the pan connector had come partially away from its correct position, such that half of it was inside the 4” pipe.

The paper then snagged on this and caused a blockage, amazingly it didn’t leak otherwise I would have found it sooner.

As you say next stage is dismantle and inspect.....

Ah ok I didn’t realise you got fully correct function each time.

In that case sounds like a connection problem, I had this once and it turned out that the rubber seal from inside the pan connector had come partially away from its correct position, such that half of it was inside the 4” pipe.

The paper then snagged on this and caused a blockage, amazingly it didn’t leak otherwise I would have found it sooner.

As you say next stage is dismantle and inspect...

Cheers Ben. No one is using the loo except for wees and tomorrow I will take it to bits and report back. Really appreciate the support from everyone.:)

Can't beat a bog in a box with a deep pan hole for getting no2 away. Some modern toilets are only designed for small turds.
Just bought two from homebase, £45.00 each and I know they will flush away because I have 6 others. Saves cleaning etc after every dump as they flush down clean every time alot of designer stuff is crap. no floaters left with these bog in a box bog pans. We used to get thro loads of asda bog brushes at the holiday lets then I re fitted
happy...CLEAN...days
Rob Foster aka centralheatking

Armitage, you may be aware but if not, - when reassembling make sure you run a bead of fairy liquid round any rubber connecting boot otherwise they can get pushed out of place and cause a problem.

Armitage, you may be aware but if not, - when reassembling make sure you run a bead of fairy liquid round any rubber connecting boot otherwise they can get pushed out of place and cause a problem.
Hi thanks for the heads up on that.:) Being a stickler for following instructions I just did what it said in the instruction leaflet that came with the McAlpine joint. It said use water to wet the rubber, that's what I did and the joint seemed to assemble ok but maybe washing up liquid might have saved all this hassle, who knows.

Excellent rob, try telling the tw*ts in the swanky showroom as they attempt to sucker some mug into an £800 bog.

In all honesty the £45 is better.
Yes, its a bit like designer clothes isn't it? You can buy a perfectly decent tee shirt for not a lot of money or pay £50 or more for a designer label. The toilet I got was chosen by the missus because she liked the look of it and was nowhere near £800. I had a narrow escape as it was, cos originally she wanted a fully shrouded one. Fleck knows how I would have fitted that given the space restrictions.

Reply to Newly fitted toilet keeps blocking in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back