Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Oil boiler not working - Advice Please in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rolo28

I have an oil fired central heating system and the boiler no longer wants to work. Boiler/Burner does not even get to the firing up stage. I can hear a noise (like a quiet background humming) from boiler then it switches itself off.

Now over the last few days when this has happened I pressed the re-set button and it fired up Ok. Once fired up, radiators heat ok then it appears to switch itself off again.

Now it does not want to fire up at all.

I checked oil tank and have about 100 litres of kerosene left. Any-one any ideas? - I want to rule anything simple out before I call out an expert. Thanks in advance guys :icon7:

If only 100 litres I'd guess you need more oil.

I appreciate there's 100 litres which should be more than enough, but you'd be surprised at how many times I've come across this and find that a delivery of oil sorts the problem out - at least 9 times out of 10 in my experience.

Thanks Guys - Like the sound of just needing more oil. I'll get more early next week and also arrange for a service. I'll update how I get on.

Thanks Guys - Like the sound of just needing more oil. I'll get more early next week and also arrange for a service. I'll update how I get on.

Can't see it being lack of oil if you didn't run out

Manged to get burner fired up, took a few presses of the reset button. Hopefully that rules out anything major??

Will ring around 2morrow and try to get some-one to service it.

The humming or buzzing noise is a clear indication of the motor trying to turn but unable to . As simong says could be the capacitor but it could also be a worn bearing or slightly worn oil pump causing too much resistance for the motor to turn. Either way as WHPES says get an engineer out you wont be able to sort it out yourself. It is very unlikely to be the fuel because if it was the fuel at least it would try and start before locking out.

Quick update. Service guy out today. Water/Dirt had got into the system (line now cleared and drained) and as a result needed a new Service pump. All working fine now. Thanks for all input.

May want to think about changing my tank at some stage as bottom of tank is a bit sludgey. Got a top -up of oil today as well so hopefully all will be fine now (touch wood)
Thanks again

It will help in the time being if you make sure that you don't run your boiler whilst refilling the tank and for a short period after. Will stop the churned up muck and sludge being dragged in.

Glad you got it sorted.

dkia diagnosed it wrong ... again!!!

:boxing_smiley:

Frustrating because when I have a boiler in front of me it doesn't take too long to establish what's wrong with it, then order the part (unless I already have one) and fit it.

Make sure you have a filter before the boiler as well as the one on the tank also did the engineer check for water in the tank

Oil filter is better a paper element type - more expensive & element should be changed often, but they don't let dirt past them. I would fit them just at source - oil tank. Oil tube sight gauges are a problem when plastic tube shrinks & let water etc into pipe, so pays to keep an eye on them. Can potentially rot inside of copper oil line.

Just a further update. New pump also failed due to water/sludge in tank (I saw the filter and it was really dirty). I knew there was a possibility of this happening as engineer did warn me prior to fitting new pump that I really should get tank, lines etc fully cleaned and all water fully removed before fitting the new pump.

I took the chance and it has backfired!

Anyway hopefully getting some-one to come out soon and clean tank, lines etc and save the 500 litres of kero I have in tank currently! - and then get another new pump fitted. Pretty sure water had been getting in via the top of plastic sight guage (which is now sealed)

On the up side at least it has happened now and not when it gets really cold.

Make sure you have a filter before the boiler as well as the one on the tank also did the engineer check for water in the tank
Hindsight is a wonderfull thing. Before I fit new pumps I always run some oil off to see if it is contaminated.

If water/ dirt problem was caused by open oil sight gauge, then a good flush of oil line into large clear plastic bottles till it's clean oil might be easy. Pour any clean oil back in tank. Put paper element filter at tank. Get burner flushed out & renew nozzle. It is sometimes possible to carefully take the oil pump apart a little & flush it clean but often not worth it.

hello oil boiler not firing up. i've had the oil pressure gauge and when turned on it only creeps up to 0.5 then to 0. it sounds if the oil pump is struggling to fire up. the oil pump has be bled and there enough supply of clean oil and is not seized up as there is a water separator on the oil line and oil filters. its had a new nozzle fitted and the high limit stat has not be activated nor has the remote fire valve.
im struggling to figure to why this is ? could it be the solenoids replaced?
can someone with experience lend a hand would be very much grateful.

hello oil boiler not firing up. i've had the oil pressure gauge and when turned on it only creeps up to 0.5 then to 0. it sounds if the oil pump is struggling to fire up. the oil pump has be bled and there enough supply of clean oil and is not seized up as there is a water separator on the oil line and oil filters. its had a new nozzle fitted and the high limit stat has not be activated nor has the remote fire valve.
im struggling to figure to why this is ? could it be the solenoids replaced?
can someone with experience lend a hand would be very much grateful.

would be better to start your own thread rather than tag onto an old one, that way folks might bother to read it

Are you a technician, as the fault is bleedin obvious imho

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Oil boiler not working - Advice Please in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock