Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Outdoor tap in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TIGER ST

I want to fit a outside garden tap but I have no idea were to start as all the pipes in my house are plastic. I have fitted a garden tap before but it was with copper.

I have a copper 15mm compression t-piece and a 15mm compression isolating valve can I use they on plastic pipes.

I have the garden outdoor tap kit from B-Q

Thanks
Tony

I'm pretty sure you can use the comp fittings on plastic pipe but you need to make sure you use inserts for the plastic pipes.

Ah the magic b&q kit , which amounts to a piece of hose and a couple of jubilee clips no proper isolation or backflow prevention

post a picture of the plastic pipe on here. you really need to identify the plastic pipe and get the correct fittings before cutting into it. If its durapipe or polyyork you will be in a world of pain and have no water for awhile.

Could test to see if its Durapipe by giving it a little tap with a hammer:6:, may want a bucket near by and possibly a mop!!
if it shatters into a million pieces its probably Durapipe!! if not could be Hep or similar use suitable insert and away you go!!

Or even worst aquatherm.
I worked with the stuff for a year nearly all of the blokes on site installing it ended up with tennis elbow in both arms. Post a picture and were tell you what it is.

Assure to remember to sleeve the copper pipe if it's going through masonry wall. Seal it on both ends with mastic to prevent any ingress of vermin entering the hole.

Take out of the B&Q tap kit anything that is decent - probably only the tap, & bin the rest.
It may have been just as cheap to get a plumber in who only buys the few decent parts needed.

cant seen to post pics

Attachments

• 20140206_205608.jpg
    20140206_205608.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 32
  • 20140206_205642.jpg
    20140206_205642.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 34
I just dont get these kits. A bib tap an a wall plate elbow is the kit isnt it?

For anyone wondering what a B&Q Outside Tap Kit consists of just click the link. Put your coffee down first unless you want it to come out your nose.

Be better to get a plumber. As I'm sure that the outside tap kit should also come with the double check valve??..I don't know!, but for best measures get a plumber...

I was asked to go out to fit a kit the other day actually. I said id fit a tap but not the kit. I quoted ÂŁ50 including parts and told i was a rip off lol

Can't seem to post pictures up. And what kind of sleeves do I need

I think they do have a double check valve incorporated into the self cutting tap..:whatchutalkingabout

As said, best to do the job properly/permanent. or??:cowboy:
get a refund on the kit and put the money towards doing it right.
tee into your plastic and do the rest all in copper.

a useful fitting to save on space and fitting time is a double check valve with a tap incorporated.
sold at BES for around a fiver, ( part no - 15584 ):deal:
or the 15mm tee with incorporated tap could come in handy (part - 21363 )

Because it is a new install the double check valve needs to be fitted internally as opposed to the one incorporated into the outside tap.

Last edited:
Be better to get a plumber. As I'm sure that the outside tap kit should also come with the double check valve??..I don't know!, but for best measures get a plumber...

The check valve is prob in the tap. In a few months time it will pack in.

Thats very reasonable acecharly
Who else fits taps for 50quid inc parts? I see theres afew people that are doing it for that price.

Honestly right, every man and his dog is trying his hand at the game round here lately. I mean i quoted for a ideal logic 30+ the other day, straight swap ÂŁ1495 which i thought was reasonable. Had a call from them, said they had had it done for ÂŁ1150 what can you do?? i mean is it even possible they must be stealing the boilers !!!

Haha love how this kit from B&Q is called Plumbsure. The only sure thing about it is that it will leak.
As many have suggested, return the kit and get a plumber in to do it properly, and you should have trouble free use for years.

Thats very reasonable acecharly
Who else fits taps for 50quid inc parts? I see theres afew people that are doing it for that price.

I have an offer on my website for outside taps at ÂŁ45, don't make anything off the tap but I get my foot in the door and have had repeat custom nearly every time I've done one.
I wouldn't touch the B+Q kit with a barge pole as I want the job to be an example of my work. Who would re-employ someone after they fitted one of these? I know I wouldn't.

to the OP that is Hep2o piping.

but honestly, i have been to two of those kits that have leaked over time and a kitchen completely flooded by one !!!!!

don't you need to fit a drain off on it as well? I all ways do, at the lowest point.

Isolater - D/check valve - through wall - drain cock -up to back plate elbow and tap.

Customers like it, as drain off out side, Turn that off, go outside, open that and that no probs all winter long!!

don't you need to fit a drain off on it as well? I all ways do, at the lowest point.

Isolater - D/check valve - through wall - drain cock -up to back plate elbow and tap.

Customers like it, as drain off out side, Turn that off, go outside, open that and that no probs all winter long!!

Pipe outside dropping down ....no need for a drain off...

Job done:yes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Outdoor tap in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to...
Replies
Views
I had an outside tap fitted by a professional plumber last autumn. During the recent cold weather the feed pipe under the kitchen sink froze and...
Replies
Views
Hi I'm going to be fitting a tap like this one: And just wanted to check that this is the correct part for connecting to 15mm copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi, I wonder if I could have some advice please. I have a rental shepherds hut with an outdoor copper bath. I expect to close down for winter...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock