Discuss Plastic & Insulation in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

peteisfishing

Hi all, quick one, is there any requirement to insulate Central Heating pipes in the attic if they are plastic??....going to anyway, just wondering if there is something written down somewhere

when weve had a winter like last year id say yes! plastic has better thermal qualities but still freezzes

Make sure you lagg the fittings too the plastic nut tends to crack and break in bad freezing

By plastic do you mean Hep pipes? There is no need to lag this, complete waste of time...it is a barrier pipe...even better protected from the elements than copper with lagging on it

Gpsnewcastle dont think building inspecor would agree lol he makes us lag all hep2o pipes in loft with 19mm lagging or house doesnt get signed off

Well he sounds like a bit of a jobsworth...I think we all know that a building inspectors job is to find fault in everything...they arent happy if they arent pointing things out

By plastic do you mean Hep pipes? There is no need to lag this, complete waste of time...it is a barrier pipe...even better protected from the elements than copper with lagging on it

I used to think that way too till this winter just gone. My boss wouldn't believe I had burst hep pipe in a temp building in stormont until i showed him all the sections I'd replaced! 19mm armaflex all the way now!

:cool:

The pipe itself may not burst too often but the fittings do and it certainly freezes and it is a pain to thaw. You are quicker repiping it.

You don't lag a pipe to protect the pipe; You lag it to prevent the water inside the pipe for freezing.

See Page 43 (PDF page 3) of the HEP2O Performance Data for recommended insulation. The building inspector was right.

Im talking about barrier pipe. I never use it unless i need to (awkward area under a floor etc) as I hate the stuff and i dont trust the fittings. I dont used push fit fittings when I do have to use it, I use compression but I certainly dont lag it.

Im talking about barrier pipe. I never use it unless i need to (awkward area under a floor etc) as I hate the stuff and i dont trust the fittings. I dont used push fit fittings when I do have to use it, I use compression but I certainly dont lag it.

I have seen hep pipe with compression fittings blow off in last winter pipe expands and fitting pop off not good

Barrier pipe lads...with 3 liners...you arent going to convince me

Of course it will/does freeze. Would you like to try to explain exactly how a layer of resin will stop anything freezing? You have a lot to learn and see.

It does need lagging, as per the maufacturer's recommendations. Speedfit, for instance, tell you to lag as you would copper.

Barrier pipe stops oxygen diffusing across the pipe, it doesn't stop cold getting in! And while plastic will give a bit more as the water expands, it will eventually ruptuer as will the fittings.

Anyone who refuses to lag plastic pipe in the cold is going against common sense, manufacturer's recommendations and regs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Plastic & Insulation in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock