Discuss Please advise on approaches following substandard heating install in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

I'm not an electrician but an ex consumer advisor.

Those sockets to me don't look legal. Mains sockets underneath a water tank, what if you have a leak, it's going right
down into the sockets. That to me is like having sockets on the wall above the bath.

Keep all your paperwork together including emails and invoices. Only use a telephone that can record calls and make sure
you record them all.

Under the Consumer Rights Act 2015 you have a lot of safeguards and should use them.

If the so called completed job is not what you requested and paid for, then send them a letter giving them 14 days in which
to bring the standard up to how it was agreed.

If after 14 days you have not received any confirmation that they will finish the job or just fobs you off, then you can send
them a 'Letter before action' giving them another 7 days in which to respond.

Taking someone to court isn't as daunting as it sounds, you will first be offered mediation but if that doesn't satisfy you then
you proceed to court.
The magistrate is already way on your side as businesses (in the general term builder) do not have a very good reputation.

Yes it is wide sweeping and very unfair on those that do great work but in the public eye that is how it is felt, the same
goes with garages i'm afraid.

Not with me it's not.

If I need something doing I will do my homework, see previous work, speak to neighbours and friends. I'll make sure they have a good rep before employing. This I would place well above the price of the job.

Bengie,

Be careful. You are giving advice with a prediction to the outcome, based on one side of a story posted on an Internet forum. You (presumably) have no idea of the content of the offer from from the contractor.

Whilst I accept that you are trying to be helpful, it may possibly raise false hope to an individual who is probably facing a significant expense in rectifying the situation.

There is a process to follow in these situations and only when that is complete can a rational decision be made as to which route to follow and the likely outcome.

Contractors who undertake straightforward boiler swaps ( by pricing on what I think is an unprofessional manner) are rarely unprofessional in both specifying the extent of their scope and remedial works to decoration and openings et al.

Your comment with respect to the location of electrical sockets and isolation switches may or may not be true. However, they appear to be existing and are probably outside the scope of the contractors work.

Gas Safe, which I appreciate you have not raised will only survey the works with respect to the GS(IU)R. They won’t repair the problems, nor indeed give any advice to the customer. They will however raise any issues found with the individual who undertook the work and the individual / organisation who registered the installation. Whilst this is a useful exercise, it won’t encompass the external controls so does not move the customer very far forward in resolving his / her problem.

I think that this is a particularly sad case and I hope that it can be successfully resolved. In my experience it won’t be quick and will probably end in a cash settlement that closes the matter with both parties being dissatisfied with the outcome.

Bengie,

Be careful. You are giving advice with a prediction to the outcome, based on one side of a story posted on an Internet forum. You (presumably) have no idea of the content of the offer from from the contractor.

Whilst I accept that you are trying to be helpful, it may possibly raise false hope to an individual who is probably facing a significant expense in rectifying the situation.

There is a process to follow in these situations and only when that is complete can a rational decision be made as to which route to follow and the likely outcome.

Contractors who undertake straightforward boiler swaps ( by pricing on what I think is an unprofessional manner) are rarely unprofessional in both specifying the extent of their scope and remedial works to decoration and openings et al.

Your comment with respect to the location of electrical sockets and isolation switches may or may not be true. However, they appear to be existing and are probably outside the scope of the contractors work.

Gas Safe, which I appreciate you have not raised will only survey the works with respect to the GS(IU)R. They won’t repair the problems, nor indeed give any advice to the customer. They will however raise any issues found with the individual who undertook the work and the individual / organisation who registered the installation. Whilst this is a useful exercise, it won’t encompass the external controls so does not move the customer very far forward in resolving his / her problem.

I think that this is a particularly sad case and I hope that it can be successfully resolved. In my experience it won’t be quick and will probably end in a cash settlement that closes the matter with both parties being dissatisfied with the outcome.
My experience of the law and via my wife whom is a barrister is exactly
that Brambles states...everybody involved except the legal fraternity get left feeling ripped of and dirty even if you win a civil case or get vindicated in a criminal court its a mucky process and best avoided
....I suppose small claims ct and involving trading stds with a local
council is less mucky. hope it works out for you at least remember the odds at the start for you are 50/50 at best ...centralheatking

Reply to Please advise on approaches following substandard heating install in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Had conventional boiler and tanks removed last year and new combi fitted and just recently had it serviced but the guy who did it has given me a...
Replies
Views
J
Boiler broke over Xmas and needs replacing and I’m tempted to move away from our 1985 gravity fed system and get a combi as many other parts of...
Replies
Views
Jack Canfield
J
Hi, Sorry if question already answered in previous posts, but I can't find a solution to the below: We recently moved house to a new home that...
Replies
Views
Hello I am looking to install a slimline dishwasher (integrated) into a cupboard in my kitchen. The depth of the dishwasher is 550mm and the...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I would really appreciate your eyes on these pictures - What do you see ? Does anything look strange about the Rockwool insulation to...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock