Search the forum,

Discuss Please can someone tell me what this stuff in my pipes is?? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

20210913_165035.jpg

Is there a water softener or filter system in the property?
Is the water source Well / Borehole, Spring, Utility mains or other?
Did this come through the taps?

Tell us what we are looking at. photo from a different angle may help plus pipe from where to where.
Hi, this is inside the pipe under the kitchen sink. Had a plumber today and he vacumed this out as a sample. See other photo's. The management company are threatening us with eviction for causing this.

Attachments

• 20210911_114347.jpg
    20210911_114347.jpg
    374.1 KB · Views: 44
Tell us what we are looking at. photo from a different angle may help plus pipe from where to where.
This is the sample the plumber took and put inside an empty water bottle. Soft water area. 2nd floor apartment.

Attachments

• 20210913_191102.jpg
    20210913_191102.jpg
    222.6 KB · Views: 39
  • 20210913_191119.jpg
    20210913_191119.jpg
    241.9 KB · Views: 28
Hard to tell, but looks like grease and fat buildup, especially given the water colour - which you would be liable if you pour any used fat down the sink, eg fat from pan frying animal foods.

It is white particles on my screen.
ie fat, limescale, washing powder, grout, perhaps glue from paper hanging.
Well, I got a plumber out who sucked this stuff out of the pipe. It's a grey, gritty substance with particles in the water bottle. The sink constantly has a residue inside it. I don't put anything down the sink, and yet this keeps building up. Could it be an apartment above or below? This is getting very serious now to be accused of inserting this stuff into the pipes, which is the accusations made.

Is an outlet from a washing m/c connected to the sink trap.
Cant see it being from apartments above or below and does the sink now drain as should be expected.

Cant see it being from apartments above or below and does the sink now drain as should be expected.
Agree that it seems typical residue from washing machine outlet.

The flow should be downhill so unlikely to be from above floors above (but I don't know the exact layout of your drainage system).

If there is similar residue in the sink then this can only be from something being poured into the sink or it's coming through the taps, as others have said, it's unlikely but not impossible that it's coming from above.
If it was you'd probably hear gurgling noises in the sink waste and or see water backing up into the sink.

As it's an appartment, is the hot water provided centrally from the building or do you have your own boiler / electric water heater?

Is this the first time this has happened, are you a new tennant to the appartment?

A course of action, which may not be cheap is to have the substance analysed as well as samples from the Hot and from the Cold tap.

Also as others, the Management Co. are unlikely to be able to legally evict you on the basis that they believe you may be causing this.
It could backfire spectacularly on them if it was later found to be from elsewhere.

Hi, I have no idea if the washing machine is connected to this. I use liquid washing detergent. The sink is emptying, but the build-up in the pipes is happening again.

Reply to Please can someone tell me what this stuff in my pipes is?? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and pebbles!) We saw that the pipe that takes water down the gutter was visibly full to the top. He said he will return with a coil to push through...
Replies
Views
Recently had a Viessmann Vitodens combi boiler installed, quite often when the adjacent cold mixer tap is opened the boiler starts for a few seconds! Can anyone tell me what is causing this? And how to cure?
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock