Discuss Please can someone tell me what this stuff in my pipes is?? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

It is white particles on my screen.
ie fat, limescale, washing powder, grout, perhaps glue from paper hanging.
Well, I got a plumber out who sucked this stuff out of the pipe. It's a grey, gritty substance with particles in the water bottle. The sink constantly has a residue inside it. I don't put anything down the sink, and yet this keeps building up. Could it be an apartment above or below? This is getting very serious now to be accused of inserting this stuff into the pipes, which is the accusations made.

Is an outlet from a washing m/c connected to the sink trap.
Cant see it being from apartments above or below and does the sink now drain as should be expected.

Cant see it being from apartments above or below and does the sink now drain as should be expected.
Agree that it seems typical residue from washing machine outlet.

The flow should be downhill so unlikely to be from above floors above (but I don't know the exact layout of your drainage system).

If there is similar residue in the sink then this can only be from something being poured into the sink or it's coming through the taps, as others have said, it's unlikely but not impossible that it's coming from above.
If it was you'd probably hear gurgling noises in the sink waste and or see water backing up into the sink.

As it's an appartment, is the hot water provided centrally from the building or do you have your own boiler / electric water heater?

Is this the first time this has happened, are you a new tennant to the appartment?

A course of action, which may not be cheap is to have the substance analysed as well as samples from the Hot and from the Cold tap.

Also as others, the Management Co. are unlikely to be able to legally evict you on the basis that they believe you may be causing this.
It could backfire spectacularly on them if it was later found to be from elsewhere.

Hi, I have no idea if the washing machine is connected to this. I use liquid washing detergent. The sink is emptying, but the build-up in the pipes is happening again.

Reply to Please can someone tell me what this stuff in my pipes is?? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi I have a kitchen mixer tap which allows the top part to pull out as a hose (like american sinks). It has frayed and I need t replace it, can...
Replies
Views
I have recently moved house.it appears the shower drain has become blocked and there is no inner cup to remove and clean. I believe the waste is a...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
Hi guys, first post here So I have been boxing in a number of heating pipes that are throughout my garage since the boiler was located there by...
Replies
Views
I need to cap off a water connection which is the water pipe connector to an M15 hose pipe from a kitchen sprayer tap. I have included images so...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock