Search the forum,

Discuss Pre made ply racking in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Ch4 plumbing

Has anyone paid for ply racking or does everyone just make it themselves?
Or is the mental stuff worth the expense and extra weight?

I've never bothered with racking but had enough of crawling all over my tools, had a look online and was thinking I could probably do it myself, do you use 15mm ply or bigger?

I've never bothered with racking but had enough of crawling all over my tools, had a look online and was thinking I could probably do it myself, do you use 15mm ply or bigger?

I only ever used 12mm stuff, but I use a frame to take the weight etc and ply for shelves & fronts etc

I was thinking of using 15mm ply glued and screwed?
ideally I won't to make something to fit around my Van vault.

I was thinking of using 15mm ply glued and screwed?
ideally I won't to make something to fit around my Van vault.

Iv got a vault too! As good as they are, they are big! I retro fitted my vault, but will fit it in around racking on my next van :)

Mines behind the bulkhead but like you say it's huge, I'm trying to buy a different van at the moment and want to resite the vault and sort racking out to maximise space.

Photos........give me a month!

I prefer the made to measure metal racking which seems to be same if not lighter than all the ply required. My latest van came racked out and only need a bit of sorting to suit me and is a mix of ply and metal with lots of dramwers and storage. took me a while to find the van online and had to go abroad to Wales to get it.

Build a false floor in van so u can slide items under it then use some 3/4 iron tube and 10mm threaded bar to fix vault down. 3/4 is to space vault off of floor and it also makes it difficult to cut bolts.

Build a false floor in van so u can slide items under it then use some 3/4 iron tube and 10mm threaded bar to fix vault down. 3/4 is to space vault off of floor and it also makes it difficult to cut bolts.

I was thinking of building a false floor so I could get my steps out of the way, good idea regarding the 3/4" pipe I'll use that for sure.

Also 9mm ply fixed to 25mm aluminium angle iron by large head rivets lasts a lot longer than ply screwed in. Use rivets as they don't come loose as easily.

ive always found the pigeon hole racks pretty useless as you either cant get enough in or you cant see whats inthere best solution ive found is to use storage boxes on shelves angled down at the back to stop them moving, old f and e tanks are good for traps and plastic fittings

ive always found the pigeon hole racks pretty useless as you either cant get enough in or you cant see whats inthere best solution ive found is to use storage boxes on shelves angled down at the back to stop them moving, old f and e tanks are good for traps and plastic fittings

I was thinking of buying the pigeon hole ones and making up the other racks like you suggest and using plastic boxes.

Cheers for the input guys, some good ideas to "mull" over:banghead:

What van are running? I pinched an excellent idea from my mate. Any van with sliding door. Build box deep enough to take your tool boxes and full height of door opening. Shelve out. Means all tools & stuff can be accessed from kerb. Then rear doors of my med wheelbase Tran will take materials/junk/scrap without trapping the necessary gear. Also having had a full rocket tube of 22 and 15 copper swiped off the roof rack, new rocket tube went into back of van. Just make sure I don't back up to a wall if I need a full length of copper out. (Well I have forgotten occasionally) Also 40l plastic storage bins for waste fittings are useful and they can go high up on tool box racking as they don't weigh much. Just a few ideas there.

Don't you hate it when the week is all late finishes and 'just chuck it in the back of the van' style pack up. All weekend taken up with digging it out!

I like that idea of building a box for my sliding door. Just need time to figure it out.

IMAG0014[1].jpgIMAG0015[1].jpgIMAG0017[1].jpgIMAG0018[1].jpg

allright bud this is my transit

I like that idea of building a box for my sliding door. Just need time to figure it out.

means you cant get at any thing to the front of the van though, unless you hinge the whole thing to swing out!

means you cant get at any thing to the front of the van though, unless you hinge the whole thing to swing out!

Unless like me, you have TWO sliding doors. Comes standard on superior german vans you know.

Keep the back tidy and everything is accessible. Tried to upload some picks of mine but phone and laptop aren't talking to each other.
My longest tool box is about 650mm so made the side racking about 700mm deep, so it doesn't take too much off the width. I can get 1700 bath in the back no trouble and the full sanitary pack as well. I inherited some steel racking at a previous van swop and that has been modded to fit every van since. To keep things light I used offcuts of Talon trunking as shelf dividers. Imagination and plagiarism is the key.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Pre made ply racking in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Does anyone know a good, not super expensive, leak detection company in the London area?
Replies
Views
Did anyone watch Britain's Got Talent last night? There was a Plumber on from Stockport called Darren who bottled it last year but did his...
Replies
Views
Hi Does anyone recognise the make/brand of the radiator valve. It leaks when closed and Iam hoping I can replace a seal etc?
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I...
Replies
Views
Hi All, does anyone know why the water only fills 1/3 of the way please?
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock