Search the forum,

Discuss pricing up for little job in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
But a tissue or your finger will only pick up a drip, - not a very slight dampness that may evaporate almost before appearing.
You must bore people showing them each joint, - try using paste & save time by confidently leaving in the knowledge there will be no weeps ever! :smile:
I said 'if they're at all interested' - some people find what you're doing in their house interesting and I'm only too happy to explain if they've asked.

As for leaks and a tissue not picking up dampness, please note my previous post about 'dusty fingers'. Using paste would not save me time doing the checks I do, it would take me longer, plus I'm never in a rush.

Using paste would not save me time doing the checks I do, it would take me longer, plus I'm never in a rush.

But, while using paste will add a few seconds each joint (& must admit can be a bit messy on the hands), it will save you time as joints will be watertight. If you ever did have an unpasted joint leak slightly, it probably would waste a lot of time sorting it & perhaps on a call back.

But, while using paste will add a few seconds each joint (& must admit can be a bit messy on the hands), it will save you time as joints will be watertight. If you ever did have an unpasted joint leak slightly, it probably would waste a lot of time sorting it & perhaps on a call back.

But I haven't experienced the need to use anything on compression fittings so see no point in trying to fix what's not broken. Plus manufacturer's instructions assure me that my way is the correct way.

But I haven't experienced the need to use anything on compression fittings so see no point in trying to fix what's not broken. Plus manufacturer's instructions assure me that my way is the correct way.

I see compression fittings with fairly bad corrosion & at the pipe all the time. Copper or brass olives, it doesn't matter.
As to manufacturers instructions - they are not plumbers, so I wouldn't heed what they state nessesarilly. Tightening a fitting to a piece of copper on a bench test & filling it with water & putting it to several bar pressure for a few hours, proves nothing. In the real world it can leak microscopically & also there will be the possibility of slight movement especially on heating pipes.

I see compression fittings with fairly bad corrosion & at the pipe all the time. Copper or brass olives, it doesn't matter.
As to manufacturers instructions - they are not plumbers, so I wouldn't heed what they state nessesarilly. Tightening a fitting to a piece of copper on a bench test & filling it with water & putting it to several bar pressure for a few hours, proves nothing. In the real world it can leak microscopically & also there will be the possibility of slight movement especially on heating pipes.

Not sure if you've notced but I'm a qualified and experienced plumber, I do this sort of thing for a living. Get off my case about it, I don't need your help. When I want help with something I'm not sure or uncomfortable about I'll ask for help but at the moment I'm fine.

Thank you for your concern.

Not sure if you've notced but I'm a qualified and experienced plumber, I do this sort of thing for a living. Get off my case about it, I don't need your help. When I want help with something I'm not sure or uncomfortable about I'll ask for help but at the moment I'm fine.

Keefy, many genuine apologies if you misinterpreted me or the tone of my posts. I am serious in what I post but with a bit of banter also! I thought you were part of that. :smile:
If you reread my posts, you will see I never on any of them offered you "help" or had "concern" about you.
I also have a lot of experience but all plumbers have their own habits, ideas & material choices & are free to do so, - that doesn't mean anyone of us are more right or wrong than the next guy & frankly, it is up to each individual what they perceive to be best.
I read your personality from your posts as being a professional - (you did say you leave no leaks & even prove this to your customers), so I am not questioning your ability or work in any way.
...maybe it is has been a hard day! :smile:
Regards from Best!

Last edited:

And your concern is noted grumpy lol

I to like keefy never put any thing on my compression joints so had a lot of years working that way.but for the last 7 years or so have put a bit of paste on all joints the reason was I worked for a company that wonted paste on joints because there was a big call back rate on leaks on compression joints they employed 70 installers and you where charged for any leaks.can not really personally remember having many problems when I did not use paste but must have been a big problem with 70 installers.i still use paste. but I know I change the way I work from time to time as we all must do or there would be no difference between a apprentice just picking up his first qualification and some one who has been in the trade 50 years.
The thing with having these discussions is that there will be a few people reading various posts and from that they can make up there mind the way to do certain jobs. Most important people doing there apprenticeships and people later in life having a career change because the odds are you will only possibly have worked with one person and none of us can ever no it all.

Jet_Blue.jpg

I'll give it a try. :)

U wont go back to anything else keefy! That stuff is gold dust! Ive even used it a few times on traps that havent sealed and wouldnt seal dry for some reason (not McAlpine traps)

probably a stupid question, but just to make sure, with the paste is applied on the end of the pipe, before the olive?

Between olive and fitting. Wether it's on the pipe or on the olive as long as its between olive and fitting

Nearly killed me this thread !
Bloody coffee with brandy went down the wrong way !

Nearly killed me this thread !
Bloody coffee with brandy went down the wrong way !

Bloody coffee? What are you, a vampire?

you dont need paste or ptfe tape on compression fittings as it is the compressed olive that makes the seal, google manufaturers, also you see some clowns rapping tape round the thread on compressions all the time . and all that does is make it harder to tighten up and undo,they only leak if they have not been done properly to start with ie, over tightened is the main cause and then not tightened enough, or some one has tampered with pipe or frost, you only need to use a little ptfe tape on the olive only to fix a leak if the joint was made wrong to start with thats what taught at colleges.

Nobody would have ever guessed this thread would have turned into paste or not to paste. Always lively.

I use a smear (like that word) of paste on the olive and never have any problems.

and too clear any issues on this, I don't give a monkeys what anybody else does, as it works for me.

Smear or not to smear, please yourself :)

Magicroundabout.jpg

It's like The Magic Roundabout this place. ;)

I've never used anything on compression fittings (although a drop of oil would be good practice) and I'm not looking for a solution to leaky fittings but I'm going to give the Jet Blue a shot. I don't even know why to be honest because it's not like I'll really be able to come back and say - "This gear is amazing, haven't had a leak since I started using it!"

If I get a leak while using it though I'll go all medieval on those who suggested it.

View attachment 13345

I've never used anything on compression fittings (although a drop of oil would be good practice) and I'm not looking for a solution to leaky fittings but I'm going to give the Jet Blue a shot. I don't even know why to be honest because it's not like I'll really be able to come back and say - "This gear is amazing, haven't had a leak since I started using it!"

If I get a leak while using it though I'll go all medieval on those who suggested it.
medieval?your not getting your lance out on anyones bum

Can somebody put some gas advise on here so croppie closes the thread plz

View attachment 13345

Why oil mate

Why oil mate

Apparently the manufacturer's recommend it on the thread. Suppose it makes sense but I haven't tried it myself.

Apparently the manufacturer's recommend it on the thread. Suppose it makes sense but I haven't tried it myself.

Don't to me imho nut could come loose to easy
Plus oil can in tool box it be everywhere lol

Don't to me imho nut could come loose to easy
Plus oil can in tool box it be everywhere lol

Thought that myself and if I ever find a nut is a pain to tighten I'd probably just sling it for a new one.

Nothing wrong with making a mistake as long as you learn from it. We've all done something daft in the past.

I have stuck a 32mm core in the wrong place because I didn't draw clear lines.
I once got a woodchip in my eye because I didn't wear safety glasses using a circy saw. Had to pick it out with a knife.
I also forgot to cap off ALL the pipes on a bathroom first fix. Legged it back to stopcock when I heard water gushing from the pipes for thermo mixer shower.

Point is, make a mistake, live and learn!!
1st gets piece of wood in eye, as he is not wearing goggles, then picks its H&S at its best... sounds like something I would do LMAO

Wow a 10 page thread about thread tape on a compression fitting, dunno what's worse this thread or me reading all of it, LOL, a simple answer to all is, each to their own. Can I start a thread, What do you put on your radiator tails?? PTFE, PTFE & Paste?? How many wraps of PTFE??

Wow a 10 page thread about thread tape on a compression fitting, dunno what's worse this thread or me reading all of it, LOL, a simple answer to all is, each to their own. Can I start a thread, What do you put on your radiator tails?? PTFE, PTFE & Paste?? How many wraps of PTFE??

Ptfe only 15 to 20 turns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to pricing up for little job in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock