Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss problem seal in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MrT

HI

I was called out to a lady who had a shower cubicle that was leaking ever so slightly in the corner between the enclosure and tray. I resealed around the area however 5-6 days later it came back.

I went back and removed alot of the silicone and resealed again. lo and behold 6 days later its back!!! it is only a v small amount which makes it so annoying.

Other than keep trying it any other thoughts?

thanks

Maybe remove cubicle,clean surfaces and re bed?

Another "?" suggestion ...

Check pipes first:

Buckets of water poured down drain without turning on shower to check drainage.

Then you can also fill buckets via the shower hose (remove shower head as it's quicker and less messy) without getting the shower cubicle wet.

If both above result in no leaks then you can probably rule out pipes and only option left is to hose around the shower cubicle (including up the sides/corners) to find leak - then out with the silicone.

I once had a problem very similar to this, and the only way we found out what it was, was to stand in the tray and virtually have a shower

The shower tray was plastic and the "seven day wonder bodger/plumber" who had fitted it, could not get the trap and waste to fit without cutting one of the chipboard corner braces off, this resulted in a 8mm hair line crack in the corner of the shower tray, which only opened up if a person stood in that corner

Hmm!

Beside all the checking all the other suggestions. What is the shower tray made of? And are you using good quality sealant? If its an acrylic tray, not all sealants stick to plastic. And although you seal it and it looks the part it has not stuck to the tray.

A good quality high modulus neutral cure sealant should do it. If there is lots of movement then a low modulus should do, but they remain softer than high modulus and do not wear as well when cleaned.

Try Dow products.

And have a good read up on sealants, its surprising some of the things they can do and can't do.

it s definatley not the waste as it is appearing somewhere wherer the tray is slightly chased into the wall and is coming from under the enclosure.

The tray was already sealed on the inside when I got to it.

PLUMBSTAR - Without wanting to come across a total nerd - why do you hope i have only sealed on the outside?

It was leaking both sides now only one(touch wood) so must have done something right!!

i will check out the sealant thanks Bernie however i have used sanitary sealant which is supposedly suitable for acrylic trays.

If i dont get it this time might for the CT1 route!!!! thanks Shaun

Hi Mr T

Enclosures should be sealed on the outside only as they are designed to desperse water back into the shower tray. I thought it was common knowledge. I can get some info for you if you want

Hi Mr T

Enclosures should be sealed on the outside only as they are designed to desperse water back into the shower tray. I thought it was common knowledge. I can get some info for you if you want

Thats the problem,it does not seem to be common knowledge
I bet you the enclosure has been fitted first and the sealed around tray and enclosure both sides and I bet leak is coming from the space under enclosure,were tray meets wall which has not been sealed,same thing happens with bath screens
The shower tray should be fitted and sealed all around,same as bath,then enclosure or screen is fitted,this way when fixed area under enclosure sealed the seal outside only,this allows any water that may enter the enclosure/screen frame to leak back into tray or bath
The amount of instalations I see with little leaks down the side because above not done,mostly builders,
Trouble is when you tell customer that all enclosure has to be re fixed to stop this little leak they look at you gone out,as if you are trying to make a big job of nothin :(

i had this on my own shower (i didnt fit it)they hadnt sealed behind the shower frame where it met the wall so water that gets inside the frame finds easiest route and was getting behind the frame and out the other side
i had to take whole shower frame out and seal it properley by running mastik down the frame and especially at the bottom before placing it against the wall

I have to admit that whenever i have fitted a new enclosure i have only sealed the outside as i have always checked the instructions and thats what it has said to do but now i know why!!

THanks Plumbstar if there is some info i would be interested as i want to know all these things

thanks again

are you sure that it is the enclosure that is the problem, I had a similar problem and found after taking the whole thing apart 3 times that there was nothing wrong with the enclosure. the problem turned out to be the grouting between the tiles was porouse, I only realised this because I am sure I have seen there is an old thread on here somewhere that suggested the same.
Regards
Mike

Hi Mr T

I cant find the info anywhere now, it used to be on the net somewhere as I was asked before for a detailed reason why by a friend who is silicone sealant happy, I swear he even seals his milk after using it for his Tea.

Basically enclosures are designed to have the water running on and into it during shower and direct it back into the tray most will bouncy back but some will run down the door, profile etc. If yo seal both sides its likely to get stuck and gradually seap out. Sealing just the outside allows the water to escape back into the tray

I had this a few months ago with an enclosure I had installed 6 months before, I checked everything and was baffled to whats was happening, I was talking to the customer and his wife who then admitted she had pointed the shower handset so it was spraying directly at the enclosure and profile so it would be warm before she got in it. Problem solved, all instructions do not recomend direct spraying of the panels.

Shower enclosures are not designed to be water tanks for humans they are designed to stop the splash back of water. some people point the shower head right at the profile when cleaning and moan it leaks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to problem seal in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock