Discuss Quality of a heating installation in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Very unprofessional in my opinion the installer should hang his head in shame premium service my arse , I would say the soldering has been done in lead solder and not very well either ☹️ a premium service should speak for itself in the quality of the install as below
On one of your pictures, I can see that the pipe goes through a hole drilled in a joist. That's what I was expecting since I told them about my plans to install new hardwood floor.

I think I should, but I have already found someone who is actually available and willing to replace it. As you imagine, that's not easy these days. The original installer refused to have a look at the pipework and I can't wait forever because other work is being blocked.
Have you given the company a chance to come back and fix it?

It is a very poor installation. I'm surprised they used copper pipe, with that level of workmanship it is normally plastic.
As said above, if you want to pursue this in court etc I believe you need to give them an opportunity to rectify any issues, or at least have something in writing from them saying that they will not return.
To pipe the system in copper it would require the pipes to run just under the boards in notched joists. So whatever you use to screw/fix the flooring down shouldn't go all the way through the floorboards.

On one of your pictures, I can see that the pipe goes through a hole drilled in a joist. That's what I was expecting since I told them about my plans to install new hardwood floor.
As i said very poor installation the company may well have a good reputation but it only takes a rushed installation by one of its employees to tarnish that reputation, forward the above photos to the company with a polite covering letter giving them the opportunity to resolve the poor standard of workmanship, this may well be enough to rectify this situation. Regards kop

Have you given the company a chance to come back and fix it?
I went to their office about 20 days ago (and we are exchanging emails since then) to ask if they could visit the property and evaluate the work. They asked me to email photos and replied that there is nothing wrong with the installation and if I want to change anything I will have to pay for the modification. In their opinion, the installation is done correctly. They said that it would be not reasonable to lift the floor to fix pipes. When they visited the first time, I told them that the house will be redecorated, and they can do whatever needs to be done. An electrician asked me if we could remove ceilings to make his work easier, so we did. It was full if artex anyway.

forward the above photos to the company with a polite covering letter giving them the opportunity to resolve the poor standard of workmanship
That didn't work. When I spoke to an office guy and showed him one of the photos, he replied: "oh, that's not right". I did mention that in one of the emails I have sent, but at the end I was told I lie, and he never said that. Why would I lie if I have the installation there, and they could come and see?

They asked me to email photos and replied that there is nothing wrong with the installation and if I want to change anything I will have to pay for the modification. In their opinion, the installation is done correctly.
So, you've offered them a chance to remedy the work and they've refused. Box ticked. It's time to get a quote for remedial work. Also, check your house insurance to see if you have cover for legal disputes.

A fairly standard tactic that companies use in cases like this is to drag things out for as long as possible in the hope you'll give up. The way to deal with this is to drive the process forward by giving them the legal minimum time to respond to you before you take the next step.

Also keep in mind that companies that are about to go bust often start cutting corners and stop caring about their future reputation, which is another reason to get disputes settled ASAP.

Last edited:
Well you need to go above him and prepare yourself for a long drawn out battle to get the work put right , or pay out again to replace the pipework in a tidy manner which will allow you to move on with the project and then forward the invoice to the original installer with no guarantee of getting that money back.

I've seen worse, much worse.

Soldering, as said above, looks like lead and as long as it's on central heating only then it's not an issue.
The quality of soldering is rough and ready, but obviously not leaking.
Pet hate to see flux left on pipes, needs cleaning off.
Pipes shouldn't be touching other pipes or cables on pipes. Small piece of insulation goes on my pipes where cables are near.
As for notches, its standard on existing buildings. Did you ask for him to drill joists? I do it as standard on new builds and extensions. Building control likes to see holes in the neutral axis of the joists.

There are issues that need correcting. That's not debatable. Could have taken that ceiling down prior to install.

For me you need the following.

Joints cleaned up.
Notches opening up to give enough room and some felt wrapped around.
Pipes moving away from other pipes and cables or protecting.

Hope you get it sorted.

Reply to Quality of a heating installation in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
Hi, Over the past few months, my wife and I have noticed a constant pulsing sound throughout the house which is particularly noisy at night (this...
Replies
Views
Hello, I've just found this forum and wondering if anyone can please help us. We've not long moved into our new home. It's has Johnson and Starley...
Replies
Views
Hi,

Our heating stopped working today. We've got a Veissmann boiler that's under a year old, and an older Megaflow cylinder, and two diverter...
Replies
Views
I need to extend my central heating from my newly built extension in to the old part of my house. I need to feed 3 rads in separate bedrooms on...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock