Discuss Quick question to all plumber's mainly self employed in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

james017

Would you or the company you work for take anyone on who has just finished a City & Guilds Level 2 Certificate (6129), City & Guilds NVQ 2 (6089) fast track with no experiance? as i am thinking of doing the course or whether or not to do the long way of two years in college?

Hiya

Unfortunately even though you are qualified it doesn't make you competent! and thats what they are looking for, im sure there are plenty of plumbing companies who would employ you as a trainee/improver/plumbers mate type role (opinion not taking into account current financial economy!) but expect at least two years to gain competency if your familiar with the consrtuction industry on the whole if not then 3-4 years, some pick it up quicker than others.

I left school at 16 and did an apprenticeship and completed it in 3 years thinking i would get a full days wage only to be told i would spend a year on slightly more but until proved competent i would not earn an 'adults' wage!

Unfortunately you will have to swallow a low income for a while, that is unless you wanted to go self employed? you can start with the moving of radiators and fixing taps, and as you progress take the 1,2 or 5 day courses to learn about each different aspect in greater detail ultimately ending in the gas safe register, but again expect 3-4 years!

But to answer your question I would consider someone in your position but again with the aforementioned constraints starting on around £13 - £14K rising £2 - £3K per year upon satisfactory progress
Hope i have not sounded to negative

Last edited by a moderator:
The recognised industry standard is NVQ Level 3 which means 4 years at college, as you cannot get a proper NVQ without on site experience. Without this you also cannot be graded as a plumber by the JIB and so will probably only be paid as a plumber's mate. Unless of course you worked for a company that wasn't registered with the JIB. I don't wish to throw a spanner in the works for you (apologies for the pun) but fast track courses are a waste of time and money and the majority of people in this profession frown upon them.

I totaly agree .. They realy damage the plumbing industry,, make a mockery of apprenticeships and the only winner is the course organisers..

Hiya

Unfortunately even though you are qualified it doesn't make you competent! and thats what they are looking for, im sure there are plenty of plumbing companies who would employ you as a trainee/improver/plumbers mate type role (opinion not taking into account current financial economy!) but expect at least two years to gain competency if your familiar with the consrtuction industry on the whole if not then 3-4 years, some pick it up quicker than others.

I left school at 16 and did an apprenticeship and completed it in 3 years thinking i would get a full days wage only to be told i would spend a year on slightly more but until proved competent i would not earn an 'adults' wage!

Unfortunately you will have to swallow a low income for a while, that is unless you wanted to go self employed? you can start with the moving of radiators and fixing taps, and as you progress take the 1,2 or 5 day courses to learn about each different aspect in greater detail ultimately ending in the gas safe register, but again expect 3-4 years!

But to answer your question I would consider someone in your position but again with the aforementioned constraints starting on around £13 - £14K rising £2 - £3K per year upon satisfactory progress
Hope i have not sounded to negative

I would actually be happy with that wage i dont expect to jump out of the course and be on a 20k job and i dont mind working on low wage as i am still only 22 yrs old i am not thinking about next yr, i am thinking by the age of 27-32 i want to be on a good wage if you know what i mean

You might be happy with the wage, but trust me you'll find it hard getting a job.

As an ex fast tracker (nearly 5 years ago) my I politely reply to PJE1098's comment above.

Fast trackers have only been around for no more than 5 or 6 years, the damage to the reputation of the plumbing industry was done long before that, by people who may well have served plumbing apprenticeships, be Corgi registered and maybe even have 20 years plus experience.

On entering the industry, and achieving C+G 6088, Water Regs, Unvented and Part G with CORGI, I went on to establish my own business and (notwithstanding the current economical situation) have been reasonably successful.

Whilst working I have come accross plumbing installations which were//are quite frankly shoddy, and the work has been carried out by individuals who would claim to be suitably qualified, experienced and registered and may even look down their noses at fast trackers like me. And when it comes to what they were historically charging for this poor quality workmanship, its not hard to work out why they are collectively to blame for destroying the good name of the trade in general.

Therefore, I can tell you straight that there are some incredibly incompetent plumbers out there who are NOT fast trackers, and some very good plumbers who are.

Through experience, I have found that is often the less able, less confident, less successful and technically challenged "old school" plumbers who are quickest to point a finger at "fast trackers", as it seems to give them some re-assurance that there is someone lower on the totem pole than themselves.

Its only human nature not to want to be "last" in the race or to come bottom in the league tables, so it seems to me that some people are too quick to point the finger at "fast trackers" when perhaps they should be looking to themselves, or their colleagues for the source of the damage done to the reputation of the plumbing industry.

........now how do do like them apples?????

Last edited by a moderator:
well said
this is a plumbers forums for plumbers new or old.
not for joe soap to get info out of us
jobs that some of us need

these may be the crap work you had to repair...........

Fast track courses and media hype are to blame for state of plumbing, By saying you can be a qualified plumber in a few months through intensive training undermimes the principles that trades are taught on, hence why apprenticeships are 4 years long, in fact, turn the clock back 30 years and they were 6-7 years long!!!

NOT 2 - 3 months!

On a Fastrack you can learn to solder, fix taps, bit of regs, move a radiator etc, but you will never learn the fundamental scienctific principles of plumbing which underpins everything you would/should do as a plumber.

You will always have good or bad plumbers just as you would with carpenters or brick layers but you cant blame that on the way the trade was taught, However what is very clear to alot of peeple is that fastrack plumbers are worse than apprentice trained plumbers because they come out of training after 3 months or so with the same attitude as an apprentice "im a qualified competent plumber" when infact the guy whos done his 4 years could claim exactly that, fastrack...... yeah right!!!

Its like saying a kwik fit fitter is a mechanic, would you trust the kwik fit guy to change your cambelt.... i think not, though i would be happy for him to change tyres exhausts etc

I'm a newly "qualified" plumber (fast track). I didn't have 4 years to wait to start earning because I have a family and mortgage.

When you learn to drive you can have a lesson a week (like an apprentice) or do a five day intensive driving course (fast track). Neither makes you a better driver. You pass the test and THEN you start learning how to drive well.

From what I've heard an old fashioned apprentice spent the first year or two learning how to do things like make the tea, fetch and carry things from and to the van, hold the basin in place while his master screws the thing into the wall and so on. I assume this is why they call these courses fast track because the training centres don't teach you these pointless tasks and get on with teaching you how to solder, the water regs and so on. Not on one evening a week - it's full on all day for a couple of months. Interestingly, 48 weeks at 2 hours evening course per week = 96 hours learning. That's three weeks at 32 hours per week. These courses are generally eight weeks plus (or 256 hours of learning!)

With my "qualifications" I know how to solder, fix taps and so on. My job usually soldering in new pipe, fixing taps, repairing loos, installing bathrooms, moving or installing radiators and stuff like that. It's not rocket science but I did my course because I wanted to know how to do these jobs properly. I had no idea until I went on the course that there were water regulations so if I'd set up as a plumber without going on a course I'd be called irresponsible.

If I get a job that requires more ability than I have (e.g. installing a brand new central heating system) I'll back off and recommend a more experienced plumber. One day (in a few years time?), I'll learn enough to be able to do that job myself.

I don't know everything and probably never will but I do consider myself a "qualified compentent plumber" when it comes to things such as installing bathrooms, showers, repairing loos and that type of thing. (Just about all my jobs come from recommendation as I hardly advertise.)

If the point you're making is someone new to the industry does not know anything like as much as an old hand I'd agree and think most other fast trackers will as well.

We're not necessarily worse than apprentice trained though. We just have less experience in dealing with things we weren't taught like, how to cope with imperial sized pipes and copper waste pipes.

There are good and poor fast track plumbers and there are good and poor old hands who went through the old fashioned apprenticeship and I'd suggest the ratios of both are approximately equal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Quick question to all plumber's mainly self employed in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello Plumbers/Gas Engineers, Excuse if this question has been raised but i am in a slight dilemma and for the past 2 weeks the internet has not...
Replies
Views
Good evening PlumbersForum I know this is probably the most commonly asked question but instead of looking through similar threads, maybe it...
Replies
Views
A
Hi All, I am looking to see if there is any opportunities for a Trainee Plumbing/Heating Installation Fitter who is not yet Gas Safe, but has the...
Replies
Views
AntP1980
A
W
Hi everyone, if this post is in the wrong thread please move, but I have a big problem. Until recently I have been training and enrolled with a...
Replies
Views
lame plumber
L
M
Good morning folks I am writing to you regarding the possibility of working alongside a qualifed plumber as an intermediate experienced trainee...
Replies
Views
Marty32
M
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock