Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Rotting terminal on linea 28 in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Millsy 82

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
I've got a problem with a linea 28 keeps coming up 04 fan/flue fault.

Before me somebody has installed an aps and heat exchanger.

I have cleaned Venturi worked ok for 5 mins then back to 04. So I said it could be the fan is running slightly slow and hasn't got the power behind it. (It's a twin flue so it's a long run but within limits) but due to previous problem I had here wanted to get a roof ladder out here to inspect terminal. The company disagreed with me so I fitted a new fan and swapped the venturis as well whilst doing it. Still no change. I think it could be a rotten flue terminal causing the problem something that I suspected a while back.

The previous problem was high co on the boiler I found a dodgy gasket on the twin-vertical flue adapter. Replaced that made it slightly better but still high. I said that it needed terminal inspecting properly as that is the only place the flue duct and air duct are together. The "top" engineer came out and sorted the high CO problem by dropping the burner pressure 2.5mb lower than it should be.

Is this possible that the terminal could cause all this problem? My problem is I don't have a roof rack ladders or roof ladder otherwise I would run up there and check it and my company don't listen as their "top" bloke doesn't think you can have a faulty terminal!

Hi Millsy 82. Have you checked the Differential pressure across the venturi? Mi's ask for 1.1mbar! If you ain't getting that then suspect fan/flue ... I've seen loads of these fans with that much crud on the impellers you're amazed they'll spin! :)

Going to change the APS on one this week and give it a good clean out as it's doing an 03 as well :)

I'd be taking the fan out first and washing it and then oil and grease the motor and bearings.

What are your FGA reading like?

I've had a prima once that was cycling on and off and it turned out to be a rotten inner flue, it was causing the flame to vitiate and knock the boiler off and the cycle would start all over again.

Id id be checking the FGA and the air inlet reading if you can as well :)

Last edited:
Hi Millsy 82. Have you checked the Differential pressure across the venturi? Mi's ask for 1.1mbar! If you ain't getting that then suspect fan/flue ... I've seen loads of these fans with that much crud on the impellers you're amazed they'll spin! :)

It's amazing what can get into a fan and yet it still spins.

I removed and and washed a fan the other day and about 10 great big bumble bees came out :)

It's amazing what can get into a fan and yet it still spins.

I removed and and washed a fan the other day and about 10 great big bumble bees came out :)

It's been a while since I've gone to those lengths I must admit! I'm getting quite lazy in my old age!! :) I did brush and vac out one a couple of weeks back but usually just suck up a couple of dead flies from the burner chamber and brush a bit of dust of the hex :)

I'd be taking the fan out first and washing it and then oil and grease the motor and bearings.

What are your FGA reading like?

I've had a prima once that was cycling on and off and it turned out to be a rotten inner flue, it was causing the flame to vitiate and knock the boiler off and the cycle would start all over again.

Id id be checking the FGA and the air inlet reading if you can as well :)

What do you wash and grease them with then

What do you wash and grease them with then

Just wash them in a sink with the cold tap :) just don't get it on the motor.

Then just use oil to lube the bearings and spray wd40 all over the fan and the rotating spindle to remove any grit you may have missed.

9/10 seized fans I can get up and running again and only the odd one comes back in and I have to order a new fan.

Most of the time fans are blocked up with all sorts that comes in via the flue and this stuff can be easily removed and the fan is as good as new :)

Its had a new heat exchanger and APS fitted by another engineer. I have replaced the venturi's and fan.

When I disconnect the flue up in the loft and leave the air intake off it works perfectly and fires up everytime.

The FGA readings are high CO and Im picking up a small amount of CO in the air intake. The "top" engineer apparently sorted that when he fit a new heat exchanger and aps but really all he did was drop the B.P so just hiding the problem and not fixing it.

Its had a new heat exchanger and APS fitted by another engineer. I have replaced the venturi's and fan.

When I disconnect the flue up in the loft and leave the air intake off it works perfectly and fires up everytime.

The FGA readings are high CO and Im picking up a small amount of CO in the air intake. The "top" engineer apparently sorted that when he fit a new heat exchanger and aps but really all he did was drop the B.P so just hiding the problem and not fixing it.

If you've got CO in your air intake then there's you fault. Your flue seals have gone. New flue time :)

you need to follow unsafe procedures on this boiler too :)

If you've got CO in your air intake then there's you fault. Your flue seals have gone. New flue time :)

you need to follow unsafe procedures on this boiler too :)

Yeah all capped and notice etc done. Ive been trying to get this through to my boss but he wont listen. 4 Times I've been out and told the bloke its the flue at fault and now ive got to go back for a fifth time with the top engineer as they still dont believe me. I started doubting myself im tempted to tell them to stick there job over this as its just making me look like an idiot.

Yeah all capped and notice etc done. Ive been trying to get this through to my boss but he wont listen. 4 Times I've been out and told the bloke its the flue at fault and now ive got to go back for a fifth time with the top engineer as they still dont believe me. I started doubting myself im tempted to tell them to stick there job over this as its just making me look like an idiot.

It's them that looks stupid mate. Not you.

Whatever you do though, if they don't fit a new flue or seals and want it back on, let them do it and sign it off.

They sound like numpties to be fair. Stick to your guns :)

2014-04-02 15.46.56.jpg2014-04-02 16.21.17.jpg

Ok, so I thought i would have a go a re-greasing a fan. Blimey what a mission. As you can see from the above pictures it was not very successful. how do you get to the bearings to grease them? I could not undo the nut connected to the motor shaft to be able to move fan to get to screws to get to bearings. It was a disater

Ok, so I thought i would have a go a re-greasing a fan. Blimey what a mission. As you can see from the above pictures it was not very successful. how do you get to the bearings to grease them? I could not undo the nut connected to the motor shaft to be able to move fan to get to screws to get to bearings. It was a disater

that's brilliant!!! :) Only fan's I've ever washed were warm air impellers. I'v scraped and brushed the ingrained dust and muck off many like the one you demolished though :lol:

I didn't think it was brilliant! Nor was i laughing. Sometimes this forum is a great help, and others a headache!! Luckily more times it is a help. Always nice to have a bash at what others do a

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Rotting terminal on linea 28 in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock