Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Sealing flue liner in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

frspikeyhead

I know it's in the books as an unpreferred method of sealing a flue liner to a chimney by using mineral wool, but I have never seen this method actually used. However, I may need to have recourse to this method myself on a current job as I cannot get enough room to fit a gather adapter without smashing out the front of the chimney which is not an option fot eh customer. Have any of you guys used mineral wool?

I gather that this is for a gas fire install? as you mention a gather plate. Rock wool was always used for sealing the annular space between the chimney and linner on gas back boiler installs, not for this application. So if I suspect correctly what you are trying to achieve you should have a proper tapered gather plate. If you are not GSR registered, you should not be doing this work. If you are PM a moderator with your details to enter the GSR private forum.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. Sorry it was a bit unclear what I was intending. I was going to use a closure plate with mineral wool and attach the flue liner to the plate as I cannot get a gather unit into that particular part of the chimney. I have never seen this done before but it is in the regs. I checked with the tech guys today and was told that this method is perfectly acceptable. And yes, I am GSR.

i dont think a closure plate will be suitable, they are not very strong. do you mean a registerplate?

When you've proved you're gsr I'll happily move and reopen this thread.

Untill then..........

Any posts relating to gas, gas appliances, boilers and central heating should be posted in their relevant sections and not in the public domain.

We cannot and will not give advice on the installation or repair of boilers, cookers or ANY gas appliances for your own safety.

Please go to Gas Safe Register | Ensure your gas engineer is registered. or post a thread in the 'I'm looking for a plumber / gas engineer' section of these forums remembering to include your location. [DLMURL="http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/im-looking-plumber-gas-engineer/"]I'm looking for a Plumber or Gas Engineer[/DLMURL]

If you are gsr please increase your post count to 10+ then send a PM (Private Message) with your gsr details to either Gas man - View Profile: gas man - Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice | Plumbers Forums | A forum for plumbers advice in the UK or Redsaw - View Profile: REDSAW - Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice | Plumbers Forums | A forum for plumbers advice in the UK who will check you and then give you access to the gsr private forum.

Providing gas-related advice to anybody who should not be touching gas and cannot prove their competence is unacceptable. We will take whatever action we deem appropriate to prevent such advice being given

Thank you.

UKPF TA's, Mods and Admin teams.

http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/central-heating-forum/42241-notice-gas-safety-related-advice.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Sealing flue liner in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock