Discuss Should I Dilute Spirit Of Salts To Descale Combi Plate Hex? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally managed to locate a supplier of Spirit Of Salts, and I now have a small bottle of it. I want to remove the limescale from the hw side of my Turbomax's plate heat exchanger. Judging by the luke warm water out of the hot taps, it must be badly scaled.

Anyhow, do I use the S O S neet, or dilute it? If diluting is recommended, what mix? Also, how long should I leave the S O S in the hex?

Any other advice gratefully received. I'm anxious to get the scale out, without damaging the exchanger.

Many thanks.

I used it once as i had in van to descale a sink heater hx and it cleared that just keep putting a little in till it stop fizzing

do it neet
in open air
use gloves and glasses
i leave it 10- 15 mins
flush throughly

IMO S O S is far to strong for the job (alright for cleaning sanitary ware) I would start off with citric acid you can by from chemist shop in power form mix / dissolve in hot water & run through plate (also great for kettles & cheap).
The chances are it will not be blocked on the secondary side anyway but with crap from the primary's.
Dont forget SOS is inhibited hydrochloric acid & should be handled with great care. It should not be diluted or mixed with anything, even water.

read the cosh sheet!.

it reacts with water and can blow in your face violently as well as give noxious fumes so should not be inhaled!!.

after what redsaw said about loosing your face just buy a new one from fleabay for 50 quid and keep ya face

Thanks for all your replies. Can I really get a new face on Ebay for £50? Cheaper than surgery, as I ain't no oil painting. :sad:

If it is the primaries blocked with rust particles, will the citric acid clear these. Or, would it need something stronger?

Couple more questions -

If I use citric acid, what mix with water should I make up?

What metal is the plate hex on my Turbomax made of?

Couple more questions -

If I use citric acid, what mix with water should I make up?

What metal is the plate hex on my Turbomax made of?
I buy it in a small box with two plastic bags & use it for the kettle keep it as strong as poss (try one bag & if not add the other) you will see it bubble as it breaks down scale & it seems to work best if hot, I would make it up in a plastic jug & then poor carefully into the plate until full, moving around a bit to remove air.
Most plate's I have seen, seem to be made from copper which has been plated.

Once again, thanks for your replies.

Chris Watkins>>>>>>>>>>>>>> I have been to the chemist's and got some Citric Acid Monohydrate - for culinary use, in 50 gram bag. Hope this is the right stuff? Will dilute the whole lot in hot water and try my luck.

If the primary side is choked with rust particles, how do you clear/dissolve this - or is the hex scrap?

Back washing with mains hose pipe first & then I have a mate who has a sonic bath he has even built a rig for main heat exchangers works a treat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Should I Dilute Spirit Of Salts To Descale Combi Plate Hex? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Hi all Noticed bad smell in my drain out side put my hand down and it unclogged it for now however I checked my sewer drain and after flushing my...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock