Discuss Soil Pipe Angle Options - Advice & Help required in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

ha-ha-ha, my wife is generally incredibly loud, through all holes....wait.... no, that's fair.

anyway...we had building control out to triple check the legitimacy of the options. With external being a no-go, they said option 3 or 4 would be not ideal, but passable, the rest would not be.

So we went with #3, to keep the 'acoustics' shall we say....away from what really should be the quietest room in the house!.

245223973_203369338575207_1415365795342345162_n.jpg

Last edited:
it really isn't hard to over come with some insulation and sound block Plaster board and I'm sure you'll have the silence and solitude you hope for.

Yeah, for an extra measure, I purchased some of the rubber sm20 panels too. They're great and only 20mm deep. So the wall 'sandwich' now is

Soundbloc 12.5mm -> SM20 -> Soundbloc 12.5mm -> Studs full of RW5 rockwool 150mm -> Moisture Resistant 12.5mm

207mm thick or so in total! and on the library side it will obviously have floor to ceiling bookcases and books too! I hope its enough, she is very loud.

ha-ha-ha, my wife is generally incredibly loud, through all holes....wait.... no, that's fair.

anyway...we had building control out to triple check the legitimacy of the options. With external being a no-go, they said option 3 or 4 would be not ideal, but passable, the rest would not be.

So we went with #3, to keep the 'acoustics' shall we say....away from what really should be the quietest room in the house!.
Definitely a builders job he's used a mix of under ground drainage and above ground 🤭 Just make sure there's no solvent weld joints onto any of the brown fittings you cannot glue those.

What's the difference in characteristics for above vs under ground?

Typically underground is pp (polypropylene). Polypipe do a pvc underground range (which can be solvent welded).
Above ground is pvc.

pp is stronger and more flexible than pvc.
pp can not be solvent welded, push fit is used. This also allows for movement in the earth without damaging the pipe.
pp is environmentally friendlier than pvc. pvc contains Chlorine.

I do recall the plumber using solvent. If he has used it on the pp bits what will happen? Do I need to get that rectified now ahead of all the tiling etc?

Last edited:
I do recall the plumber using solvent. If he has used it on the pp bits what will happen? Do I need to get that rectified now ahead of all the tiling etc?

Solvent doesn’t stick to orange so yes

I asked them about it. They said they only used solvent to connect the white to white. Didn't use solvent on any of the pp pieces.

Also said below ground is fine to use above? But above ground not ok to use below.

Image below for ref.

View attachment 64961

Reply to Soil Pipe Angle Options - Advice & Help required in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I've not posted for a while, not a plumber, but a keen DIYer who likes to try and do things without bodging if I can. Basically I'm wanting to...
Replies
Views
Attached is a ground floor picture of the soil pipe in our home. There was originally a toilet which has now been permanently capped off and you...
Replies
Views
D
Options needed for Soil Pipe/Toilet fitting. Hi Everyone. - I'm planning a bathroom remodel, and my wife would like a solution that covers the...
Replies
Views
Hi All, I'm due to start building a new side extension on a 3 bed semi, it's across the driveway up to the boundary. We're adding a downstairs...
Replies
Views
A
Hey, I'll start by saying I'll be getting a plumber out to do this but wanted some advice first. We're redoing our ground floor bathroom this year...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock