Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Soil pipe leak - advice appreciated! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I've got a customer with a leaking plastic soil pipe. It's outside on a joint into an elbow which goes horizontally into the wall and then the loo. The pipe then runs on a sloping angle into the main soil pipe.

I think my options are:
a)Whack a load of sealant into the joint and see if that stops the leak - bit of a bodge and I'm not sure if it would work.

b) Somehow get the elbow joint out of the wall but it's 4 inches in diameter and a bit of a job. At least that way the job would be done properly.

c) Separate the sloping pipe from the elbow - but it's glued and I think that would be difficult or impossible to remove.

Does anyone have a better suggestion please as I want to do it right!

Cheers all

My suggestion is carry a digital camera or camera phone to every job from now on because it's little tricky without seeing it.

You've answered your own question with answer b, i.e do the job properly. However as a trained plumber, "some how" getting the bend out doesn't exactly inspire confidence, as you should have a good idea of how to achieve this.

Last edited by a moderator:
you will prob need to cut the sloping secion and pull the 4" out the wall away from the wc and repipe

Lol this guy seriously doesnt sound like a time served plumber! Dont do A that sounds like such a cowboy! U wanna cut the 4" and get a 'slip-joint straight' and replace the 90* and pipework to suit. U can get the straights from local build centre or jewsons 

I know! It's laughable! I'm not a time-served plumber and even I know what to do. Silicone it until you can't silicone it no more.

That should hold it.

A. Should i do a bad job
B. Should i do the job properly

...thats a tricky one to answer

You may find that the coller has come apart from the elbow on closer inspection or the o ring has been distorted or the pipe is scratched etc.

If all fitted correctly its uncomman for them just to start leaking.

if its a small leak from a joint(2mm or less) then trying to seal it with sillicone will be fine, if its a poor joint(wide gap) or has some damage then it will def need a repipe. We all know that it would be ideal to replace the problem joint but its not a perfect world, give the customer the options and they can weigh it up.

if its a small leak from a joint(2mm or less) then trying to seal it with sillicone will be fine, if its a poor joint(wide gap) or has some damage then it will def need a repipe. We all know that it would be ideal to replace the problem joint but its not a perfect world, give the customer the options and they can weigh it up.

Good advice but use tec 7 better than silicone for the likes of this

Thanks all for the advice. It's true I'm not a time-served plumber but I'm also not a bodger. The lady concerned had a brain aneurism 2 years ago and is being forced to sell her house as she can't afford to keep it on. I was hoping that siliconing would be the cheapest option and would at least hold while she's in the process of selling. Thanks again all.

I was going to say - but didn't for fear of lynching - that if I don't fancy a job because it looks a pain or I've not the time - and if I get the vibe from the customer that they've not the stomach nor the wallet for all but a small job - I will occassionally offer the lesser proven/recommended of a range of solutions, being clear that it's not the "done way" but "probably will work" at least for "a good while." If this is explained and the customer is happy - especially in light of other options - I don't mind doing it. The only worry would be people unaware of this conversation finding out who did the work at a later date and it harming my reputation but on a carefull judged case by case basis I usually think this is quite a small risk.

Plus the one or two times when I've had a customer imply I'm on the make where not when I did bad work but when I quoted for a complete and proper fix of something that someone then came along and did a bodge fix on for a tenth of the price.

If she was my customer I'd suggest trying to silicone it and leaving it for the next people who will probably want to change everything in any case, whether it's dripping or not.

Silicone will take a near certain maximum of 30 minutes with testing.

I spend i bit of time on here to take my mind of my problems, a brain aneurism. I am booked in for an operation in the near future. My concern now being, if my surgeon reads this post, i may wake up with silicon pumping out me ears. Must go now to have a chat with me estate agent.

i would not be supprised on the NHS, my recent hernia op i was told to get dressed and leave because the ward was closing at 6.00 and i had just come around from my general at 5.30.

hope all goes well mate.

Thanks for the kind words. I dont think my wards open yet, Ive been waiting 6 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Soil pipe leak - advice appreciated! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock