Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss sooting in builders opening terminal in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
what causes excessive sooting enough to block openings in terminal ,this was on a gas fire it passed a spillage test but smoke entered the room on flue flow,this was a class 1 chimney with a liner.

knackerd burner,blocked lint arrestor,over gassing,wrong aeration setting worn jets to name but a few

Burning damp coal:)

Generally tho, a lack of air produces excess smoke which produces soot.

A gas appliance should never produce smoke/soot if it is burning properly. Failing the flue flow test indicates a partial blockage or more air needed. Can also be effected by the terminal position and the weather.

Are you sure there has not been a solid fuel in before?

Burning damp coal:)

Generally tho, a lack of air produces excess smoke which produces soot.

A gas appliance should never produce smoke/soot if it is burning properly. Failing the flue flow test indicates a partial blockage or more air needed. Can also be effected by the terminal position and the weather.

Are you sure there has not been a solid fuel in before?

used for back boiler before,it is none of gas man suggestions, could not get up on roof and to be honest i have no wish too,but from what i can see the terminai it self is black and looks blocked smoke seemed to be coming from around it, it also looks smaller than any other i've come across

If it was a back boiler in before it will be a class 2 chimney (5")

May be a GC1 or similar on top.
gc1 cowl.JPG
What type of fire is fitted

Has the opening got a smooth tapered transition on to the flue liner?

Has the opening got a smooth tapered transition on to the flue liner?

slightly off line,flue liner in front off gas fire opening,products probably going behind liner around builders opening then back up towards liner,will this mean repostioning liner

Using the existing liner is not always advisable as it can be hard to tell the integrity of it. Providing a class 2 is suitable for the fire, if you do plan on using it then the liner must be sealed properly at the bottom. No voids between the liner and chimney are allowed. There are different methods of achieving this but here is some guidance.
From BS5871.jpg

Personally, depending on the age of the building and condition of the chimney, i would consider pulling the liner out and doing a test on the existing brick chimney.
Also check the size of the catchment area. If it is too big (over 650mm wide x 475mm deep) reduce it by building up with brick or concrete block as too big an area can affect the draw.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to sooting in builders opening terminal in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi Guys, My chimney failed the test so I need to install a flue liner for my Gazco Stockton gas fire. It was over a year ago when the engineer...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, Just looking for a bit of advice really. last week we had our carbon monoxide alarm go off upstairs. We have 2 alarms in the house...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and just some background on myself. I have 4 years experience as a plumber but haven't worked in the trade in 15 years. I...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Just wanted to share my experience with "upgrading" an S plan setup to Opentherm and Vaillant Control Center (VR66). There are a few...
Replies
Views
Good afternoon, I was hoping someone could advise regarding the regulations around flue terminations through a 'fake' window. We have a...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock