Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Starting and subcontracting in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mrclemo

hello all, Ive recently passed my ACS,passed a load of modules (cen1, met1 etc-etc) completed my portfolio,and had in signed off, got my self gas safe registered, and im sorting out a van tools etc. I have looked threw some other threads kicking about on here and generally people with the same situation as me always hit the same obstacle. EXPERIENCE. now, yes I did do a expensive, 8 week course. but, i have also been un-officially audited by a top SSE auditor, I regularly service my bro in laws boiler under his supervision(he is a gas safe engineer), and i got to the last 2 in a interview with SSE, but lost out to a 9yr Brit gas veteran(no surprises there). Its all well and good for experienced engineers to look down there noses at people in my situation because of the training, which i can understand to a degree, but the centre i used is used by some of the bigger firms to retrain there own staff, so its swings and roundabouts really. Can someone please advise me on where to go next - i appreciate most engineers don't want a trainee, and I might even have to b unpaid at first, but i genuinely want to forge a career in the industry, But i need a break. will subcontractors take on service only people like me? or if not please someone tell me how i get the experience
thanks for your time http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/images/smilies/confused.png

Can't the firm who you did your portfolio take you, as they will already know what you are like and how you work?
Also if you have your own gas safe then you could subcontract in your own right. Thats what I've had to do after being made redundant - it's hard but you'll get there eventually.
Also I don't think people look down their noses at people like yourself, I just think too many people think "I know, I'll train a plumber/gas fitter, earn 60k a year and be home at two!!" when in reality its far from the truth and much much harder, I think thats what people don't like, and I'm not saying you are like that!!!!!!!!!!!!
Personally I would try with smaller firms first to get your experiance they will probably let you just do servicing, when I started all I did was servicing just so I could see the different types of appliances out there - the larger firms like people to be able to do everything.

cheers tom, I am going to try working on my own but want to buddy up to get the experience.once i get my van and last bits of tools ill be looking into local firms, have tried a few b4 my gas safe but they weren't interested, no experience...... and sorry for the rant. Its a frustrating old game...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Starting and subcontracting in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock