Search the forum,

Discuss The reason I don't use flexis... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Flexis are very useful sometimes, especially when piping up those awkward gas hobs..
LOL, that was so funny. The Polish guide to gas cooker installations?

ive just seen the newer posts, yes there is more possibility that the tap will move if it is on flexis, but the tap should be tightened enough in the first place.... it doesnt matter about what connection is beneath it :)

you can only tighten a plastic jam nut so much,
plastic jam nut + hot water + flexi + hep2o= "hiya, remember me, you fitted my bath, well theres water coming through the living room ceiling"
we used to keep brass jam nuts from 3/4" ballcocks and swap the inside one for plastic so we had brass for the taps, and thats with tap adaptors and copper

System3: i know where ur all comin from, but i just dont trust fibre washers... sooo many times ive come across a copper tap connector with a broken fibre washer, or LS-X, or mastic all over it, or its been cross threaded...
a great example to use a flexi is when u have to replace an old tap with a new one and the new tap has a longer thread than the old, so you have the option of cutting the copper back and putting a new valve(which so often isnt there) on and a flexi because there isnt space to solder a copper pipe on with out burning the wall or the bath.
and often, the pipe has already been bent to suit the old so ur already struggling to find a long enough lenght of copper that you can connect to.

I used to use alot of plastic pipe a flexi's when I worked for a firm and they supplied us with materials for a job, and sometimes it will just save you alot of time to use it. Now I am self employed I use copper 99% of the time, but flexi's and plastic can get you out of trouble at times. I have managed to feed plastic through under fully tiled rooms by lifting a board in the rooms either side etc, same for expensive wood flooring. This would not have been possible with just copper.

Copper pipe adds to the strength of the tap, so helps prevent it turning. Plastic or flexis do nothing.

what would you rather change, the inside bath tap that is onto copper with FI adaptor and red stag, or a hep20 pipe and flexi (ok we know what is easier to change, but the flexi has only been in for a few months and the red stag for 30yrs thats the difference)

i dont think Whn1 knows what were talkina bout...
but im fighting my corner... im listening to what ur all sayin.... but id love to see u try getting into the tight spaces ive had (jokes aside) to and try soldering a pipe or not use a flexi...

nope, im still not convinced, u lot r too old skol. nout wrong with flexis. ok, they may not last potentially as long as copper but they are so so useful in areas where you cant reach, or pre- pipe taps, etc.

dancinplumba and I will marry one day, ur all invited, but instead of throwing conffetti, you have to throw plumbers mait at us (yer, its sticky and messy but i think plumba n i will love it), and our rings will be made of hardened LS-X, so it fits our fingers perfectly.... oh, and my dress will be made of thousands of taps of PTFE tape :)

perfect, just perfect
what a dream boat!

OOOOooo he says (knees wobbling ) never more a truer sight of lovliness......

but im fighting my corner... im listening to what ur all sayin.... but id love to see u try getting into the tight spaces ive had (jokes aside) to and try soldering a pipe or not use a flexi...

Why do you think you get in tighter spaces than the rest of us lol???

the space between a wall and bath hasnt changed much over the years, ok it used to be about 2" and now its about 50mm, but the blow lamp and pipe slice still fit in

whats red stag? :s

i use copper for all of first fix, but i beleive flexis are fine to use when it comes to basins, baths and toilets.

what do u guys use when u have the toilets thats u have to connect to the water before pushing them back to the wall? flexis.... :)

the space between a wall and bath hasnt changed much over the years, ok it used to be about 2" and now its about 50mm, but the blow lamp and pipe slice still fit in

thats not always simple of cost effective... in my opinion... expesh the side thats closest to the wall

Claire. we've all seen incorrectly installed fittings of all types, including those that use fibre washers, but that is the fault of the installer and not of the material. I fault flexis as the material not for those who install them.

Copper will outlast flexis and plastic and that is why I prefer it. As professionals we have to be a cut above the diy brigade and I take more pride and satisfaction from a installation using copper.

By the way, most washing machine manufacturers recommend changing washing machine hoses every 5 years, so where does that leave flexis?

I love getting into tight places :rolleyes: - but, back to plumbing, - if others can solder in hard places, then why not? Also don't solder or compress anything in awkward places that can be done out of place!

i'll do a deal, ill kick myself in 10 years if i find out you were right. n u the same?! .... but not in the shin, coz that really hurts :)

dancin plumba, we need to decide on music....?x

For me copper = professional job and flexis = DIY.

I know there are exceptions where flexis make sense, at the end of the day a piece of rubber hose coated in a steel braid is never going to be as strong as a well made section of copper pipe.

Claire. we've all seen incorrectly installed fittings of all types, including those that use fibre washers, but that is the fault of the installer and not of the material. I fault flexis as the material not for those who install them.

Copper will outlast flexis and plastic and that is why I prefer it. As professionals we have to be a cut above the diy brigade and I take more pride and satisfaction from a installation using copper.

By the way, most washing machine manufacturers recommend changing washing machine hoses every 5 years, so where does that leave flexis?

and i also remember something about washing machine valves being turned off when not in use
sorry to hijack this a bit, but who turns their water off when they go away on holiday? i do EVERY time, you dont just get bursts in winter, a wash mch hose can go anytime, flexi can burst (lets not go there haha) but also a leak can just appear, my sis in law phoned me in the middle of the night a few yrs back when her cistern split into 2 seperate halves in the middle of the night, some damamge done, but imagine it happened when they were away

woah, u must be pretty big boobed then kirk! i WILL not tell u my size but i wouldnt say it was small.. but i also wouldnt say they were too bug to be droopy, na what i mean?!!!!!
hhaha...oh my god, i cant beleive im sayin this

i'll do a deal, ill kick myself in 10 years if i find out you were right. n u the same?! .... but not in the shin, coz that really hurts :)

dancin plumba, we need to decide on music....?x

in 10yrs most of us will be pan breed

woah, u must be pretty big boobed then kirk! i WILL not tell u my size but i wouldnt say it was small.. but i also wouldnt say they were too bug to be droopy, na what i mean?!!!!!
hhaha...oh my god, i cant beleive im sayin this

I dont believe you, you need to prove it with pictures lol.

mfgs... you are in the wrong forum if u want boobies :)
i am a proffessional dont u know...:)

maybe im too young in the game to commet, but ive only seen one that has failed and that was because it was kinked. i really rate them. they are great on cold inlets to cisterns because they are less likely to cross thread as you can 'feel' it better.
i also think they are good for connections on bath taps that are on the back of a wall. you can connect hep to them, and push the bath into place without worrying you are straining it too much :)
why not, sweet, use hep all way to taps, still flexible and eliminates a potential weak point
that will be hard to fix down the line ?? ie have to take bath out ??:001_icon16:

thanks dancinplumba, i should of known ud come to the rescue.... ive not got much lovers in this post, but im stickin to my word!
i <3 u xx

There has been several attempts to replace copper with different materials...remember stainless steel for domestic use? and I don't think any one of them has come close to stealing copper's crown.

Copper and soldered fittings are equal in comparison to the cost of plastic and push fit fittings when you add on the price of inserts, the cost of each fitting (to change direction also requires a fitting), extra pipe clips etc.

Besides, I've yet to see a rat eat it's way through a copper pipe. They love the plastic stuff!

not sure what sort of places u work in, but i wouldnt work in places full of rats! plastic, as far as prices are concerned, is much more expensive.... your lookin at 25p for a end feed copper elbow fitting, but the difference is, you are able to get into spaces that you cant with soldered fitting with out potentially causing a fire.

am i wrong... but hep and john guest maybe hasnt been around long enough for an average lifespan?

Using flexis is a big enough boob for me mate.

And Claire there are rodents present in 95% of UK households at one time or another and most don't even know they are there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to The reason I don't use flexis... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock