Discuss Toilet pan doesn't clear.... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hughieboy

Gas Engineer
I have a problem with a downstairs toilet not clearing solid waste. It's an old type Royal Doulton low level type with a bottom exit into the drain. It has a full flushing syphon type cistern.

Suspecting a blockage it has been removed and pressure washed through and is clear. The underfloor drain pipe it connects to is plastic 5" (?) which goes off under the garage door and out towards the road, obviously at a pretty shallow angle.

The flush operates properly and it doesn't back up but it mostly won't clear solid waste of any quantity, nearly always needing a bucket of water thrown down it to shift the offending article! The only thing that has changed in the last 5 years or so is that the neighbours had an ensuite bathroom fitted and the waste pipe from it was brought across in front of the house on our shared drive and joined to the main shared waste pipe by where the manhole/junction is, not sure if it's relevant.

can anyone suggest what the problem may be?

Many Thanks.

When you say " low type" do you mean a low level cistern or a close coupled?
Just wondering is it a syphonic type with an Airex

It's low level, ie cistern on the wall and connecting pipe to the pan. Proper 'old school' toilet...

Is the cistern emptying fully when flushed?....regards Turnpin:smile5:

And is there enough water in the cistern?
Also got to consider if anything could be lodged in the flush pipe to pan area.

Cistern doing what it should, plenty of flush, brand new syphon. Really strange. The u bend does look fairly tight but that's the way it's made so I guess it ought to work! Is it just about force of flush or is there something else it might be?

When was the new syphon fitted to the cistern? The syphon would need to allow the amount of water through it that the old pan is designed to need to flush.
Got to be sure the flush pipe to pan isn't blocked partially as I earlier said

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Toilet pan doesn't clear.... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock