Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss TRV Valves in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

LCV

Hi,

I am planning to have Chatworth radiators but they do not offer TRV valves. Could you please recommend a good quality TRV valve that I could fit on them. They are 15mm pipes.

Also, am I right in thinking that rads in the bathroom do not have to have TRV valves but the rest of the house does (apart from the landings) to meet Building Regs?

I live in London.

Thanks!

Danfoss ras C2 trvs or Drayton trv4s. Apparently now it's part of the rules that you DO fit a trv in the bathroom (it used to be don't fit them).

Last edited:
Hi there, I would agree with Neil above. I also like Honeywell valves, Honeywell have always been up there as market leaders with every other central heating control they release, so I trust their brand. You would only not have a thermostatic radiator on a valve where the room thermostat is. Sometimes a house may have 2 or 3 areas that are controlled by a room thermostat. These radiators should not have a TRV on. I hope this helps.

Thanks for your replies. The house is over 4 floors and the only room thermostat in the house is in the living room on the ground floor.

Hydroheat - your reply implies that I only need TRVs in the ground floor living room?

I find the ground floor to be coldest and each floor feels warmer the higher you go (as heat rises). I thought TRVs would be a good way to control the temperature for each floor without having to have a separate thermostat (and avoiding the additional cost of installing the pipework needed to have a thermostat on each floor). Is my thinking correct?

Sorry LCV - perhaps I didn't make myself clear. The building regs would prefer if you had time control and temperature control in different areas in your house e.g different floor levels etc. We call this zoning, to avoid the extra pipework and electrical work required, you can actually have TRVs installed which have a timer built into them, fantastic bit of kit. However these cost up to £70 a valve. The next option is control your whole central heating system off one timer and have one room thermostat on the wall. The room where the thermostat is will not have a TRV as they could conflict against each other. The TRV could turn the radiator off before the thermostat on the wall has chance to heat up to the desired temp, your central heating wound continue to run. So no TRV on the rad where the roomstat is. Instead you will put TRVs on each other radiator. you will not need to worry about having one without one because the room in the living doesn't have one, meaning if all the TRVs have reached temperature and have shut off the rads then the flow of water can continue to circulate through the radiator in the living room. Hope thats cleared things up for you.

Thanks Hydroheat for clarifying.
1st floor consist of living room, bathroom and bedroom. Should I have a thermostat in the 1st floor living room?
2nd floor consist of two bedrooms and a bathroom. I presume no thermostat required for this floor.
3rd floor consist of one bedroom and ensuite in loft conversion. I presume no thermostat required.

I think I read somewhere that all rads in the house need to have a TRV valves to pass building regs including the bathrooms. Does anyone know if this is correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to TRV Valves in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi I am trying to fit a Hive Radiator valve into my existing TRV valve body to make them automatic so have bought a Hive valve to try it out. I...
Replies
Views
I have a home with an oil boiler in a garage turned into a flat, heating both flat and main house, running c plan with two pumps, two motorised...
Replies
Views
Would like some help please as my Drayton Wiser system is a mess. I had 2 TRVs in the lounge, one in the main bedroom, the rest of the house - 6...
Replies
Views
Hi, I just moved into a new house and it has a Glow Worm Compact 24c combi boiler and a ESI ESRTP4RF+ programmable room thermostat and I am...
Replies
Views
Hoping somebody can help, So, in a nutshell… Standard 90s Westbury home – condensing boiler, pump, wall thermostat, etc etc... Normal, common or...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock