Discuss Wet patch on kitchen ceiling in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it's reasonably easy to remove a floor panel, that would be my next step. If you don't actually find the leak you should be able to get a better picture of where it's coming from.

I didnt remove the floor panel, the way its laid out means I wouldnt be ablt to see/access the pipe anyway.

I did cut out a square around the wet patch in the ceiling though, and found this:

pipe.jpg

either side of the drip appears dry, and if I wipe it away it seems to form centrally, i.e. not rolling in from either direction. There is no visible break or whatnot, so what could be causing this? I thought pipes were fairly robust, and it is just the joints and fittings that can cause problems.

Is this a quick easy repair? Plumbers mait or something similar?

To make sure it is not running along pipe from either end, I would wrap some toilet tissue around the pipe both sides of the leak, about a foot away.

Then if it was coming along the pipe, one of the tissues would get wet and make it obvious.

Last edited by a moderator:
That looks like its tracking from sumwere.If it was the pipe it would possibly be pouring out,trace the pipe to were it goes to and you may find the fault

I would say judging from the photo that it will be running along the pipe. If you have a cylinder fitted in a nearby cupboard have a look underneath where you might find the pump and valves. Check in there for leaks.

The toilet tissue suggestion will show you which side it's coming from.

I put the toilet tissue on and it stopped, but neither piece of paper was wet, its now stopped dripping altogether, but it does still feel slightly wet to touch.
pipeleft.jpg
The above image shows the pipe going off to the left, best guess to the bath cold tap?? I'm thinking that gauze looking thing by the baton would absorb a drip from that end, and ultimately make the wet patch appear underneath that end of the ceiling.

piperight.jpg

This is it going to the right (highlighted the pipe in red), best guess is that this splits to the right to the bathroom sink, but to the left them pipes all go down to the gloworm, so does that mean its a hot water pipe?

I've ran all the taps too and still it hasnt returned.

Edit: If you write hot water as one long word - the forum filters it as ho****er. :)

If it has stopped with the tissue on the pipe, this suggests that it is tracking along the pipe and is being absorbed by the tissue.

As tissue is very absorbent, it could take quite a while (as it is a small leak) before the tissue becomes noticeably damp. I'd leave it on the pipe for a longer time and see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Wet patch on kitchen ceiling in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hey guys I know this ain't plumbing. But some of you may know. I have a small bathroom but water seems to leak to the kitchen. I realised under...
Replies
Views
Where and how does the water supply work and is there only one rising main pipe and where is it usually located? I am top floor flat, mains fed...
Replies
Views
I'll start this by saying I'm hoping to sort this by diy / minimal professional help as I'm a very tight budget! I've got a walk-in shower in a...
Replies
Views
  • Question
A while ago I replaced a leaky, corroded sink trap. That all appears to be fine, I can't find any leaks with it, and everything under the sink...
Replies
Views
Hi. I'm currently estimating on installing a new shower pump to feed an existing bath/shower diverter. Hot side: fit flange and spherical valve...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock