Discuss Wet patch on kitchen ceiling in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay I think I found it. I tried touching the pipe to see if it was still wet, and it felt a ever so slightly rough. I scratched it and now there is a miniscule spray, it looks like a strand of spider web its so small.

Repair suggestions? Call a plumber or do it myself? While googling repair ideas I saw something called alfa tape which is allegedly perfect for such things? Is it the real deal?

spray.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
No tape is the real deal imo,call a plumber,if it is at a joint he may be able to just re-solder it

There are various repair tapes that may fix it eg self-amalgamating, but I would not rely on any of these as a permanent solution.

Cutting out the leaking section and replacing with a new bit, joined in, preferably with soldered connections. You could use compression joints, although I'm sure you would be advised against this it they are inaccesible for inspection in the future.

I don't know whether you have the skills and tools to solder, but you will NOT be able to do this if there is ANY water left in the pipe when you try it.

Last edited by a moderator:
PS By the time you have bought a long length of pipe (you will not be able to buy 1 foot) and all the fittings at retail prices, it might be as cheap to get a plumber, but get a quote first for the job, including call-out.

If possible, use a plumber a friend can recommend.

My girlfriend just got a number for her work collegues brother, whos a registered plumber, so I'll give him a bell. Any rough approximation for the price? I'm guessing once the waters shut off and the pipes drained its a 1/2 hour job for someone whos been doing it for years, especially as the leaks been identified and access has been made.

Simple job to fix. Cut the pipe and insert a fitting. A reasonable charge would be £50 - 70

If it's localised, you could fit one these:-

Repair 15 x 100mm | NoLinkingToThis

Easy enough to do.

Yeah it is localised. I've called someone who said, based on what I've told him, he can do it for £20 - £30 quid.

Don't forget your £100 donation to charity for the advice received on this forum ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Wet patch on kitchen ceiling in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hey guys I know this ain't plumbing. But some of you may know. I have a small bathroom but water seems to leak to the kitchen. I realised under...
Replies
Views
Where and how does the water supply work and is there only one rising main pipe and where is it usually located? I am top floor flat, mains fed...
Replies
Views
I'll start this by saying I'm hoping to sort this by diy / minimal professional help as I'm a very tight budget! I've got a walk-in shower in a...
Replies
Views
  • Question
A while ago I replaced a leaky, corroded sink trap. That all appears to be fine, I can't find any leaks with it, and everything under the sink...
Replies
Views
Hi. I'm currently estimating on installing a new shower pump to feed an existing bath/shower diverter. Hot side: fit flange and spherical valve...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock