Search the forum,

Discuss Worst job in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

helpsy

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Since you started work what is the worst job you have done ?
mine was a mechanic at Renault for 5 1/2 years upon leaving school.

Mine was unblocking a sewer at a Nursing Home ( Sorry Aged Care Facility - Political Correctness)
It was in the basement / underground car park.

Gum boots, ( you guys call the Wellies) gloves, t/shirt and shorts and a Rigid sewer machine with cables flying around in about 8" of effluent.

Got the blockage sorted and cleaned out the carpark with fire hoses.
Then we cleaned each other - with the fire hoses.

Guess what - still doing the same job.
It the first and only one I ever had.

It was in the days of bricks as phones.
I'm sure if it was today - it would be a Youtube sensation.

Installing for a company that expected me to still be on site at 5pm! Ha ha the madness of it! I was there a day! Haven't people heard of deal or no deal?!

Machine tool fitter apprentice, basically chained to Mills, Grinders and Lathes all day every day.

A factory pushing desk tops around then loading them into a big machine then back out again then pushing them around again then same again.

It was really mind numbing I only lasted 6 weeks of it before I quit and started my apprenticeship.

McDonalds trying to get extra cash while training getting talked down to every day!

right at end of the 1st year of my apprenticeship we were doing main replacements from the street stop tap to internal 2 month contract just so happened it fell in December and January freezing and soaked and full of mud most days

Pot washing in a hotel kitchen...lasted 2 hours, went on my break and walked home. Never went back.

Working for a laundry /rag trade equipment co had to clean out a sooted up control flamed boiler had to have 3 baths one after the other the soot was ground in for days ....he wondered why I told him I was leaving as he gave Me ÂŁ1.00 dirty money for my inconvenience....lol happy days regards Turnpin:wazzzup:

school bursar at a girls school, only 4 men in the place, 300 plus women all synchronising their time of month is not a good place to be, despite what you all think!!!!

Setting up a ltd construction company when I was 18! Asmat construction ltd.

Teenage summer temp job...machine riveting the fuse clip on a plug pin.

I had to do 30 a minute and nearly lost my finger a few times so upped and left after an hour.

Replacing a gas boiler at a sewage works as an apprentice. Caked solid with sulphur from the sewage gas they used and you ended up stinking as bad at the end of it! Remember the large concrete tank out the back with the crust of congealed cr@p on top and all the nodders blown up from the gas. Always wondered what would have happened if I'd dropped a match in there..... :nuke: One bright bit: the gaffer was having a clear out of the workshop and us yoofs were given all the old scut mags they wanted rid of! :tounge_smile:

Another time replacing pipework at an abattoir. Fine until they emptied the blood storage tank: you ain't smelt anything like 1000 gallons of week-old blood! Plus we couldn't work until after they'd shut down the lines so there I was working in a deserted slaughterhouse late at night with all those funny noises, feral cats creeping around the place ..... :eek:

Machine tool fitter apprentice, basically chained to Mills, Grinders and Lathes all day every day.

Same as me pal.
Done way too many years in a single brick building, old iron window frames with picture glass, doors open 24-7.
You'd stick to the surface tables in the winter, no joke it was that cold.
Done over a year of nightshift on my own, and all the day shift used to leave the right ba5tard jobs for you to do.
Hated it.
Though I like engineering and engineering prog's.Just hated working where I was.
The manager would come down to see how you were progressing with a job, and pick-up the detailed drawing provided, reading it upside down.

I worked on a hospital refurb in Scarborough, 2 hours travel each way a day, so 13 hours out the house only paid 8. Travel in my own car with expenses that left me a fiver short of petrol cost. At ÂŁ11 an hour for 4 months. Gutted I'd done a four year apprenticeship just for that lol.

blocked toilet in student household in plymouth. didnt have an auger so had to remove pan. it was chocka block lol, took the pan out in the yard and blew it all out with a hose pipe, gagging me lungs up lol !!!!

Three of us got an agency job in a factory in Slough years ago. Turned up and each got given a different colour paint tin and told to paint the pipes from the source the correct colour all thro this factory. dead easy until they went into the ceiling or thro a wall as we were paid by the metre
we gave up trying to identify the correct ones in the end and just kept on painting !.

Looking back one was gas and the other two hot and cold he he CHK

refit a dentists room while the other rooms were still being used.. the noise of the drills scared me for life lol

we used to do loads of washing machine installs for Currys in Somerset. Frank my partner went to one..........the customer wanted a machine cause her hubby was ill and needed the laundry done
regular. Frank turns up starts banging waste out but was asked to be quiet. Then the priest turns up
along with a load of female mourners........the fella had passed on ! I get a call from Franks wife to say go and get him ---- he was hammered.........he had been at the wake all afternoon drinking
bushmills with the priest ! He did not surface for a whole day after centralheatking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Worst job in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Morning to any Australians lurking around! Register its free, then message me, I'll sort your account out for you. We will need a moderator from each main country too. I'll post this in the Australian forum now.
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock