Discuss A strange dripping tap problem in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
RingRing

Hello?

Hi you came round and re-washered my tap the other day.

Ok.

Well it's not leaking anymore but I've since been chatting to plumbers online and they say I should get you back to re-seat it anyway.

*click*

T&C's on said plumber's website:-

The passing of water is a natural process, and whereas every effort will be made to prevent the passing of water when taps are re-washered by us, no guarantee can be given that said tap will be drip-free.

For anyone experiencing problems with taps dripping after they have been repaired by us, we recommend turning off the water at the stopcock after each usage of the tap, followed by draining the pipe leading to the tap in question, which should render said tap drip-free.

Further assistance can be sought through our Customer Services Department – please ask for head of drips.

Later..............

ring... ring...

Customer: “Hello, it’s about my dripping tap!”

Plumber: “Oh no! Don’t tell me you’re still dripping on about your flaming taps!”

Customer: “I don’t like your attitude – I’ve had a basin full!”

Plumber: “Oh turn it off will you!”

Customer: “You promised me my taps would be leak free!”

Plumber: “Yeah, well, I haven’t charged you for the leaks, have I?”

Customer: “But my tap is still passing water!”

Plumber: “So am I at the moment, I’m on hands-free!”

Customer: “This dripping is driving me mad!”

Plumber: “Tell me about it!”

Customer: “Surely you can pull something out of the bag!”

Plumber: “Don’t you bring my wife into this!”

Customer: “I’ve been told my seat needs cutting”!

Plumber: “Probably too many burgers!”

Customer: “Don’t change the subject, my tap’s still running!”

Plumber: “So is the old nag I backed in the 3.30, but you don’t hear me moaning about it!”

Customer: “I’m lost for words!”

Plumber: “OK, so save on your phone bill!”

[FONT=&amp]Click … brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.[/FONT]

I have had the problem for years and always assumed it was the washer, but the workaround (turn off the other tap) always worked so I didn't bother.

The plumber spent 2 days installing new boiler etc, but said he would look at the tap before he left, especially as the hot tap would now be at mains pressure for the first time.

He was in a rush to leave, as the boiler took longer than he thought. It only took a few minutes to change the washers, and he TOLD me the seats were OK (but he was in a rush so may have said this even if they weren't).

It seemed OK when I tried the taps, but just after he left the symptoms started again, just like before.

He didn't charge for doing the washers (I was paying him £2000 anyway) so I would not expect him to come back just for this, but if the boiler goes wrong I will ask him to have another look when he comes.

I have had the problem for years and always assumed it was the washer, but the workaround (turn off the other tap) always worked so I didn't bother.

The plumber spent 2 days installing new boiler etc, but said he would look at the tap before he left, especially as the hot tap would now be at mains pressure for the first time.

He was in a rush to leave, as the boiler took longer than he thought. It only took a few minutes to change the washers, and he TOLD me the seats were OK (but he was in a rush so may have said this even if they weren't).

It seemed OK when I tried the taps, but just after he left the symptoms started again, just like before.

He didn't charge for doing the washers (I was paying him £2000 anyway) so I would not expect him to come back just for this, but if the boiler goes wrong I will ask him to have another look when he comes.

Or have a go yourself maybe?

Draper 12701 Tap Reseating Tool (17, 19 and 25 mm): Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

( Sorry for lack of replies - on Hol )

Question , Does the " Open the other tap trick " work with any other tap in house ,
Thinking of a pressure build up ! Finding its way out at weakest point

( Do you have a water meter fitted )

I really don't get this reseating malarky! :uhoh2:

Been doing reactive for years and never had to reseat one single tap.

Had a blob of solder stuck to the seating once, flicked it off with a screwy, rewashered, done! :smilewinkgrin:

( sorry for lack of replies - on hol )

question , does the " open the other tap trick " work with any other tap in house ,
thinking of a pressure build up ! Finding its way out at weakest point

( do you have a water meter fitted )

yes to the 2nd bit.

It only applies to the kitchen mixer tap, but (as previously said) my partner has same problem in her house, but the other way around.

Last edited by a moderator:
So what you're saying is...........

She can't bear to be with you fulltime?

yes to the 2nd bit.

It only applies to the kitchen mixer tap, but (as previously said) my partner has same problem in her house, but the other way around.

She was just a friend at the start of the thread and now she's your partner - congratulations :hurray:
maybe buy a place together where all the taps work ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to A strange dripping tap problem in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have a plumber coming tomorrow to change a cartridge on a badly dripping tap on my bathroom mixer unit. There is no separate isolating valve for...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock