Currently reading:
A strange dripping tap problem

Discuss A strange dripping tap problem in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

stratobuddy

Both a friend and I have the same problem.

We both have single pillar mixer taps over the kitchen sink.

When I turn off my cold tap (using normal force) it invariabbly drips, sometimes a minute or so after turning it off.

It doesn't matter how hard I turn it off, the drip will not stop.

But if I momentarily turn on the hot tap then turn it off again (even though I haven't used it) the cold tap stops dripping.

In my friend's house, it is her hot tap that drips and she has to turn the cold tap on and off to stop it.

I spoke to my local plumber, he had never come acreoss this problem and couldn't explain it.

Both my taps have just been rewashered, but this has made no difference to the strange dripping.

Has anyone got an explanation?

RingRing

Hello?

Hi you came round and re-washered my tap the other day.

Ok.

Well it's not leaking anymore but I've since been chatting to plumbers online and they say I should get you back to re-seat it anyway.

*click*

T&C's on said plumber's website:-

The passing of water is a natural process, and whereas every effort will be made to prevent the passing of water when taps are re-washered by us, no guarantee can be given that said tap will be drip-free.

For anyone experiencing problems with taps dripping after they have been repaired by us, we recommend turning off the water at the stopcock after each usage of the tap, followed by draining the pipe leading to the tap in question, which should render said tap drip-free.

Further assistance can be sought through our Customer Services Department – please ask for head of drips.

Later..............

ring... ring...

Customer: “Hello, it’s about my dripping tap!”

Plumber: “Oh no! Don’t tell me you’re still dripping on about your flaming taps!”

Customer: “I don’t like your attitude – I’ve had a basin full!”

Plumber: “Oh turn it off will you!”

Customer: “You promised me my taps would be leak free!”

Plumber: “Yeah, well, I haven’t charged you for the leaks, have I?”

Customer: “But my tap is still passing water!”

Plumber: “So am I at the moment, I’m on hands-free!”

Customer: “This dripping is driving me mad!”

Plumber: “Tell me about it!”

Customer: “Surely you can pull something out of the bag!”

Plumber: “Don’t you bring my wife into this!”

Customer: “I’ve been told my seat needs cutting”!

Plumber: “Probably too many burgers!”

Customer: “Don’t change the subject, my tap’s still running!”

Plumber: “So is the old nag I backed in the 3.30, but you don’t hear me moaning about it!”

Customer: “I’m lost for words!”

Plumber: “OK, so save on your phone bill!”

[FONT=&amp]Click … brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.[/FONT]

I have had the problem for years and always assumed it was the washer, but the workaround (turn off the other tap) always worked so I didn't bother.

The plumber spent 2 days installing new boiler etc, but said he would look at the tap before he left, especially as the hot tap would now be at mains pressure for the first time.

He was in a rush to leave, as the boiler took longer than he thought. It only took a few minutes to change the washers, and he TOLD me the seats were OK (but he was in a rush so may have said this even if they weren't).

It seemed OK when I tried the taps, but just after he left the symptoms started again, just like before.

He didn't charge for doing the washers (I was paying him £2000 anyway) so I would not expect him to come back just for this, but if the boiler goes wrong I will ask him to have another look when he comes.

I have had the problem for years and always assumed it was the washer, but the workaround (turn off the other tap) always worked so I didn't bother.

The plumber spent 2 days installing new boiler etc, but said he would look at the tap before he left, especially as the hot tap would now be at mains pressure for the first time.

He was in a rush to leave, as the boiler took longer than he thought. It only took a few minutes to change the washers, and he TOLD me the seats were OK (but he was in a rush so may have said this even if they weren't).

It seemed OK when I tried the taps, but just after he left the symptoms started again, just like before.

He didn't charge for doing the washers (I was paying him £2000 anyway) so I would not expect him to come back just for this, but if the boiler goes wrong I will ask him to have another look when he comes.

Or have a go yourself maybe?

Draper 12701 Tap Reseating Tool (17, 19 and 25 mm): Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

( Sorry for lack of replies - on Hol )

Question , Does the " Open the other tap trick " work with any other tap in house ,
Thinking of a pressure build up ! Finding its way out at weakest point

( Do you have a water meter fitted )

I really don't get this reseating malarky! :uhoh2:

Been doing reactive for years and never had to reseat one single tap.

Had a blob of solder stuck to the seating once, flicked it off with a screwy, rewashered, done! :smilewinkgrin:

( sorry for lack of replies - on hol )

question , does the " open the other tap trick " work with any other tap in house ,
thinking of a pressure build up ! Finding its way out at weakest point

( do you have a water meter fitted )

yes to the 2nd bit.

It only applies to the kitchen mixer tap, but (as previously said) my partner has same problem in her house, but the other way around.

Last edited by a moderator:
So what you're saying is...........

She can't bear to be with you fulltime?

yes to the 2nd bit.

It only applies to the kitchen mixer tap, but (as previously said) my partner has same problem in her house, but the other way around.

She was just a friend at the start of the thread and now she's your partner - congratulations :hurray:
maybe buy a place together where all the taps work ?

Hmm! Some taps today are sold as high or low pressure. Meaning I suppose, those that work off a low pressure supply and those that work off a high pressure supply. If as you say you have just had a new boiler in and the hot water is off the high pressure supply, one assumes you have had a combi boiler fitted?

What that basically means is that the hot and cold tap now both share a common high pressure supply so the hot will affect the cold. You can check it yourself. Turn the hot water on and watch the speed it comes out the tap, then turn the cold on and see if the hot water runs slower. You have then established a link between the two taps.

All this high and low pressure tap stuff is relatively modern, I suppose because we import so much now days from countries that use different water systems than we do now. Most of our cold and hot supplies because of the wide spread use of combi boilers now come off the water main supply, which is usually regarded as high pressure as opposed to a gravity supply from a storage cistern which is usually regarded as low pressure.

And of course price, a low pressure product is probably made to a lower standard than high pressure so cheaper to make.
As has already been said, when you first turn off a tap a certain amount of water is held by the vacuum made behind the moving column of water in the spout and this takes a while to stop dripping.

The basic thing is though, if you turn a screw down tap off and it is working properly it should not keep dripping unless there is a further problem. The lads are saying it might be the seating and that may very well be the cause.
But there are a few types of same size tap washer and some are made of different materials, some designed for different makes of tap, some designed for different temperatures and possibly pressures and some the amount of torque a person applies to the tap. So are they the right washers for the taps you have?

Also the fact that when you turn the hot tap on it affects the dripping cold might mean the tap cannot hold the static water pressure of the main to close properly, but it can close when the reduced dynamic pressure is applied. But in theory if that where so, then once the hot tap was turned off the cold should start to drip again. Does it?

Basically ceramic disc taps ae okay but they can drip as well if any dirt gets onto the disc faces or they become worn for some reason.

As said though, to be sure I would take the easy and possibly cheapest option first and check the washer type then re-cut the seating if it is required. You could then Google your tap type and make and find out what pressure the tap is designed to take.
Normally though like somebody has said about re-washering, I have re-washered so many taps over the years I can't count them and very rarely been required to reseat a tap. Also usually a standard good quality vulcanised 1/2" flat tap washer has been sufficient for a standard screw down tap. But washers on taps can get complicated and we have not even spoken about the variety of jumpers or special washers you can get yet :) :).

I like your post Bernie2. But I wonder if there is a human factor to these two dripping mixer taps that is being missed?

I.e. could there be a romantic dimension?

Sometimes the simplest of things can keep a relationship going.

There used be an ad on TV where a rather fit looking older woman was always running out of coffee and knocking on the guy in the flat above's door and scrounging a cup of coffee. Their eyes would meet, he'd crack a big smile, and then he'd invite her in and give her one.

I'm not suggesting that circumstances are exactly the same here. But having leaking mixer taps in common could be something that creates a talking point, and a reason to knock on the other person's door to discuss the flow.

Could it be that there is a cry for help here that is not being recognised?

If stratobuddy would like to open up on any human dimension issues, perhaps someone on here with counselling skills can respond?

I thought I detected some ambivalence towards the plumber who allegedly buggered up the bleed valves on two of stratobuddy's radiators. I'm not sure that he's moved on from that yet?

I also wonder if it's the same plumber that fitted washers to the said mixer tap as a freebie when he installed a boiler, which has created a dilemma for strato, in that he feels unable to call him back until the boiler goes wrong.

I suspect there are a lot of mixed feelings involved with this mixer tap.

I'll look out my copy of Claire Rayner's fix-it manual, and see if I can throw any more light on this!

All possible petercj. But I wonder does counselling come under a day rate item or would they ask for a price? I'll have to ask the postman they are supposed to be good at it or the real expert or so it is said, the bar maid. I am sure many on the forum have had extensive counselling off many a bar maid or bar man. Perhaps it may open up new opportunities for the trade. I notice somebody already posts from "tap talk" so we are starting. We could have ACS in counselling added to all the gas ACS. Hmm?

As you plumbers have plenty of acronyms eg FOV, TRV, GSR etc.

Here is a new one for you - - - LATTING.

This means "living apart together" which is a relationship which has the best of both worlds ie we both have our own houses and live in either of them, or separately if we want to. This has been going on for well over 7 years.

So I think our kitchen taps have also developed a relationship with each other, exept mine is cold-hot-cold and hers is hot-cold-hot.

This means "living apart together" which is a relationship which has the best of both worlds ie we both have our own houses and live in either of them, or separately if we want to. This has been going on for well over 7 years.

So I think our kitchen taps have also developed a relationship with each other, exept mine is cold-hot-cold and hers is hot-cold-hot.

Sounds like a nice arrangement to me stratobuddy - I would imagine you see the best of each other, and are able to withdraw to home-ground if things start looking tense.

Ironic about the taps though! chc & hch ... sounds a bit like a dance routine! ;-)

Once in a blue moon you'll get away with it, but for the sake of 2 minutes with a reseating tool.........

I must have changed thousand of washers for housing asociations over the years and have never once used a reseating tool.
Weird that

I must have changed thousand of washers for housing asociations over the years and have never once used a reseating tool.
Weird that

Perhaps they get the taps re-washered as soon as they start to drip - presumably, being housing association properties they don't have to pay for it?

We don't have "ard taps" down here, but we do have aggressive water - filled a bucket the other day and it gave me a right mouthful!

I did work for a couple who've been living under this arrangement for 20 years and they're happy as larry. I suggested it to the wife but she put me in my place lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to A strange dripping tap problem in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock