Discuss BBC .. Couples 48 year old boiler finally packs up in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

I haven’t seen a Hotspur oil boiler for many years now.
They usually were only replaced because customers thought they were perhaps would eventually pack in. But they rarely failed and I don’t remember any leaking.
Not much moving parts except a motor though.
I have replaced an oil boiler recently that was perfectly working, virtually original and near 60 years old.

They don't make them like they used to. Good luck getting 50 years out of any modern oil boiler, my guess is 5-7 before problems arise

Some of the modern (Grant) condensing oil boilers I have installed are now well over 10 years old and so far no bother at all with them and no parts needed except the usual nozzle and oil hose at a service. So fingers crossed they last many more years.
I think if the install is done properly, good servicing and the boiler decent quality it should last well.

I agree Best to a degree. Like you we installed a lot of Grant, I liked their boilers so much i chose to do my OFTEC through Grant in Wiltshire but even their boilers aren't invincible Riello burners are usually pretty bomb proof but we all know their pumps are c**p. If the system is installed correctly, flushed, dosed and regularly maintained and all points checked then yes its lifespan is vastly improved, however a lot of people install wrong or the customer doesn't have it routinely maintained, its swings and roundabouts.

I agree Best to a degree. Like you we installed a lot of Grant, I liked their boilers so much i chose to do my OFTEC through Grant in Wiltshire but even their boilers aren't invincible Riello burners are usually pretty bomb proof but we all know their pumps are c**p. If the system is installed correctly, flushed, dosed and regularly maintained and all points checked then yes its lifespan is vastly improved, however a lot of people install wrong or the customer doesn't have it routinely maintained, its swings and roundabouts.
Was it Honeywell control box , and the boiler had to be perfectly level, or the flame ended up on one side.

Reply to BBC .. Couples 48 year old boiler finally packs up in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

D
First time posting on here and I am after some help and advice on a project I have ongoing at home - a bit cheeky I know but as they say around...
Replies
Views
D
Hi I am seeking some advise regarding my Ferroli F24 Boiler. We are experiencing problems where when the boiler has been used for a period i.e...
Replies
Views
A
Hello, Sorry for the long post, but I think detailed information will help you in providing maximum input! I live in a 3 bedroom, 2...
Replies
Views
S
Hi and thanks in advance for any advice It’s a little long as quite simply I need to be sure whether I can get a free repair as it’ll be after...
Replies
Views
G
Hi, I bought my first home last year and have had no real problems with it until last week there was a knock on my door and it was the fire...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock