Discuss british gas work good or bad in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
the big white thing with a door that washes closes in the kitchen is a total mystery to me,its a bosch and just like its wall hung version has lots of plastic bits and a blue light

You were stupidly gullible on this occasion.
I wasn't gullible mate, it was obvious that I'd damaged it, either that or a coincidence and the customer can't lie as to how much the repair was, as British Gas will want a receipt for the part used and the work carried out. One thing I did learn from this experience, was that if a washing machine is in your way, move it and advise the customer that in order to work on the boiler in future, the washing machine will have to be moved for access or a unit built over it.

I wasn't gullible mate, it was obvious that I'd damaged it, either that or a coincidence and the customer can't lie as to how much the repair was, as British Gas will want a receipt for the part used and the work carried out. One thing I did learn from this experience, was that if a washing machine is in your way, move it and advise the customer that in order to work on the boiler in future, the washing machine will have to be moved for access or a unit built over it.
i bet it was knackered before you started stitched up springs to mind,you move it and it leaks thats also your fault i cant see how by standing on it you can make the pcb fail sorry but thats not washing with me i would have disputed that claim

Last edited by a moderator:

move it and rip lino so stitched any hows

i bet it was knackered before you started stitched up springs to mind,you move it and it leaks thats also your fault i cant see how by standing on it you can make the pcb fail sorry but thats not washing with me i would have disputed that claim
me neither

That's the difference between British Gas and you. We don't argue with the customer, if there is a doubt it was us at fault then we put it right. I know for a fact this customer wasn't taking the Mick, she was genuine, and as the pcb is situated right at the front of the washing machine where I put my foot, then how can I say it wasn't me?

I love the way the people who are quick to have a go at British Gas are suddenly saying that if they were in the same situation as I was with the washing machine, would argue the toss with the customer saying "it's not my fault" lol

That's the difference between British Gas and you. We don't argue with the customer, if there is a doubt it was us at fault then we put it right. I know for a fact this customer wasn't taking the Mick, she was genuine, and as the pcb is situated right at the front of the washing machine where I put my foot, then how can I say it wasn't me?

As said you were gullible but then again the cost of the repair never came out of your pocket so no skin of your rse. The difference between your world and ours is your big buffer zone. (my buffer is called insurance but i still have to justify to them)

I love the way the people who are quick to have a go at British Gas are suddenly saying that if they were in the same situation as I was with the washing machine, would argue the toss with the customer saying "it's not my fault" lol

You don't need to argue anything as you work for a multi million ÂŁ corporation who will cover your rse!

As said you were gullible but then again the cost of the repair never came out of your pocket so no skin of your rse. The difference between your world and ours is your big buffer zone. (my buffer is called insurance but i still have to justify to them)
Customers want peace of mind that if it does go **** up then it will be put right. Still waiting for a reply from the original poster of this topic. Hmmmmmmmm

on the 11 of last month we had new boiler fitted by british gas all worked well for a month,the fitter put the condensation pipe into the wc waste pipe
and filled it with filler we didnot no this till we emptyed the bath one night and had water leaking down the wall from the joint call british gas back out to do repair it took them 7days to come out to do repair ,they put more filler on the joint and its still leaking,had a new fitter out and he has put a advice notice on the boiler saying the flue is not angled back correctly,but my pipe is still leaking ,any one no what i can do about this british gas dontwant to no,

I'm still here and waiting to help in any way I can, if you really have got a problem with your installation that's only 5 weeks old then please let me help you.

Er no its called customer care , take care and pride in your work then all good quite clearly you dont as you have an attitude of bg bail out

Customers want peace of mind that if it does go **** up then it will be put right. Still waiting for a reply from the original poster of this topic. Hmmmmmmmm

And big gas are the only company in the land that gives peace of mind?. Talk sense. Even your 1 man band will go the extra mile for customer satisfaction. (excluding the cowboys who are here today gone tomorrow)

Can this please stop sometime soon? I'm actually bored of hearing about it. Too many threads about this...They are all same, end up been nothing to do with original post.

As I said.......... Still waiting for a reply from the original poster of this topic. Hmmmmmmmm

hi doodlebug if you can let me have a email address i will show you the pics of the poor work ,and yes he was in a bg van and uniform

615.jpg622.jpg
A high percentage of installation work is carried out by contractors, was this the case here or was there a British Gas van on the job? As I said earlier, demand this is put right, British Gas aren't always perfect but I can assure you they will always put the job right. Can you look on the paperwork for a work request number and pm me, I will make sure you are looked after.
hi , this is a pic of the joint that is leaking,and the pipe work in the bed room it looks a mess

They have cracked the strap on boss by the looks of it need to replace it with new not just keep covering it up with silicone

i would suggest you take doodlebug up on his offer and send him the job number so he can raise concerns on your behalf . Am sure when he sees the pictures he will be disappointed in the quality but he will get someone on it for you.

kind offer doodlebug

hi doodlebug the job number is 43918010 work done on the 12,10 and 13,10,2012,thks for your help ,pete

if you have no joy come back and let me know we cover that area and i have a lad in mansfield that will come down. but i would imagine doodlebug will sort you out

Fair play to Bod and Doodlebug for there efforts to help. I hope you get it sorted.
I admire Doodlebug for the way he defends his employer but definatly time to move on from this one. (However fun it has been) ;-)

on the 11 of last month we had new boiler fitted by british gas all worked well for a month,the fitter put the condensation pipe into the wc waste pipe
and filled it with filler we didnot no this till we emptyed the bath one night and had water leaking down the wall from the joint call british gas back out to do repair it took them 7days to come out to do repair ,they put more filler on the joint and its still leaking,had a new fitter out and he has put a advice notice on the boiler saying the flue is not angled back correctly,but my pipe is still leaking ,any one no what i can do about this british gas dontwant to no,

Make a complaint to British Gas Customer Services giving them 28 days to correct matters - details here:-

HomeCare® Complaints Process - British Gas

If they don't respond to your satisfaction within the 28 days, then put a complaint in to:-

Financial Ombudsman Service

Put the relevant job numbers in the heading of the complaint, and some photographs of the problem.

Include the same for the Ombudsman, plus copies of any other relevant paper work, job sheets, invoice, etc.

hi doodlebug the job number is 43918010 work done on the 12,10 and 13,10,2012,thks for your help ,pete

Thanks mate, I will look into this and get back to you, from looking at the pictures, I have to agree, it's not acceptable and I wouldn't be happy either. I've got a mate who works in Nottingham, I will get the managers name and number from him.

Thank you Doodles. You're in a small minority as far as BG bashing is concerned but I admire that you stick to your guns and are prepared to go do a bit to try and turn a negative into a positive.

A bad report is around the world before a good report has its boots on!

I've just drawn up a nice email with photos attached, which I will be sending to Chris Jansen if I get no joy with this complaint. I will be happy to send you a copy of the email, just inbox me your email address.

Thank you Doodles. You're in a small minority as far as BG bashing is concerned but I admire that you stick to your guns and are prepared to go do a bit to try and turn a negative into a positive.

A bad report is around the world before a good report has its boots on!

Unfortunately, many of Doodle's colleagues fail to show the diligence and concern for customers as he does.

BG have been fined many millions of pounds for failing to deal with customer's complaints properly (and that is a fact anyone can check out via goggle).

Any properly run company will seek to put right their mistakes as soon as possible, but the first step is to admit that a mistake has been made, and for many years BG have just deflected criticism and failed to recognise the validity of customer's complaints.

Having put things right, the next step is to do everything possible to ensure that similar mistakes are not repeated.

Yes, everyone makes mistakes, and the bigger the company, the more mistakes can be made, but the obvious thing to do is to reduce the potential for error as far as possible. The first rung on that ladder is to make sure staff are properly trained and competent, and have the necessary knowledge and skills to do the job.

Having the required knowledge and skills is essential for competent work, BUT, people also need to have the right attitude, i.e. to have some pride in the work they do. Which in my area is a real problem for BG, i.e. some of their blokes just couldn't care less: they make the visit, tick the boxes on the sheet, and they're off to the next job.

BG still has some of the old institutional ways, i.e. staff get everything supplied, and the impression I get is that managers are quite supportive and that there exists a strong sense of esprit de corps between the staff that is shared and supported by management. Which essentially is a good thing imo.

However, to maintain standards and an organisation's reputation, there needs to be some discipline amongst staff that comes to bear when individuals repeatedly show little interest in the job, and regularly produce shoddy work.

It's not unusual these days for managers to say: "oh it's a training issue!"

If someone doesn't have the prerequisite knowledge or skills, then fair enough, provide further training and support - I'm totally in favour of that.

But when come-backs reach a certain point, and when the blokes involved know very well what they should be doing, saying it's: "a training issue" can be just a way of avoiding taking the appropriate action, i.e. it's about management ducking responsibility for maintaining standards.

Which is what I've seen happen with BG in my area.

If the OP puts in a complaint to BG it will be feedback on the local manager's ability to maintain standards, so I hope they take that course of action. In theory, it might save other BG customers from being left with shoddy workmanship.

That photo shows a shocking lack of anything and the installer should be ashamed. After an installation is completed, is it not inspected by a manager or someone relevant who deals with quality control?

At least Doodlebug you are doing the forum justice by going the extra mile to solve someone's problem. For that you are to be commended.

One thing I would say to you is that no matter how many times you praise the company, if there are cut backs resulting in redundancies, you are only one of many and will find yourself on the scrapheap like every one else.

Good on you for helping out though.

A really bad attempt at fitting a strap on boss. A 1st year apprentice would have done better.
The hole has been drilled too big for the strap on boss. It will need a different make to cover it, possibly a polypipe would do. If not the 4" pipe needs cut out and a new piece inserted which will no doubt be beyond the abilities of a bg fitter since there is a glued boss branch above which makes it harder to do.
Lovely position for a digistat too! Get that moved while they are at it. It is useless fitted in there.

A really bad attempt at fitting a strap on boss. A 1st year apprentice would have done better.
The hole has been drilled too big for the strap on boss. It will need a different make to cover it, possibly a polypipe would do. If not the 4" pipe needs cut out and a new piece inserted which will no doubt be beyond the abilities of a bg fitter since there is a glued boss branch above which makes it harder to do.
Lovely position for a digistat too! Get that moved while they are at it. It is useless fitted in there.

I agree mate, there is a lot of thing that need correcting. I've saved the photos and this will be dealt with, trust me.

Hi Pete,
Tried to get some info on your installation today. That work request number doesn't seem to be long enough and all our work request numbers begin with "13".
If you can look through the paperwork and inbox me as much info as possible, ie: have you got any engineer names or pay numbers?
It would be even better if you could inbox me your full postal address as I can get job details through that. Sorry to ask so many questions just I am struggling to help with that number you gave me.

Hi mate, have you had any job with your complaint? I can't find you with that job number, maybe installation side of business use different numbers to service and repair, if you can give me some more info I will get it sorted for you mate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to british gas work good or bad in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Just been to a nightmare of a job! Had to carry out a service on the 2009 British Gas 330 + (GC: 41-019-11) It's a Glow Worm boiler. The boiler...
Replies
Views
Hello I have a condensate pipe that appears to be leaking at the joint. How do I fix the leak? Would something like plumbers putty around the...
Replies
Views
Had conventional boiler and tanks removed last year and new combi fitted and just recently had it serviced but the guy who did it has given me a...
Replies
Views
  • Article
A Plumber Who Worked Illegally Gets A Suspended Sentence After Falsely Claiming To Be Gas Safe Registered. A Plumber in Herefordshire was...
Replies
Views
Greetings All One Week Before Christmas, Ok got this British Gas 330+ my late mother had installed 10 years ago. Been working OK ish up till now...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock