Discuss bs en 806-3 pipesize in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

leiadad

Gas Engineer
I am currently doing a project at uni, on pipe sizing and can't understand why bs en 806-3 does not take account for elevation into pipe sizing. I understand that the loading units have been accounted for so probabe demand is not necessary and that head loss through pipework is taken care of but I can't understand that if u need to lift pipe 5 metres or 50 metres then there is no difference in pipe designed in this way.

I have also been asked to do 3 othter types of design and compare, of which I am using thomas box, bs 8338 and I can't think of another way to do it, if anybody can give me one more suggestion

If you're at uni, please try to improve your sentences, spelling and grammar. Student support may well have someone to help if you aredyslexic, and even if you are not. As it stands, you sound like a capable student and are asking interesting questions, but you simply will not get the marks you would deserve if you are not able to communicate these views such that a marker can, easily, see what you mean. Markers will not assume you know something - you need to state it, and you need to be clear.

My uni had a learning support team that would give free courses on various study skills. Not enough for everyone to be able to go - but most people don't go, so it was quite easy to get an appointment.

I'd like to help, but cannot quite work out what you are on about, especially in your second post. Possibly I don't have the knowledge, but as it is, I don't understand the question. Are you able to re-phrase please?

You are.:p:p:p:p

86F44B6D-CBFC-46A9-AE02-FDA705DBA728.jpeg

ha ha I didn't think I would be tested for grammer on here, anyway what I am trying to say is that on 806 a pipe can be selected using only flow rates as probable demand and has been accounted for within the flow rate. My question Is why is there nothing mentioned about the pressure that is within the pipe. The tabulation method does mention this pressure and will gain pressure on a vertical drop and lose pressure on a vertical rise which will effectively give a pipe size to suit the installation whereas 806 won't. 806 also only gives max lengths of pipe on any type of pipe up to 6 loading units which I am struggling to undersrand as well. Sorry if you couldn't understand in the earlier post.

The only other way I can put it would be, if I was planning for a building with 6 loading units and 25 metres height, with an initial pressure of 3 bar, then surely the 15mm pipe recommended in 806 would be no good due to the initial loss of head on vertical riser

You will note I have not edited my original post since your reply. It does not read as you have quoted it. When I view it on my screen, I see the words 'if you aredyslexic'[sic.] . You are correct to note I have missed a space, for which I can only apologise, but that's not so bad as to miss a whole word. Are you deliberately mis-quoting me, or is there a technical imp at work?

The only other way I can put it would be, if I was planning for a building with 6 loading units and 25 metres height, with an initial pressure of 3 bar, then surely the 15mm pipe recommended in 806 would be no good due to the initial loss of head on vertical riser
I've been given a copy of 806. I haven't read it though, as I was given it as an electronic file and not on paper and I'm not really an e-person. I will try to have a look, as your question will make reading it all the more interesting... to try to see how 'they' have factored this in, if at all. As you say, it makes little sense to ignore the effect of elevation on available head.

Reply to bs en 806-3 pipesize in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi there, thanks for your time to look at this record long post!! I work on the operational management side or a small building contracting firm...
Replies
Views
H
Hi there, thanks for your time to look at this record long post!! I work on the operational management side or a small building contracting firm...
Replies
Views
HRP123
H
R.I.P. BS 6700... Fixed link. DOH! As you know BS 6700:2006+A1:2009 has been replaced with BS EN 806 in 5 parts: BS EN 806-1:2000 Incorporating...
Replies
Views
jase158
J
F
Hi, I'm a billy basic plumber and I am upgrading my house (only moved here a year ago). It is a small 1980's detached house with twin tanks in...
Replies
Views
Gray0689
G
D
Hi all, I apologies in advance for what might become a long post, and for my inaccuracies in any naming terms, and lastly, for my complete lack...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back