Discuss Compression Joints - Chrome pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mdvp

HI There,

I have just fitted a new seciton of chrome pipe onto the existing copper pipe (central heating) 15 mm

I have tightened the joints about 3/4 of a turn from when it engages with the olive. The joint seems solid, however I can twist the pipe within the joint. (the pipe is bent so there is leverage, and it is not easy, but it does move)

Do I need to tighten the joints more to avoid leaking, I obvoiusly dont want to over tighten.

Thanks

your joints will need tightning a little more, be carefull not to overtighten tho.

You will need PTFE tape and / or jointing compound such as Stag as compression rings onto chrome are more likely to weep.

If that doesn't work you could always buy a flaring tool and make a manipulative compression joint for each connection, they will not come undone ever but as a precaution you may still use ptfe for peace of mind.
The flaring tools vary in type and cost £10 - £20 from Screwfix or a local Plumbing merchant. Good luck!

Thanks, tightened them all up a bit. Have swithed it on and seems to be working OK! Fingers crossed..... (Didnt see the posts about PTFE tape - if I have any trouble Ill give this a go)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Compression Joints - Chrome pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Short version: I have about 4" of pipe sticking out of a concrete floor in a cupboard. It makes a 45-degree bend as it exists (bent, not with...
Replies
Views
A bit of clarification - I have extended a 3 bedroom semi detached and at the time central heating pipes were going in I told the plumber could I...
Replies
Views
Two years ago, I requested a fully qualified plumber to change the location of the hot water cylinder in a vented central heating system. I...
Replies
Views
Hi I replaced our leaking bathroom tap yesterday, it’s one of these mono mixer types. The existing one had 2 copper connectors which then were...
Replies
Views
C
Hi guys, After some quick advice as my builder's plumber is about to finish hte job. Basically I had a leak in the central heating system (it's...
Replies
Views
Radioman
R

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back