Discuss Conex Cuprofit-opinions please in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Guest123

I'm back to mainly using copper and soldered fittings, but there are times when a pushfit fitting would be useful, especially in hard to reach areas.
I like the look of Conex Cuprofit pushfit fittings for copper as they look much better than an ugly big plastic fitting, are also demountable and are about the same price as Speedfit. I've ruled out Yorkshire Tectite as they are not demountable.
Apreciate any opinions, good or bad from those who have experience of them.

Price comparison:
Cuprofit bend £1.34
Speedfit Bend £1.25 plus 2 inserts £1.35

Of course copper is more expensive than PBEX but to change direction with plastic, you generally have to use fittings and more pipe clips which just about cancels out the price difference. Copper I can bend and save fittings.

Try them and see how you get on, if its just the odd fitting for that hard to get place price is not a real problem

i have used the odd conex they almost dont look like push fit at a glance aswell alot better that jg white fitting on copper were u can see it!

ive used the tectites with no problems realy handy for connecting to pipes buried in concrete where you cant get rid of the water or where you dont want to mark finished surfaces
one thing to watch is the fittings are longer than normal so you cant mark where two pipes meet to cut

Try them and see how you get on, if its just the odd fitting for that hard to get place price is not a real problem
Not an option, can't experiment with peoples homes! LOL Recently had a bad experience with a Speedfit fitting, so I'm now very cautious.

Just an update. Tried these fittings today on 15mm copper pipe under a kitchen sink. They look professional and very neat and far better than those big ugly Speedfit fittings. I was a bit dubious about how effective they are, that is until I tried to dismount one from the pipe. Very difficult to remove these fittings and I was using the release tool! I've pulled Speedfit off the end of copper pipe before but these Cuprofit fittings are designed to stay on and are extremely secure and above all watertight. They do require more force to ensure full slip into the fitting than Speedfit but I'm definately now a convert and will be using them in preference to Speedfit on copper pipe.

My number 1 preference will always be soldered fittings with copper pipe, but there are lots of situations where using heat is not an option, so these Cuprofit fittings are a good alternative and quicker than compression.

Only downside is that I've only found Poofix and B&Q as a local stockist, my wee local corner merchants doesn't stock them.

Last edited by a moderator:
What happend with the Speedfit incident, blew off/dripped?

I like the look of the Conex push fits as well, are they brass bodied?

Big fan of tectite here, use it all the time. Great for tight spaces or for when its on show and end feed cant be used.

No chance of it blowing off either, grips like anything.

What happend with the Speedfit incident, blew off/dripped?

I like the look of the Conex push fits as well, are they brass bodied?
I had a 22mm flexi connected to a section of 22mm PBEX pipe and it blew off. It was properly compressed, had the correct TS insert, copper olive, correct slip into the fitting and PTFE on it. I had to connect the taps this way as they were in the middle of a bath on the opposite wall and not accessable. The connection lasted 2 weeks and blew off without warning. It was the hot supply and it's only ever happened to me once, but once is enough.
The Cuprolite fittings I'm using are the copper ones. Absolutely brilliant, very neat and very, very secure. Can't find a stockist other than S****fix though.

Here's a useful link to the website showing videos of how to use Cuprolite properly:

IBP Conex Plumbing Fitting Instructions - IBP Conex UK

All I can say is
1) Cut the pipe square with pipe cutters only, not a saw.
2) Chamfer the end and debur it with a deburring tool (red Monument plastic one is best and cost about £6)
3) Mark full slip on the pipe.... 18mm for a 15mm pipe and 22mm for a 22mm pipe
4) Check O ring in fitting, insert pipe squarely and then push fully home
5) Voila! You've now made an easy and brilliant connection that is tested to last for 50 years. JG and Hep are about 20 years.

As a wee note, the Monument external and internal deburring tool also works on 32mm and 40mm plastic push fit waste pipe for chamferring the edge before inserting it into a push fit waste fitting, so no more filing needed! Don't buy the metal one, it's cack. Available from S****fix website.
http://www.*************/p/monument-tools-internal-and-external-deburrer/75501

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you saying that it was a SpeedFit fitting which blew off the pipe (PBEX = barrier PEX?), or a compression fitting?

It was Speedfit PBEX pipe going into a compression fitting (deep throated WRAS flexi), had full slip, proper TS insert, was compressed properly with a soft copper olive and then PTFE after compressing it. It lasted 2 weeks with no problems before being set into orbit. Done hundreds of these on hot supply pipes and this is and was the first and last time it has happened.

I had to cut a small access hatch through a kitchen cupboard into the bathroom to get at it. Compressed copper into the flexi and then joined onto the copper with a Speedfit straight.

to be honest. i prefer the new hep2o stuff its alot tidier to look at speedfit is starting to look dated and bulky to me!

to be honest. i prefer the new hep2o stuff its alot tidier to look at speedfit is starting to look dated and bulky to me!
When you fit a copper Cuprofit and compare it's appearance to a big ugly bulky Speedfit and Hep20 fitting, the Cuprofit wins hands down.

Is that Conex stuff just push fit for copper pipe, or do they have their own plastic pipe & inserts aswell to go with it?

Is that Conex stuff just push fit for copper pipe, or do they have their own plastic pipe & inserts aswell to go with it?
They have individual inserts for PBEX and PB pipe, but they say that you should only use theirs and not Speedfit, Hep 20 inserts etc.
Click on the Conex Cuprofit link I made earlier and full instructions on short videos are there for their full range including compression.

Know it`s an old thread but came across what I think was these fittings on Friday and wondered if anybody has any new thoughts on them.
Thank you.

I have never used it myself being of the solder ilk, but this thread has made me take a rethink on copper push fit, I may have to give it a go using the more professional looking copper type only not the big ugly cries "DIY" plastic ones in situations where scorching or accessibility is going to be a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Conex Cuprofit-opinions please in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic...
Replies
Views
Hi all, please could anyone help me with the following issue im having. I will start off with listing the scenario in case it helps. Boiler -...
Replies
Views
Hi, looking at getting into press fit fittings as I like the speed that they can be installed on copper, and without a flame, or a big ugly...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Okay. Long storey but, I'll try & keep it as short as possible. We are buying a house that is in a little rural village so no gas. A guy...
Replies
Views
    • Informative
A month or so ago I asked on here about the pros and cons of press fitting and I said that I'd post a review after using it for a while. I...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock