Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss flux brush after soldering in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do many people use a flux brush to wipe fittings just after.soldering to help the solder run around the fitting?

Nope. Just dip the solder in the flux if needed. Wipe with wet rag once cool

I just keep dipping the solder wire in flux and adding it to the joint as I heat it

If you don't overheat the joint and use a quality flux. You shoudnt need to add more flux.

I just remembered that a chap I worked with last year used to solder his joints that way. I kid you not!

Chap did not put any solder in the joint though only on the outside.

Thought the technic was.used.to help make sure solder.had.run all the way around?

no as the solder should of already run/ entered the joint

Watched him do it a few times on his jobs and blow me not one leak. Have not tried it myself.

Yes it does hold pressure, wish I had filmed him doing now. Could have gone plumbum viral :stuart:

No,i am a proper plumber i use my fingers,flux the pipe,assemble,solder,wipe with wool or a dry rag,wet rag when cool

I used to do that when I first started just to be on the safe side, but soon realised that it was pointless

I'm with gas man on this, I use my finger, flux the pipe, push all the fittings together and whipe the excess off and stick it back in the tub

I can't stand this. It seems like a way to "polish" up what is in fact just bad technique. A side effect is that the flux brush ends up disintegrating with the hot brushing and all the bits end up in the flux pot like loads of dead midges.

It grinds my gears when I see students doing it.

Flux oxidises copper so unless you wash your fittings afterwards they will all go green the next day.

I'll be honest. That one gets on my wick if i see it, usually followed by a mouth full of abuse depending what kinda mood i'm in.

I'll be honest. That one gets on my wick if i see it, usually followed by a mouth full of abuse depending what kinda mood i'm in.
And what if your in a bad mood - physical violence ??? [emoji12]

No,i am a proper plumber i use my fingers,flux the pipe,assemble,solder,wipe with wool or a dry rag,wet rag when cool

the way I was taught nearly 30 years ago.. never fails to give a good joint and still do it that way now but talking to younger guys they use cleaning fluxes etc and wipe with flux brush afterwards but I dont see the point, as someone said, waste of flux.
I have modernised my technique with the use of a 1/2" paintbrush to get the flux on ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to flux brush after soldering in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
I'm putting a new yorkshire fitting on the end of a pipe from which an old fitting has been removed. Do I need to remove all traces of old solder...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Hi, Short version: I have about 4" of pipe sticking out of a concrete floor in a cupboard. It makes a 45-degree bend as it exists (bent, not with...
Replies
Views
I'm a complete notice and I working on my heatings motorised valves on my S plan system. I was modifying the system to add an arrester. Long story...
Replies
Views
I'm currently refurbishing a room. Plumber has been in for first fix to lay new pipework for new radiators. He's laid fresh copper pipe, however...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock