Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Help - Is this gas connection safe? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
X

x25

Hello,

I have recently moved into a newly built flat. Since moving in, there have been numerous issues and I have no confidence that the building work was carried out safely/correctly.

My current concern is that of the gas connection to my boiler. I am unsure if the way it has been connected is safe. I have posted some pictures and would appreciate any input as to wether or not this looks safe. If nessesary I will have someone inspect the installation if anyone sees a cause for concern.

Firstly, the gas enters my home here:
[DLMURL="http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/6461/img0030idc.jpg"]
http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/6461/img0030idc.jpg[/DLMURL]

Is this yellow flex allowed? I have read that flex is not allowed to pass through walls.

Then my boiler:

[DLMURL]http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/3056/img0031i.jpg[/DLMURL]
[DLMURL]http://img34.imageshack.us/img34/2296/img0032kgc.jpg[/DLMURL]
[DLMURL]http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/560/img0034y.jpg[/DLMURL]

My concern here is the white pipe. Is this the gas input? It looks very badly joint at the top and bottom. (At the top is is met by flex which doesnt look properly sealed and the bottom is filled with some sort of filler)

Is there an immediate cause for conern judging from the images? Would it be advisable to have someone inspect this set-up based on these images?

Thank you in advace,
John

Last edited by a moderator:
the white pipe in photo 1 is the condensate pipe, technically part of the gas/flue system. it does not carry live gas. the connection looks a bit "squiffy" but it may be sound, without being testing it i couldnt tell you. if it was leaking you would find water around the connection if its condensating a lot i.e. a sedbuk a boiler.

the yellow stainless steel flex pipe, is incorrect. flexible pipes are only allowed on the meter, and for connecting your cooker, tho the type you have installed isnt suitable for that application. ( different rules apply for commercial )
i also cant see in the photo a sleeve on the pipe.

you are probably not going to blow up tonight, HOWEVER get your instalation checked out by a GAS SAFE engineer tomorrow.

good luck
shaun

migo is that tracpipe a few people use it for convenience??photo is a bit cloudy
where is your meter??
the valve(emergeny control valve)should be labelled with the on/off position

it could be newbie, i really cant tell. dosnt look right to me tho. the owner seems worried, when it comes to gas i always prefer to error on the right side!

shaun

i agree far as i can see it is trac pipe so as such the only type of flexi allowed not sure without checking the sleeving requirment for trac pipe as it is sheathed/the valve does need the on/off labelling for def
connection to boiler is too cloudy for me to see

Looks like Trac pipe - no need to sleeve through wall though, as interstices or ridges allow pipe movement and are considered to be an alternative to sleeving. If in dobt get RGI to check instalation asap as migo has stated already. Nice snots and flux on the pipe work though!

Yes is looks like trac pipe, when i went to heating show i spoke to trac pipe stall, he said "trac pipe still requres sleeving through walls. " and its in manual look under 8.5.5 SOLIDWALLS , every pipe, including trac pipe passing through a solid wall must be sleeved.

heres tech data [DLMURL]http://www.omegaflex.co.uk/Documents/2008D&I.pdf[/DLMURL]

what route does yellow pipe take ? whats its length?

Heatman your right, looking at the manufactures instructions it should be treated like any other pipe and sleeved accordingly. We had a morning with Trac pipe about 5 years ago where we were told sleeving not compulsory - regs may have been changed since instalation making it Not to Current Standards? Might be one for the Gas Safe Technical help line?

yes should be sleeved and the ecv is missing instruction for what to do in an emergency so a bit of sloppy work on the regs front..

it might not be the ecv!?
if it is trac pipe, then manufactures instructions state that none of the stainless steel should be seen. after making the joint the exposed pipe (if any ) should be covered in silicone tape. brings us onto a new subject of how illegal is that fitting.
"gas fitting not installed to manufacturers instructions"
yep i know thats well over the top. but ?

shaun

Lever does look wrong, should say on the handle if it is suitable for gas, and they are usually yellow.
tracpipe looks a bit under strain, should be a nice curve. Should be silicone taped at joint and sleeved through wall.
i was always taught to sleeve all pipe work as good practise.

The lever valve looks like type that plumb center sold and although the handle is green they re suitable for gas.

It's likely that the property is timber framed and the gas pipe should be tracpipe where it passes through the external wall as per appendix 6 of IGE/UP/7 Gas in Timber Framed and Light Steel Framed Buildings.

The installation is untidy and not completely up to scratch but from the photos it doesn't look like it presents and immediate risk.

Without looking externally it's difficult to say if the pipe has been sleeved.

I think people should be a bit cautious telling people that there installation is dangerous when the only advise we can give really is to get a GSR engineer to check it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Help - Is this gas connection safe? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock