Search the forum,

Discuss Lead incoming main. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
righto, I dont do much of this, usually stick to heating and boilers but... its my mums place so I better get on ;)

her stopcock is wiped onto lead and is leaking and I gotta repair.. I know using a taft or any lead joint etc is a no no now so was planning to use a Philmac universal coupling before replacing the isolator and putting a DCV etc..
question is, are the water board supposed to replace the old lead pipes etc? my memory says they were doing it once..

Only if they find x amount of lead in the water supply tbh doesn't often happen as they will always be in there Favour

also you gas safe reg if you are contact a mod for entry into the gas safe forum

Only if they find x amount of lead in the water supply tbh doesn't often happen as they will always be in there Favour

also you gas safe reg if you are contact a mod for entry into the gas safe forum

thought as much :) philmac it is then..

no, im OFTEC but not GSR mate..

Your water board up to external stopcock. From then on its yours.

Miss my old mole skin!

Your water board up to external stopcock. From then on its yours.

Miss my old mole skin!

yea, still have a bar of tinman solder on the van.... would have liked to just whack a tinned copper tube into the lead and forget the cost of the philmac/leadloc

Oh the good old days! Boilers weighing twice as much as you! Gravity systems, potterton diplomat's. I could go on!!

Oh the good old days! Boilers weighing twice as much as you! Gravity systems, potterton diplomat's. I could go on!!

Im in Wales, still seeing that stuff :)

Mmmmmmm.

Controversial !

If the water main /pipe is staying in and it's a repair, what difference would it make to anything ?

Moving on, IF ......you did wipe it, would you use a pan and ladle or your blow lamp ?

Lead in the water supply will be a big deal for many countries in the world. World health organisation parameters for quants of lead in water too generous. Not only will all Lead pipe have to be removed soon, but copper pipe with lead soldered fittings may also present a significant risk with some types of plumbo/cupro solvent water. Other countries like USA just waking up to problem. So do not fold your plumbing business just yet!

Plumbo solvency is an issue you're right there !

Give it 25 year and we'll all be being slowly poisoned by degrading plastics

As a child with an air rifle, my hands and pockets were constantly grey, covered in lead from the pellets. Now I have an excuse for my behaviour.

Mmmmmmm.

Moving on, IF ......you did wipe it, would you use a pan and ladle or your blow lamp ?

blow lamp and lead bar..
flare the lead main, clean it up and flux it, tin the copper and flux it, whack the copper into the lead, apply heat, melt the lead bar into the flare and heat so its all jelly like... wipe and clean..

Besides replacing the entire water main, best way to deal with that is to dig a hole outside where the mains comes in to the stopcock and replace into house with new water pipe. Just put a Philmax connector outside. Keeps the house safe, as no lead to burst indoors and the rest outside could be replaced when the customer can afford or be bothered.

Plumbo solvency is an issue you're right there !

Give it 25 year and we'll all be being slowly poisoned by degrading plastics

I hear it said that there is something in plastics that is same as female hormones and this will very gradually have an effect on men by feminising us. Makes you think when you drink from a plastic bottle, particularily a bottle that uv rays get at.
So if you start liking hand bags, you now know what's happening. :smile:

As a child with an air rifle, my hands and pockets were constantly grey, covered in lead from the pellets. Now I have an excuse for my behaviour.

The used to put them in my mouth for quick loading! It's figures!!!

I hear it said that there is something in plastics that is same as female hormones and this will very gradually have an effect on men by feminising us. Makes you think when you drink from a plastic bottle, particularily a bottle that uv rays get at.

Best with lead in your pencil!

You can whack people gently with your handbag if it gets to that

Yep, in 20 years time we'll all have manboobs and find ourselves irrationally angry for one week a month.

Apparently you should never refill or reuse mineral water bottles for this reason..

Yep, in 20 years time we'll all have manboobs and find ourselves irrationally angry for one week a month.

Apparently you should never refill or reuse mineral water bottles for this reason..

Some of us have already got the manboobs! Not me though. :grin:
So right about not reusing plastic bottles! The plastic bottles taint the water if the plastic had ever got sunlight at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Lead incoming main. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it 😬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock